Explore body contract question

I have a contract in career mode to "Explore Ike".  I'm using a different mission architecture than my usual, and one of the contract requirements is to return to Kerbin from the orbit/surface of Ike. My question is: Do I need to return the craft that landed on/orbited Ike or is it enough to simply return the kerbals?  I had planned on just returning the kerbals, but got to thinking and wondering if this contract required me to return the craft - which I had planned on leaving in orbit of Duna for future missions.  Does anyone know for sure one way or the other?

2 hours ago, bewing said:

You need at least a piece of the craft. Kerbals don't count.

Follow up question - A piece?  Can it be any piece? I have KIS installed, so say I remove an antenna and bring it back with me? Does that count or does it need to be a command pod?

1 hour ago, archnem said:

Follow up question - A piece?  Can it be any piece? I have KIS installed, so say I remove an antenna and bring it back with me? Does that count or does it need to be a command pod?

1 hour ago, bewing said:

I'm 99.9% certain that any piece works.

I am less certain. KIS may destroy the part to put it into your inventory, and then create a whole new part (that was never on Eeloo) when you reattach it. I strongly suggest testing this before committing to it in a mission all the way out to Eeloo :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.