[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

I've loved using this mod for a long time, but recently hit a kind of serious problem. Using Real Fuels, engine thrust varies with Isp, and the Engineer doesn't know how to calculate the TWR at sea level. I can build a rocket that the Engineer thinks has a TWR greater than 1, but the rocket won't lift off.

I know changes made by another mod aren't this mod's problem... but is there a chance of Real Fuels compatibility?

I presume it is around the other side of the capsule (that's where I usually put it on Mk1 pods). The window should only be showing if the part is present (unless you've done the "add BuildEngineer module to all command pods" tweak).

Does the window update when you add and remove parts? If not then the calculation code has stalled and it will probably not update again until you quit and restart KSP. If it does update then it is failing to detect the engine as being active. Are you sure it has fuel (2565kg looks a little light)? Has the engine been tweaked accidentally to zero thrust (or disabled)? Do you have any other mods installed?

You should probably try the test version of the new simulation code I have been working on as it should fix all stalling issues and improve the calculations in a number of other ways. You can find it here.

Note: To use the test version you will need to update KER to version 0.6.2.3 first before following the instructions in that thread. See the links in the first post of this thread to get 0.6.2.3

You don't seem to have installed any of the engineering parts, look at science for a engineering part and put it in the ship.

I have the script that adds the functionality to all command pods without needing to attach the actual part. Seeing as I always put the part on the command pod anyway, it makes sense and is one less thing to remember to attach. Besides, I don't think the window would even come up if there wasn't a KER functionality on the ship.

Does the window update when you add and remove parts? If not then the calculation code has stalled and it will probably not update again until you quit and restart KSP. If it does update then it is failing to detect the engine as being active. Are you sure it has fuel (2565kg looks a little light)? Has the engine been tweaked accidentally to zero thrust (or disabled)? Do you have any other mods installed?

It didn't update until I restarted so I'm guessing the calculation code stalled. But it did have plenty of fuel (those 4 parts alone gives around 1.8 km/s of dV) and the engine had just been put on. Thanks for the help anyway, much appreciated! :) Oh and I'll certainly test out the new sim code for you! I'd be glad to help. I had already installed 6.2.3 but hadn't restarted KSP (after I took the screenie, I restarted and it updated to 6.2.3 so maybe that helped, I dunno)

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP
replied to Padishar

You don't seem to have installed any of the engineering parts, look at science for a engineering part and put it in the ship.

The window wouldn't show up if that was the case. I presume he's got the modulemanager config that adds the module to the part.

I'd like to confirm that KER does not work correctly with Hotrockets installed. Specifically the 2 stock solid boosters do not report any deltaV information etc. I tried this from a fresh install with only those 2 mods. KER only stopped calculating the SRBs once Hotrockets was installed.

I suspect it has something to do with the ModuleEnginesFX specifically for the SRB because the other engines calculate just fine. Nazari1382 said that the SRBs are handled the same way as the other engines so he's not sure why KER doesn't work for them.

I'd like to confirm that KER does not work correctly with Hotrockets installed. Specifically the 2 stock solid boosters do not report any deltaV information etc. I tried this from a fresh install with only those 2 mods. KER only stopped calculating the SRBs once Hotrockets was installed.

I suspect it has something to do with the ModuleEnginesFX specifically for the SRB because the other engines calculate just fine. Nazari1382 said that the SRBs are handled the same way as the other engines so he's not sure why KER doesn't work for them.

Is this with the current release version of KER 0.6.2.3? Would you be able to try the test version (see this thread) and see if it has the same problem (or a different one)?

Is this with the current release version of KER 0.6.2.3? Would you be able to try the test version (see this thread) and see if it has the same problem (or a different one)?

Wooo!! The test version of KER worked like a charm! That's super exciting. I'll let you know if I run into anything else goofy.

Wooo!! The test version of KER worked like a charm! That's super exciting. I'll let you know if I run into anything else goofy.

I presume the thrust values it shows for the solid boosters is correct. I've not actually tried HotRockets but it sounds like it adds a dummy ModuleEnginesFX (that just defines the exhaust and has zero thrust) to existing engine parts. The current release of KER doesn't support engines with multiple engine modules correctly (except for multi-mode engines) and this means that if the engine originally used a ModuleEnginesFX then KER would find the original one and work but for engines that use a ModuleEngine it would see the newer ModuleEnginesFX and look for one of those getting the dummy smoke generator.

The new test code supports any number of engine modules of either type (and correctly support modules that use different propellants).

It should be available on one of the early nodes of the timeline, if not the very first one. If you're adding the add-on with a preexisting Career Mode save already present, you may have to go back to the tech tree and unlock the parts manually, but that's about it.

