The MachingBird Challenge!

Yes, I am reviving The MachingBird Challenge, as it was lost in the server revival. I will be dividing entries more diligently, this run around.

The Maching Bird Challenge: How fast can you go on jet power?

Top speed will be measured by Highest Speed Over Land in the Flight Log, to prevent artificial inflation that can be caused via sub-orbital hops.

Read the rules, people!

Rules:

1. Must be jet powered only! The craft may not use any oxidizer, monopropellant, or Xenon.

-a. R.A.P.I.E.R. engine is not a jet. It is an aspirated rocket.

2. Must take off horizontally from the runway (need not retain landing gear for the duration of the flight)

3. Screenshots! Must have screenshots of:

-a. Your craft on the runway (preferrably moving).

-b. Your craft in flight.

-c. Your craft's Flight Log (can be accessed by pressing F3) This is neccessary, as top speed will be measured by Highest Speed Over Land

--c1. For clarification, no, you are not allowed to jump out of your craft then take the flightlog screenshot.

-d. The resources tab must be open at all times, as proof of appropriate fuel usage. This rule will be strictly enforced to ensure capsule MonoProp is not used!

-e. Any staging events that happen, such as drop-tanks, launch stages, wheel drops, etcetera.

4. Use of the dev console, particularly for part clipping, is exploitative and will be considered cheating for the purposes of this challenge.

5. This is primarily a stock challenge, so only stock parts are allowed, along with no other mods being installed. This means that CFG modding will earn you a permanent ban from the challenge.

Exceptions are as such:

-a. Subassembly Loader, as it does not interfere with craft capability, only ease of construction. Rule defunct, as this is now default game functionality.

-b. Mechjeb, for Mechjeb category entries.

-c. Ferram Aerospace Research, but you must specify if you use it, as there will be a special accolade for users of that mod!

-d. Kerbal Engineer Redux, and Steam Gauges, as they only provides readouts, though use of this will disqualify from being stock.

Please Clarify whether your craft is manned, unmanned, and what/if any mods are used, for the simplicity of categorization.

Yes, I know I can look to see if there are pilots, but I'd like to keep myself from HAVING to do that.

There will be one category, with special commendations or notes being listed after the entry. This is to avoid the mess that will happen if I go on in the style of the old leaderboard.

The old leaderboards will stay the old leaderboards, and all new entries will be required. This does not mean that old entries may not be submitted, however.

Notice: .23 has changed the resource management, allowing multiple intakes to become much more useful. As such, .23 entries cannot be categorised in with prior versions, leading to me cleaning the leader board and moving all previous records into the second post.

Special Commendations and Notes

Mach-6 club: Meet or exceed mach 6, or 2056.2 m/s (round to 2056 m/s).

True Maching Bird: exceed 2300 m/s

MechJeb: Used MechJeb (obviously).

Stock: Denotes an entirely stock craft.

Stock Manned

Lesbiotic: 2377 m/s in the Orithyia[True Machingbird]

Pbhead: 2376 m/s in the Maximum 8irhog Mk.8[True Machingbird]

O-Doc: 2375 m/s in the White Diamond IV[True Machingbird]

TheHengeProphet: 2372 m/s in the RST-5[True Machingbird]

Claw: 2364 m/s in the Bottle Rocket[True Machingbird]

LaMulaVerde: 2359 m/s in the The One[True Machingbird]

barrenwaste: 2356 m/s in the Stargazer[True Machingbird]

Kasuha: 2341 m/s in the Mach Much[True Machingbird]

wathyroidis: 2334 m/s in the Dashpeet[True Machingbird]

Spartwo: 2329 m/s in the Arrow[True Machingbird]

Silverchain: 2311 m/s in the Aeris 3f "Wicked Felina"[True Machingbird]

Halo_003: 2311 m/s in the unnamed craft[True Machingbird]

1greywind" 2306 m/s in the Firestrom[True Machingbird]

RandomJeb: 2294 m/s in the Machingbird Challenger 4b[Mach-6 Club]

samygiy: 2275 m/s in the speed breaker[Mach-6 Club]

PlonioFludrasco: 2254 m/s in the Birdie 1[Mach-6 Club]

Stock Unmanned

Extemporary: 2223 m/s in the U-1[Mach-6 Club]

Modded Manned

Modded Unmanned

Qualified Ferram Aerospace Research Entries

Manned

Hodo: 2200m/s in the XF-143A[Mach-6 Club]

Pds314: 2191 m/s in the Nanojet[Mach-6 Club]

Unmanned

Stock Unmanned Exploitational

Edited by TheHengeProphet

Entries from .22 and prior!

