Requesting Help For Game Development

ZooNamedGames

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Why don't you just take my idea and profit from it

If you are so concerned that someone will steal your idea, has it occurred to you that others may be concerned that you will waste their time?
Time is money, and every bit as valuable as ideas.

My problem with this, and other threads the same, is that you are acting like you are sitting on a gold mine, and expecting others to simply take your word for it.
I'm not overly inclined to believe you... Especially as this is not the first gold mine you have claimed to have found.
Real game development starts with raising capital, so as to hire coders. Not expecting people to work for free on blind faith.

If you want free help, have something to show. Do some of it yourself, then say "Here's what I have, you can see it's a good idea, help me make it better".

You clearly do no appreciate and have no understanding of the work and effort required to develop a piece of software as complex as even a simplest of games. The game design, story, decision on artistic style etc, while important are just the tip of the iceberg. Actual coding is what takes the bulk of dev time and money.

When you asked for help with game production, you're not asking for help, you're asking "Can somebody spent hundreds of hours of their time so I can sell this thing and get rich off your work. I can't really pay you anything, but once the game becomes a huge hit and sells like hot cakes, I'll make it worth to y'all. In the meantime, I hope you have enough of money stashed around that you can survive for a few years working without pay."

Yes, it's possible to make a game on next to zero budget, but only if you yourself pick up a book and start learning a programming language.

yep don't forget to add uv and ir within the image also remind back in 1600 a few music thing were forbiden etc ... then we can eventually start to talk about painting standart and dali picasso vs monet and etc ... that's gonna be fun for sure ...

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

28 minutes ago, steve_v said:

If you are so concerned that someone will steal your idea, has it occurred to you that others may be concerned that you will waste their time?
Time is money, and every bit as valuable as ideas.

My problem with this, and other threads the same, is that you are acting like you are sitting on a gold mine, and expecting others to simply take your word for it.
I'm not overly inclined to believe you... Especially as this is not the first gold mine you have claimed to have found.
Real game development starts with raising capital, so as to hire coders. Not expecting people to work for free on blind faith.

If you want free help, have something to show. Do some of it yourself, then say "Here's what I have, you can see it's a good idea, help me make it better".

No one wants to make it better. Everyone wants to profit from it. Doesn't matter what I do. 

How am I supposed to be worth anything if I can't do anything? No experience because I'm basically dead on arrival?

26 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

You clearly do no appreciate and have no understanding of the work and effort required to develop a piece of software as complex as even a simplest of games. The game design, story, decision on artistic style etc, while important are just the tip of the iceberg. Actual coding is what takes the bulk of dev time and money.

When you asked for help with game production, you're not asking for help, you're asking "Can somebody spent hundreds of hours of their time so I can sell this thing and get rich off your work. I can't really pay you anything, but once the game becomes a huge hit and sells like hot cakes, I'll make it worth to y'all. In the meantime, I hope you have enough of money stashed around that you can survive for a few years working without pay."

Yes, it's possible to make a game on next to zero budget, but only if you yourself pick up a book and start learning a programming language.

Then help me appreciate it. I am trying to learn. Your trying to demean me and that effort. 

I'd like to try but from I'm hearing from both of you- I might as well stop entirely and quit since I've got nothing. No idea, no worth, no experience, no appreciation, nothing. According to you two, I'm worthless.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

This isn't a post or a discussion anymore either. It's a roast.

1 minute ago, Shpaget said:

Do something yourself, show some progress.

How. 

How are you not getting this- if I had more or knew more I'd likely be developing the actual game content by now.

I don't know and I don't have any idea how.

All I've got is an idea and according to you that's nothing.

No one wants to make it better.

Because "it" has no substance to work on. The "idea" is something like 1% of the work to make a viable game.
If you want to make a game on zero budget, as Shpaget said, you will have to learn to code it yourself. This is not a trivial task, which is why it's extremely unlikely anyone will do it for you for free.

2 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Everyone wants to profit from it.

Everyone needs to eat, good games take years to develop. Years working for free = starvation.

9 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

How am I supposed to be worth anything if I can't do anything?