It should be available on one of the early nodes of the timeline, if not the very first one. If you're adding the add-on with a preexisting Career Mode save already present, you may have to go back to the tech tree and unlock the parts manually, but that's about it.

Thanks for the reply.

I started a New campaign. I've researched a couple things already. I'll double check or research a little more and see if i can find it.

If i do i'll edit this post with what technology it's under.

Edit: Sorry, it was a user error I forgot to put the mod in the Game Data Folder. (Was putting several mods in and forgot it.)

Edited by TheFunnyOne1125

Hey guys, so I installed the mod and copied the whole engineering folder into the Game Data folder. I researched the parts in the tech tree. I attached the part to the rocket and nothing happen. No window pops up, nothing happens when I right click the part, I added the other chips as well, nothing. Am I missing something? I followed the video that Scott Manley posted about it, as well as reading the Readme file. I don't know what I am am missed I have looked high and low for the solution including this thread, but I have not found anything. Any ideas?

Well, given you've managed to research the parts and attach them to your rocket it sounds like it is installed correctly (or pretty close). Looking in the KSP_Data\output_log.txt file may give clues as to what is going on. This file can get very large so best to start KSP, start a new sandbox game, go to VAB, load (or build) a simple stock craft, add build and flight engineer, go to launch, return to space center, quit KSP. Then upload the output_log.txt file somewhere and post a link. Also, a description of your setup (computer, OS, other mods installed) and a screenshot of your GameData\Engineer folder (with full details) may help.

Ok so I think I figured out what went wrong. When I first started playing KSP, I played it directly from my Downloads folder. When I downloaded the mod I realized that I was playing KSP from the downloads folder, so I copied the whole folder and pasted it into my program files folder and continued playing from there but the engineer mod did not work. I was a little frustrated but I decided I didn't need the engineering mod currently and continued playing KSP from the copied version in the program files folder. I copied the folder 2/24/2014. When I looked at the KSP_Data\output_log.txt I thought that the file would show the last update as the current date. It wasn't, it was from Feburary 24 2014. meaning its not updating since I copied KSP to my Program files folder. So I tested a theory, I went back and copied the engineering folder to the original KSP in my downloads folder and opened it and researched the engineering parts and attached the parts to a rocket. DING DING DING!! It worked, window popped up with all the info.

When I changed my shortcut for the KSP Launcher, a window from my computer popped up asking if I wanted to allow KSP to change files on my computer. I clicked yes but because all of the files in my Program Files KSP did not update, it reverted back to where I was February 24. ;.;

The good news is that the engineer mod now works on my Program files KSP. :)

BTW my computer is a Toshiba Satellite P55-A5312

6 GB of RAM

intel inside core i5 1.6 GHz Processor

64 bit OS

Windows 8.1

Hmmm my engineer isn't working properly.

Have had a brief look through this thread and haven't seen it mentioned but does it work with RAPIER's?

Most of the issues I have noticed have been with RAPIER SSTO's that also have other engines for thrust when is space.

Take the picture below:

2m6Qy5t.jpg

That craft has 1 LV-N engine active currently set to zero throttle. Almost all the readings are wrong

Specific Impulse = 1200 (it should be 800 for that engine)

Thrust (max) = 760kN (nope should be 60)

Thrust (throttle) = 365kN (should be zero!!!)

On another similar craft the DeltaV only dropped about 3-400m/s when I executed a 900m/s burn.

Now the max thrust figure makes sense if I add up all the RAPIER's (closed cycle mode) and the LV-N (175 x 4 + 60 = 760)

Something is screwy, I don't think it knows the RAPIER's are off.

First noticed the issue when I had an older version of Engineer but have since updated and as 0.6.2.3 is shown in the image above I assume the update has taken ok.

Edited by Bishop149

There are some issues with rapiers in the current code and I suspect there are also issues with engines that have been shutdown. I have been working on various changes to the KER simulation code though I haven't done anything specifically for rapiers yet. You may like to try the test version posted in this thread. I'll have to have a play with a similar craft to find out exactly where and how it is going wrong...

Is it possible to get KER to work with Hot Rockets? (The mod that changes rocket exhaust effects)

For whatever reason installing Hot Rockets causes KER to fail to show any information directly related to my engines, TWR, dV etc. Though all the other data continues to be properly calculated and displayed.

I don't see how KER would affect graphics, but I can confirm that the test release works fine with Hot Rockets, as I use both myself.

KER doesn't affect the graphics, but for whatever reason installing Hot Rockets prevents KER from getting the correct info on the rockets. So it doesn't show dV or TWR etc.

I'll try the test version linked and see how it goes!

Edit: Tested it out with the test version and it's working perfectly. Thank you

Edited by federally

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.