Kerbal Peaks Challenge

Hello Kerbanauts! 

I have a challagne for all of you!

The highest current world absolute general aviation altitude record, propelled aircraft is 37,650 metres (123,520 ft) set by Alexandr Fedotov, in a Mikoyan Gurevitch E-266M (MiG-25M), on 31 August 1977.

One of the leading test pilots of his era, Aleksandr Fedotov was a Major General in the Russian Airforce, he graduated from Flight School Stalingrad in 1950. He was a pilot in the air-force from 1950 to 1957,graduating from the Aravmir School for Military Pilots in 1952 and worked then as an instructor pilot.

In 1958 he graduated from testpilot school and worked for the OKB Mikoyan. In 1965 he worked for the Moscow Aviation Institute (MAI). Between 1961 and 1977 he achieved 18 world records, including three absolute records on E-166 and MiG-25-jets. He held since August 31, 1977 the world altitude record for planes that take off under their own power (123,524 feet).

Between 1976 and 1978 he was involved in the EPOS "Spiral"-Program. In 1977 he performed the maiden flight of the MiG-29. He died in a crash of a MiG-31 (together with V. S. Zaytsev) in 1984.

He became a Hero of the Soviet Union in 1966 and in 1969 a Meritorious test pilot of the Soviet Union. 

So what's this got to do with the challenge?

Well, all you have to do is build and fly a Plane to the highest peak the fastest, there is also a land category except I would only expect you to climb the mountains by the KSC

Rules : 

Well the rules are as follows ;

• No engine mods, Stock propulsion only. 
  • Wing mods are fine, wings don't add speed, just control.
  • The plane or Land thing must be MANNED, if not expect to be added to the "skrub list"
  • I want some form of proof as I will be making a badge, video is better but screenshots will do I want the plane's take off and a few mid flight ones too and finally the flight report with the landed plane.

Yes you heard right you gotta land too! 

Here is the formula to work out score :Max altitude / Parts * 100 = A score so for instance, 400 / 90 * 100 = 444

Badges are won so to be given a shot you gotta be one of the leaders (in top 5) of a weight classes below, (I will make a leader-board as the entries come in :D)

Feather = Under 5T

Light = Under 10T

Medium = 11-15T

Heavy = 16 - 30T

Behemoth = Over 31T 

Safe Flying, Kenji :cool:

Info found here on Aleksander - http://thetartanterror.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/aleksandr-vasilyevich-fedotov-1932-1984.html

Edited by KenjiKrafts

28 minutes ago, KenjiKrafts said:

Here is the formula to work out score :Top speed / Parts * 100 = A score so for instance, 400 / 90 * 100 = 444

Surely that should be : Highest Altitude / Parts * 100 = A score so for instance, 400 / 90 * 100 = 444   Otherwise what are you referring to as peaks?  I'd imagine that most things will reach their extreme maximum altitude at the most a couple of m/s otherwise they'd be going higher. 

4 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Surely that should be : Highest Altitude / Parts * 100 = A score so for instance, 400 / 90 * 100 = 444   Otherwise what are you referring to as peaks?  I'd imagine that most things will reach their extreme maximum altitude at the most a couple of m/s otherwise they'd be going higher. 

Ahh thank you @SpannerMonkey(smce) for pointing that out! 

Amended :D

This is old video and I don't have the craft but it should have 40 parts and fall into behemoth category (recreation had over 40t) highest speed of 1232 and highest alt of 119,629. In ~3 minutes 30 sec (8 min 39 sec with landing). This was done using only air breating engines
Score using speed : 3080
Score using alt: 299072
Shouldn't you take time into scoring? You are saying this in OP:

Well, all you have to do is build and fly a Plane to the highest peak the fastest

I hope I got this challenge right and that we're not supposed to do something else, I'm really unsure if this isn't about getting to highest mountain peak but hell I had this already done :D

Edited by Numerlor

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.