The same way as everyone else, learn. If you want to make a game, you will need to learn the skills required. There are no shortcuts.

4 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Because "it" has no substance to work on. The "idea" is something like 1% of the work to make a viable game.
If you want to make a game on zero budget, as Shpaget said, you will have to learn to code it yourself. This is not a trivial task, which is why it's extremely unlikely anyone will do it for you for free.

Everyone needs to eat, good games take years to develop. Years working for free = starvation.

The same way as everyone else, learn. If you want to make a game, you will need to learn the skills required. There are no shortcuts.

I am learning and from what I'm seeing- it isn't worth it. 

There is nothing I can do, or create that's worth anyone's time. 

7 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I am learning and from what I'm seeing- it isn't worth it.

If it's not worth it to you, why would it be to anyone else? First, do. Then you'll know if it was worth it.
Step one is learning a programming language.

7 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

There is nothing I can do, or create that's worth anyone's time.

So, what have you created? I'm not seeing much here....
I'd be willing to help out with a game, but I see no game. Just a vague "idea", and one you're apparently not willing to work on realising yourself.

Edited by steve_v

12 minutes ago, steve_v said:

If it's not worth it to you, why would it be to anyone else? First, do. Then you'll know if it was worth it.

So, what have you created? I'm not seeing much here....
I'd be willing to help out with a game, but I see no game. Just a vague "idea", and one you're apparently not willing to work on realising yourself.

Steve, I feel I'm not worth the effort- much less an idea that will get nothing but peed on and crapped on by anyone who's ever had an opinion. How am I supposed to value something as intangible as an idea?

I don't have anything because all I get as feedback is "your wrong". Which does wonders for someone who trying to learn. What I have learned is that game development requires experience and knowledge and no one provides either. 

Edited by ZooNamedGames

11 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Steve, I feel I'm not worth the effort- much less an idea that will get nothing but peed on and crapped on by anyone who's ever had an opinion. How am I supposed to value something as intangible as an idea?

Opinions are free, so are ideas. If you want it to be worth something, you have to make it into something tangible.

11 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

What I have learned is that game development requires experience and knowledge and no one provides either. 

Knowledge is readily available: There are zillions of books on computer programming, pick one and knuckle down. If you want recommendations on a good one, ask. Advice is also readily available.
Experience, on the other hand, is not something that is handed to you - you must earn it by doing. If at first you fail... there's some experience.

Edited by steve_v

3 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Opinions are free, so are ideas. If you want it to be worth something, you have to make it into something tangible.

Knowledge is readily available: There are zillions of books on computer programming, pick one and knuckle down. If you want recommendations on a good one, ask. Advice is also readily available.
Experience, on the other hand, is not something that is handed to you - you must earn it by doing. If at first you fail... there's some experience.

Yeah. As I've seen, ideas are worth moot and are useless.

Yeah. There arnt many books for those who struggle grasping any language. Much less one that's abstract. 

Also the experience gained from failing is also minimal. Seeing as everyone's failed.

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

Seeing as everyone's failed.

Indeed, I fail every day. What I don't do is complain about it.

Right now, this isn't a discussion, nor is it a 'roast'...
What it's rapidly turning into is a sob-story, because no matter the answers you put everything in the most negative light possible. Any sugestion is met with "can't".
You want discussion or consolation?
I regret getting involved in this misery already, and as such, I'm out. When you're ready to change "can't" to "try", and "do it for me" to "how do I",  let me know.

6 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Indeed, I fail every day. What I don't do is complain about it.

Right now, this isn't a discussion, nor is it a 'roast'...
What it's rapidly turning into is a sob-story, because no matter the answers you put everything in the most negative light possible. Any sugestion is met with "can't".
You want discussion or consolation?
I regret getting involved in this misery already, and as such, I'm out. When you're ready to change "can't" to "try", and "do it for me" to "how do I",  let me know.

I've used all your alternative phrasing and you still respond with criticsm. Not help, just criticsm. 

Why should I be positive when you've given me nothing positive out of a dozen posts here? 

Why should I be positive when you've given me nothing positive out of a dozen posts here?

