MY Parachute won't slow me down!

18 minutes ago, FSXPRO5 said:

When I start descending i open my parachute, but instead of losing speed, I gain speed. Plz help me.

Hi there, welcome to the forums. 

I'm afraid that we can't really help without some more information. A screenshot of what happens when you deploy your parachute will be very helpful. 

Also, what are you doing when you are having problems? Reentry from orbit? What are your AP and PE set at when you deploy? What parachute are you using? How many? What is the mass of your ship? 

Another thing to consider is if you are using any mods, that's most likely to be the cause. Try reproducing the problem in a stock game. 

Parachute not working sounds like a bad install of FAR (clean re install should fix it)
...parachute accelerating? Sounds like negative drag, which can be set in the hazard-ish menu, press alt+F12, then under physics it should be(?). If that is it, then just delete the "physics.cfg" file in the GameData folder and it should fix the problem when you reload the game

6 minutes ago, Blaarkies said:

Parachute not working sounds like a bad install of FAR (clean re install should fix it)
...parachute accelerating? Sounds like negative drag, which can be set in the hazard-ish menu, press alt+F12, then under physics it should be(?). If that is it, then just delete the "physics.cfg" file in the GameData folder and it should fix the problem when you reload the game

I deleted the FAR mod. I will try the alt+f12 and see if it works, one second.

32 minutes ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

Hi there, welcome to the forums. 

I'm afraid that we can't really help without some more information. A screenshot of what happens when you deploy your parachute will be very helpful. 

Also, what are you doing when you are having problems? Reentry from orbit? What are your AP and PE set at when you deploy? What parachute are you using? How many? What is the mass of your ship? 

Another thing to consider is if you are using any mods, that's most likely to be the cause. Try reproducing the problem in a stock game. 

I am in career mode so all i have is the command pod and a flea rocket booster with a mk16 parachute on top. I get to a max altitude of 2100m.

1 hour ago, FSXPRO5 said:

I deleted the FAR mod. I will try the alt+f12 and see if it works, one second.

I am in career mode so all i have is the command pod and a flea rocket booster with a mk16 parachute on top. I get to a max altitude of 2100m.

Trying tilting during launch. That should allow you to encounter more air before impacting the ground. 

Also make sure you stage the chute when it's gray, if it's red then it's unsafe and your chute will break. If it's yellow, it's risky and it may break. If it's green then safe and gray means the same so wait until then to deploy.

Also make sure you stage the chute when it's gray, if it's red then it's unsafe and your chute will break. If it's yellow, it's risky and it may break. If it's green then safe and gray means the same so wait until then to deploy.

the chute opens fine, it just acts as if it is catching no air within it.

thank you. I re-installed the entire game and transferred my files, now it works.:)

Edited by FSXPRO5

5 minutes ago, FSXPRO5 said:

the chute opens fine, it just acts as if it is catching no air within it.

thank you. I re-installed the entire game and transferred my files, now it works.:)

and you even said "but instead of losing speed, I gain speed. Plz help me."
...i am truly sorry you had to read through the "How to open chutes 101" posts, because they didn't even read your original post 
:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

and you even said "but instead of losing speed, I gain speed. Plz help me."
...i am truly sorry you had to read through the "How to open chutes 101" posts, because they didn't even read your original post 
:rolleyes:

You could gain speed because of gravity, "open a parachute" could mean just staged it, so it's really not distinguishable at this point without a picture.

That's why a picture is important - people don't need to guess what happened.

2 minutes ago, Sirius628 said:

They get re-created each time, right?

And even if they do it's still potentially game breaking. The physics cfg more so as it isn't a database that's autofilled.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

9 hours ago, FancyMouse said:

You could gain speed because of gravity, "open a parachute" could mean just staged it, so it's really not distinguishable at this point without a picture.

That's why a picture is important - people don't need to guess what happened.

Yes of course that is true...but i think @FSXPRO5 knows the difference between "normal" gravity acceleration, and a phantom negative drag acceleration. Not saying anyone is wrong, but imagine you asked:
  "My game has a bug, i can't get higher than 5km",
  and then someone replied with "have you added moar boosters yet?"

Not fun to read that :sticktongue:

6 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

And even if they do it's still potentially game breaking. The physics cfg more so as it isn't a database that's autofilled.

Deleting "physics.cfg" is not even remotely game breaking. Do a clean install of KSP, and before you run the game for the first time go look at the game folders...there is no physics.cfg file, it gets generated the very first time the game is run.
* i cannot vouch for "PartDatabase.cfg" doing the same thing. If in doubt, make a backup before possible game-breaking changes

9 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

In this particular case,the drag cubes of parachutes got corrupted by "mod",by deleting "PartDatabase.cfg" they get recreated.
Deleting those two cfg's is the same as reinstalling the game.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.