Stock Manned

Pbhead: 2340 m/s in the Maximum Airhog MK 5 [True Machingbird]

m1xte: 2336 m/s in the exploitter [True Machingbird]

Tembaco: 2328 m/s in Nacho [True Machingbird]

Storm Technology: 2319 m/s in the ST-X8 [True Machingbird]

Kingtj44: 2314 m/s in the Celerrimus VII [True Machingbird]

Vaisman: 2310 m/s in the Rainbow Mk IV [True Machingbird]

Shrike42: 2306 m/s in the Interceptor Mk 3 [True Machingbird]

Climberfx: 2305 m/s in the Speedster [True Machingbird]

Warboy: 2303 m/s in an unnamed craft [True Machingbird]

Octagon: 2301 m/s in the Record Breaker [True Machingbird]

LeadMagnet: 2300 m/s in The X-Wing Pucker Machine [True Machingbird]

TheHengeProphet: 2292 m/s in the RST-7 [Mach-6 Club]

CARROTSAREAWESOME: 2271 m/s in The MassIntake 1 [Mach-6 Club]

Fengist: 2275 m/s in Scoopz [Mach-6 Club]

TheElt: 2263 m/s in the X-9000 [Mach-6 Club]

Spartwo: 2263 m/s in an unnamed craft [Mach-6 Club]

sal_vager: 2260 m/s in the Untitled Space Craft [Mach-6 Club]

Umlüx: 2251 m/s in the Firehawk MKII [Mach-6 Club]

g00bd0g: 2248 m/s in the Spunky 9 Aero [Mach-6 Club]

kookoo_gr: 2245 m/s in the X-2 [Mach-6 Club]

wildstars: 2243 m/s in the Highspeed Testbed2 [Mach-6 Club]

RocketTurtle: 2233 m/s in the Phoenix! [Mach-6 Club]

panzerknoef: 2233 m/s in the hamerhead [Mach-6 Club]

Scorpi15: 2230 m/s in the Eagle XII [Mach-6 Club]

zorque: 2226 m/s in The Bullet [Mach-6 Club]

searlefm: 2218 m/s in The Need For... [Mach-6 Club]

oosime: 2215 m/s in the Bob

SmallChange: 2209 m/s in the ??? [Mach-6 Club]

barrenwaste: 2207 m/s in the kf-28-Gosshawk-14 [Mach-6 Club]

KinkyFerrets: 2188 m/s in the Weight Stripper MKII [Mach-6 Club]

Stelith61: 2184 m/s in The ScraperJet [Mach-6 Club]

Ravenchant: 2183 m/s in the Unladen European Swallow [Mach-6 Club]

peadar1987: 2180 m/s in the Huginn V [Mach-6 Club]

1greywind: 2172 m/s in the Training Jet2 [Mach-6 Club]

Doull: 2164 m/s in the Mach 6 Ausmonaut [Mach-6 Club]

UpsilonAerospace: 2135 m/s in an unnamed craft [Mach-6 Club]

veio: 2104 m/s in the Ultra Micro Plane [Mach-6 Club]

minimuffin: 2094 m/s in the Scout [Mach-6 Club]

Flixxbeatz: 2076 m/s in the PX99 Aerial Dragster [Mach-6 Club]

SecondGuessing: 2061 m/s in the ??? [Mach-6 Club]

Mr. Speed: 2059 m/s in the Viper F1 [Mach-6 Club]

Stock Unmanned

Octagon: 2298 m/s in the Lightning [Mach-6 Club]

Xeldrak: 2049 m/s in Ze Fleddermouse [stock]

Modded Manned

m1xte: 2344 m/s in the exploitter 256 intake version [MechJeb][True Machingbird]

occar: 2323 m/s in the Zoomer [MechJeb][True Machingbird]

pinolallo: 2303 m/s in the Drakken [MechJeb][True Machingbird]

LeFudge:2288 m/s in the Kerbatti [MechJeb][Mach-6 Club]

clapanse:2288 m/s in the ??? [MechJeb][Mach-6 Club]

akshaypatil: 2286 m/s in the Arjun-MkI [MechJeb][Mach-6 Club]

shael6636: 2141 m/s in the MCB Mk-1 [MechJeb][Mach-6 Club]

Modded Unmanned

Tavert: 2339 m/s in ??? [MechJeb][True Machingbird]

Qualified Ferram Aerospace Research Entries

Manned

Hodo: 2171 m/s in the XF-142 [Mach-6 Club]

MR4Y: 2123 m/s in FAR's stock Hypersonic Demon [Mach-6 Club]

localSol: 1651 m/s in the ???

Unmanned

localSol: 1704 m/s in the ???

Stock Unmanned Exploitational

TTurchan1: 421,951 m/s in the AYKM mk1 [solar Orbit Speed][Approximately 12,872 m/s in atmosphere...]

Nao: 8209 m/s in the "Nabs" [Hrrrrrrng...]

Cranium: 5385 m/s in the Pequinino [Er... what...]

Skyhawk: 4118 m/s in the Hummingbird [uh... that's too fast]

AgentPaper: 2746 m/s in his flapping wing machine [Mach-8 Special]

RST-7

On the runway

http://i.imgur.com/sAziGUx.jpg

Going pretty quick!

http://i.imgur.com/PyuvBiz.png

Flight Log

http://i.imgur.com/PRhY5pQ.png

Highest speed over land: 2292

Not my best run, especially since I had a faster one in .18.x, but I figured it best to start fresh!

Remaining album, for those who want to see the whole flight: http://imgur.com/a/jArMA#0

Thanks for re-creating this, and I'm glad you made a category for MechJeb addicts like myself, especially now with numerobis' intake and throttle control integrated in MechJeb2.