Overview of this thread:
Help me make a game.
What have you got so far?
An Idea.
No code? No details?
No.
You'll need to write some code.
Can't.
So learn.
Too hard.

Much like the last one. :rolleyes:

Since you didn't deceided what game engine to use and in consideration of lack of skilled programers I can suggest you to try with Unreal engine 4.

Blueprint feature provided with game engine allow you to develop a game without writting any code at all. However, depending on your game requirements, you might going to need coder to write some small pieces of code that can be used later by other people in team that were not skilled in coding. There is also plenty of video tutorials for unreal engine 4 how to do stuff with it. Official an unofficial tutorials.

It also offer good amount of free templates and assets. For a start, there is also decent amount of free assets and royality free music/sounds that is allowed to be used in comercial projects. You always can create some of your own. You can use blender for import/export of assets.

Currently, I'm also in process of learnig U4 and beside that I also work on development of large mod for FPS game at same time. Mod should be finished soon, so I hope that it will allow me to spend more time working with U4. Therefore I can't prommise you that I will be able to help with project much, but your idea is something similar I want to try in near future for myself.

And don't be fooled that without need to write code that is easy to develop game. There is plenty stuff to learn about it regardless.

6 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

I can suggest you to try with Unreal engine 4

I'll second that, from what I've seen UE4 is pretty nice to work with. Though I haven't done much more than fiddle with it so far...

Edited by steve_v

4 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Overview of this thread:
Help me make a game.
What have you got so far?
An Idea.
No code? No details?
No.
You'll need to write some code.
Can't.
So learn.
Too hard.

Much like the last one. :rolleyes:

Then why do you bother sharing your "wisdom" if I'm so badly broken. You claim that I'm a pityfest yet all you do is cut down any thoughts or efforts I have. 

7 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

Since you didn't deceided what game engine to use and in consideration of lack of skilled programers I can suggest you to try with Unreal engine 4.

Blueprint feature provided with game engine allow you to develop a game without writting any code at all. However, depending on your game requirements, you might going to need coder to write some small pieces of code that can be used later by other people in team that were not skilled in coding. There is also plenty of video tutorials for unreal engine 4 how to do stuff with it. Official an unofficial tutorials.

It also offer good amount of free templates and assets. For a start, there is also decent amount of free assets and royality free music/sounds that is allowed to be used in comercial projects. You always can create some of your own. You can use blender for import/export of assets.

Currently, I'm also in process of learnig U4 and beside that I also work on development of large mod for FPS game at same time. Mod should be finished soon, so I hope that it will allow me to spend more time working with U4. Therefore I can't prommise you that I will be able to help with project much, but your idea is something similar I want to try in near future for myself.

And don't be fooled that without need to write code that is easy to develop game. There is plenty stuff to learn about it regardless.

This is the response I'm after. Steve assumes that just because I can't do one thing that I'm incapable of anything.

Last I checked, it takes teams to make a product, and there are other aspects I can take up. Doesn't mean I need to take what to me is the worst of the task load.

Thank you.

Then why do you bother sharing your "wisdom" if I'm so badly broken.

On "you" I have insufficient data to comment. But your attitude to this task clearly is broken if you expect to make a game without learning how to make a game...

Sharing your plan has been suggested, and you said "NDA".
Several engines have already been suggested, but you haven't asked for any information on any of them.
Places to get engine-specific advice have been suggested, and you simply ignored it.
Learning a programming language has been suggested, yet all you have to say on that is "too hard".

Pick a game engine, find out what scripting language it uses, learn that, then you can rough out a prototype. Show people that prototype and you might just get some on board. At the very least show them a detailed plan, without this NDA BS.
If you're not willing to share your plans, and you're not willing to make a start yourself, why even ask in the first place?

It really doesn't sound like you are serious about this.

6 minutes ago, steve_v said:

On "you" I have insufficient data to comment. But your attitude to this task clearly is broken if you expect to make a game without learning how to make a game...

Sharing your plan has been suggested, and you said "NDA".
Several engines have already been suggested, but you haven't asked for any information on any of them.
Places to get engine-specific advice have been suggested, and you simply ignored it.
Learning a programming language has been suggested, yet all you have to say on that is "too hard".

