The Cryptography Thread!

KAL 9000

Welcome, all! 

This is a thread about codes and ciphers. Talk about cryptography, post encrypted messages, crack someone else's post, as long as it's related to cryptography, you're good! 

For my first challenge: Can anyone crack the Location status on my profile?

your "a chekish born asian hiddling in scotland"? if not it could make a good song title kinda like this one:

Spoiler

^^

this or eventually "i m an i rich man in lock n.iss" ... well sorry ^^ it just come like that ^^

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

Thanks for posting this.

I'll repost here the one written originally in "Saga of Emiko Station"

RGTGNNRT NNNGGRGNGT LGRRLLNN NGGRTNGN RRTTRG LNGTGTGNGRNNRT?

i would personnaly write it like that

"cgtgaact aaagcgagt _gcc__aa aggctaga _agtgtgagcaact" but it might fall under N.a. i guess ... so salty

it really "feel" like some dna arn sequencing anyway ^^ with a fith dimension and element let's say ^^

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
after all dna arn number of element is a local earth referential and do not necessarely apply on an other celestial body in the 100% exact same way

33 minutes ago, qzgy said:

RGTGNNRT NNNGGRGNGT LGRRLLNN NGGRTNGN RRTTRG LNGTGTGNGRNNRT?

So to recap the info we already have on this one: 

Spoiler

It's a ADFGX cipher, no keyword and normal alphabet, but it is unknown what letters in the message should be put in which row and column. RGTNL & GLNRT have already been tried. There are 5! or 120 possibilities for filling in the letters, all of which would need to be run through to be decoded.

Just now, superstrijder15 said:

So to recap the info we already have on this one: 

Hide contents

It's a ADFGX cipher, no keyword and normal alphabet, but it is unknown what letters in the message should be put in which row and column. RGTNL & GLNRT have already been tried. There are 5! or 120 possibilities for filling in the letters, all of which would need to be run through to be decoded.

Also this, courtesy of @KAL 9000 (again, its another spoiler)

Spoiler

Hey, good idea! 

That gives us: 

NN: 14.81% 
GT: 11.11% 
GR: 11.11% 
GN: 11.11% 
NG: 7.41% 
RR: 7.41% 
RG: 7.41% 
RT: 7.41% 
TT: 3.7% 
LN: 3.7% 
TN: 3.7% 
LG: 3.7% 
TG: 3.7% 
LL: 3.7% 

Unfortunately, that's not enough data to allow a complete decryption via frequency analysis alone, but offers a tantalizing glimpse: NN, the most common pair in the cipher, has a good probability of coding for the most common letter in the English language, E! Their statistics even match, give or take a few percent.  

The message is now RG TG E RT E NG GR GN GT LG RR LL E NG GR TN GN RR TT RG LN GT GT GN GR E RT. 

2 minutes ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

that's assuming each letter or word use the same algorythm ? nothing prove that

Word of the coder

Spoiler

EDIT: E is coded by 1,5, meaning that N would be in the top row and the final column. Either NN=E is incorrect, or the message has the columns or rows reversed compared to another, in which case before running through a solver you'd need to account for that as well.

Edited by superstrijder15

so it's a phoenetic disturbance in the ears here ? fun ^^ isn't it ^^

anyway the referential seem to use 5 dimension not 3 ^^ as far as i remind gps use 4 but don't tell newton about that a while ago he would prolly called you an heretic and said the universe is 3d and not a single more ^^

PS: the % thing is fun ^^ it bring some new tone in the R , it's fun you research something pronouncable very locally at first coming from that far ^^

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

I found a polybius square decoder, going to run the different possible combos ending in N through it, with the rows starting with N instead

http://www.dcode.fr/polybius-cipher

EDIT: WIth columns ending in N and rows being the keys of columns reversed, none of the possibilities works out

also don't forget the % thing directly refer to "throat and vocal chord subsytem and sound based communication" ^^ voyell and conson contrast system to form complex sound but well again this is a few earth being very local stuff (wich include some " biped ", while i d like to remind for exemple ants seem to prefer pheromon insteed of sound to communicate)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

3 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

Oh, NN=E was wrong? 

Krakendarnit! 

Yeah, now someone needs to run all 120 possibilities through the polybius square

Edit: I'm busy fighting my first enemies in Aurora 4X, for the third time, sorry

That's gonna take a while. 

I'm looking at each "word" individually: 

The overall message is RGTGNNRT NNNGGRGNGT LGRRLLNN NGGRTNGN RRTTRG LNGTGTGNGRNNRT 

Here are the letter pairs that each "word" breaks down into:

RGTGNNRT: RG TG NN RT
NNNGGRGNGT: NN NG GR GN GT
LGRRLLNN: LG RR LL NN
NGGRTNGN: NG GR TN GN
RRTTRG: RR TT RG
LNGTGTGNGRNNRT: LN GT GT GN GR NN RT

Edited by KAL 9000

3 minutes ago, superstrijder15 said:

Weird, then either the polybius square has a different internal layour than normal, or the column and row organisation is completly unrelated, or I did something terribly wrong

Yes, no, maybe?

Also....

Spoiler

I may have written it column/row....

The grid we know so far is [below], right?

--- ? N ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ?

N

? E ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ?

Edited by KAL 9000

1 minute ago, KAL 9000 said:

The grid we know so far is [below], right?

--- ? ? ? ? N
N A B C D E

?

F G H I J
? K L M N O
? P Q R S T
? U V W X Y

No. Sorry.

N is the second column and second row.

Just now, KAL 9000 said:

That doesn't even make sense.

Sorry, let me clarify.

--- ? N ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ?

N

? E ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ?

I could give you the grid without the corresponding letters...

3 minutes ago, superstrijder15 said:

But how? How would E end up there?!

i made one up.

Spoiler

You sure you wanna see the grid of letters?

Spoiler
--- ? ? ? ? ?
? A U B I J

?

T E C K L
? F W V X y
? D M H Q P
? S G R O H