The Camelback Bridge

The Camelback Bridge

There are so many things I've been wanting to get done in KSP and a Camelback Bridge is one of them. These type bridges are so fascinating, the engineering involved is so amazing it often baffles me. I have always admired the structural strength and designs of bridges and the feature that seems to impress me most is their impressive look. For those interested I found a book titled "How To Read Bridges" A crash course in engineering and architecture at the local book store, if you like bridges you will like this book, keep in mind it's a small paperback book but full of good information.

This project I have to say has been the most trying of all, let me just say I've gone many rounds with the Kraken on this one. I started this Bridge with only a small section and it was planned to be just a show piece and had no intentions of it growing so big. Then the idea came to me about putting it over water. I built a Bridge Construction Set before and thought maybe I could bridge a gap somewhere on Kerbin. One thing lead to another and I found myself needing other craft to make this happen (in this case did not happen). I was hoping this would have been a more majestic looking bridge over water crossing to a small island but the Kraken would not allow that! I do plan to give it another try in the future and with a much stronger structure. I wanted to give everyone a view of this 423.3 meter bridge that took literally months to build and over 200 hours of building testing even with the Kraken destroying and even once ate my entire bridge leaving zero crumbs on the water, but I did manage to take a ride to it's unconnected end for your viewing. Lets just say Bridges are not recommended in a KSP yet...if ever....not sure what Squad will have for the future of this spectacular game. Bridges are lots of fun but not withstanding the physics of the game as of now.

Special Note: It is not recommended to build Bridges in KSP, I do this because I enjoy building stuff in KSP if it works or don't work it's all fun for me. The Mobile Bridge is not going to work when setting it over the Pool, the Bridge was modified for the Video. Also Bridges that are constructed will require a low profile vehicle, the Convertible Jeep only works with the Mobile Bridge Unit. If you use it on a constructed Bridge do not use a Kerbal, cross the Bridge by Remote Control as seen in the Video. Connecting more than a totally of 7 sections including the Entrance and Exit is not recommended. After all testing the Bridge works best if constructed on land.

Other links of information during the Project

Spoiler

Convertible Jeep

Parts: 81
Mass: 3.572t
Height: 2.1m
Width: 2.6m
Length: 5.7m

Craft File: Convertible Jeep

Bridge Center Section

Parts: 283
Mass: 59.673t
Height: 8.3m
Width: 9.4m
Length: 31.9m

Craft File: Bridge Center Section

Bridge Exit

Parts: 329
Mass: 69.631t
Height: 8.5m
Length: 47.7m

Craft File: Bridge Exit

Bridge Entrance

Parts: 333
Mass: 69.733t
Height: 8.4m
Length: 46.1m

Craft File: Bridge Entrance

Mobile Bridge

Parts: 377
Mass: 95.059t
Height: 12.9m
Width: 11.1m
Length: 61.2m

Craft File: Mobile Bridge

Edited by Castille7

On 4/18/2017 at 1:24 AM, Majorjim! said:

Dang mate, that is very impressive! I love the idea of this kind of KSP engineering.

How's the framerate?

Thank you MJ, I am not sure of the details of my framerate but it's not as bad as it use to be before this version. 1.2.2 has been impressive with framerate.

Edited by Castille7

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.