Pick a game engine, find out what scripting language it uses, learn that, then you can rough out a prototype. Show people that prototype and you might just get some on board. At the very least show them a detailed plan, without this NDA BS.
If you're not willing to share your plans, and you're not willing to make a start yourself, why even ask in the first place?

It really doesn't sound like you are serious about this.

I was willing to learn. Before you came in and basically taught me that game development is essentially hell where all other game developers want your soul and dignity. I was also willing to write documents and more but obviously the inferno of hell I'm entering accepts nothing less than a fully built video game as the prototype. 

I am listening. Hence why I eventually shared my idea. To what effect? You still whining about something I already fixed. 

Complain I don't change so when I do, you promptly ignore it.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

Ok, some constructive guidance, based on my personal experience, just so you can appreciate what it takes to learn to program.

I started playing on computers when I was 6. It was on 286s and similar stuff. No programming yet, just messing around.

At age 11 I started with Logo and BASIC. I enrolled in a school sponsored class as an extracurricular activity and spent the next 4 years doing mostly simple robotics.

At 15, in high school, we didn't have a strong computer class, so I was left to my own devices, so I picked up Arduino. It was a rather new thing back then. That meant I had to learn C++. I spent countless hours going through tutorials and examples, botching and splicing together pieces of code I found in various places and making it do what I wanted it to do.

I also played around in various stuff. Did some web stuff like forums, blogs, website (Wordpress, Drupal etc) stuff, CSS stuff for web based games etc. I was all over the place.

In college, again I had the opportunity to enroll in a serious computer class, where we did mostly C#. Let me tell you, in one week of those classes I've learned more than in a year of my own blundering.

Now, I again meddle with Arduino, C++ and embedded electronics, this time mostly for work.

And you know what? After almost 25 years of learning various programming languages, techniques and platforms, I still do not consider myself a programmer and do not feel competent enough to embark on such a game making mission, because I know what it takes. 

My advice to you is to go here and start and just follow the instructions there.

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

you came in and basically taught me that game development is essentially hell where all other game developers want your soul and dignity.

No, I am trying to tell you that game development is hard work, requiring a significant investment in time and/or money. Apparently you don't want to hear this.

I am listening.

As you have missed the basic message "Hire some coders, or lean to code yourself" has clearly been missed, I find that hard to believe.

7 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

Ok, some constructive guidance, based on my personal experience, just so you can appreciate what it takes to learn to program.

I started playing on computers when I was 6. It was on 286s and similar stuff. No programming yet, just messing around.

At age 11 I started with Logo and BASIC. I enrolled in a school sponsored class as an extracurricular activity and spent the next 4 years doing mostly simple robotics.

At 15, in high school, we didn't have a strong computer class, so I was left to my own devices, so I picked up Arduino. It was a rather new thing back then. That meant I had to learn C++. I spent countless hours going through tutorials and examples, botching and splicing together pieces of code I found in various places and making it do what I wanted it to do.

I also played around in various stuff. Did some web stuff like forums, blogs, website (Wordpress, Drupal etc) stuff, CSS stuff for web based games etc. I was all over the place.

In college, again I had the opportunity to enroll in a serious computer class, where we did mostly C#. Let me tell you, in one week of those classes I've learned more than in a year of my own blundering.

Now, I again meddle with Arduino, C++ and embedded electronics, this time mostly for work.

And you know what? After almost 25 years of learning various programming languages, techniques and platforms, I still do not consider myself a programmer and do not feel competent enough to embark on such a game making mission, because I know what it takes. 

My advice to you is to go here and start and just follow the instructions there.

Why does video games come down to code? What happened to 3D modeling? Sound design? World creation? 

There are countless other roles in game design. In fact, I've got a coder. I need the rest of a team.

8 minutes ago, steve_v said:

No, I am trying to tell you that game development is hard work, requiring a significant investment in time and/or money. Apparently you don't want to hear this.

As you have missed the basic message "Hire some coders, or lean to code yourself" has clearly been missed, I find that hard to believe.

I've got a coder. So I'm not concerned and would like to focus on other aspects of game design.