As a good reference, mvyrmnd recovered the Google cache of the old leaderboard a few weeks ago: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/25271-Machingbird-Challenge-Reborn

Had no takers in that thread for whatever reason, hopefully this one will attract some new blood.

I'm working on an entry for the MechJeb category, I've already got it to 2336 m/s and I think with moar intakes and maybe some more fuel so the flight lasts longer I could potentially get faster. Will report back.

Edit: got it up to 2339 m/s, tying Nao's best from before the purge. And here I thought MechJeb would break the record easily, this was tough and now I'm even more impressed Nao was able to fly that by hand! http://imgur.com/a/iL0DN#0

My approach was burning prograde, doing as many periapsis kicks within the atmosphere as fuel allowed. Definitely the highest jet-only apoapsis I've seen.

Edited by tavert

Top speeds in FAR will be substantially lower than in stock, since FAR re-balanced the jet engines. I've been testing a couple of designs, but the best I've gotten so far was ~1660m/s (using a design with only one intake!). Didn't record it at the time, so it's not an official entry yet, but I'll play around with it and see if I can do better.

Main post has been updated to clarify what the challenge is about, and how things will be measured and/or presented. I'll start recording entries soon; keep them coming!

2089 m/s highest speed achieved

I forgot to note (which has been added to the OP) that speed will be measured by Highest Speed Over Land, to prevent the misleading results sub-orbital hops can net you. If you note, I stated my speed was 2292m/s, and not 2406m/s, which would have easily netted me the True MachingBird award for breaking Mach 7, where it was actually my orbital velocity it recorded.

This thread was truly epic. Competition for the top spot was insane. I look forward to seeing what happens in round 2!

(I don't know how to spaceplane very well, so I might be sitting this one out, though)

Epic!

It's kind of sad that I have no edge in this challenge anymore... but I'm happy people can use my code :) Don't forget to reduce that safety margin as low as you can!

PS: even better is if you can figure out how to improve the code itself, so everyone else can benefit!

Edited by numerobis

PS: even better is if you can figure out how to improve the code itself, so everyone else can benefit!

I'm thinking of having a look at how aggressive it is with ramping the throttle back up when you're descending, it seems to lag a bit.

How DO you manage to stack all those struts and intakes like that? I can't do it without enabling part clipping...

Usually by placing the strut piece somewhere else first that shows as green, then moving it to where I want it. Sometimes rapidly double-clicking when the game isn't sure if it should allow the clipped position.

Rules:

1. Must be jet powered only! The craft may not carry any oxidizer, monopropellant, or Xenon.

-a. Subassembly Loader is an exception, as it does not interfere with craft capability, only ease of construction.

-b. Mechjeb is an exception for the Mechjeb category entries.

-c. Ferram Aerospace Research is acceptable, but you must specify if you use it, as there will be an entire category for users of that mod!

The oxidizer being banned is a serious nerf to maximum speed, especially with probes, as the lightest fuel tank contains oxidizer :( , is this rule permanent or could we just make it so no oxidizer can be burned during the flight?

Also on the mods side, if i submit a flight with Kerbal Engineer and mech jeb (i'm used to having KER on almost everything and don't even have MJ 2.0 installed :P) would it count?

And one more question is clipping through debug console allowed ? It would save some partcount :)

The oxidizer being banned is a serious nerf to maximum speed, especially with probes, as the lightest fuel tank contains oxidizer :( , is this rule permanent or could we just make it so no oxidizer can be burned during the flight?

Also on the mods side, if i submit a flight with Kerbal Engineer and mech jeb (i'm used to having KER on almost everything and don't even have MJ 2.0 installed :P) would it count?

And one more question is clipping through debug console allowed ? It would save some partcount :)

Alright, I'll change it to allow oxidiser other propellants, so long as none are actually used. This can be verified now since I require the resources tab to be open anyways. Also I'll have to add a rule for a screenshot of every staging event, because I know someone's going to want drop tanks.

Kerbal Engineer Redux is fine. It's kinda like MJ light, though, as it only gives you the readouts. Does anybody mind if I just drop KER under MechJeb for simplicity, or would you rather I add a special note for KER?

Use of the dev console at all is cheating, so far as this challenge is concerned. I probably should have clarified that from the get-go...

Top speeds in FAR will be substantially lower than in stock, since FAR re-balanced the jet engines. I've been testing a couple of designs, but the best I've gotten so far was ~1660m/s (using a design with only one intake!). Didn't record it at the time, so it's not an official entry yet, but I'll play around with it and see if I can do better.

Top speed for a turbofan engine is 1800 m/s in FAR, apparently. Thanks for pointing that out! A bit disappointing.

Sorry localSol, I really enjoyed your slideshow, but without the flight log, I can't include it. Here is hoping you'll try again!

Using FAR mod, no mechjeb. Both manned and then unmanned submissions in this slideshow (available in 720p): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TMyYDtIBqE

Manned FAR Highest Speed Over Land: 1651 m/s

Unmanned FAR Highest Speed Over Land : 1704 m/s

Man, these craft seem so tough without deadly reentry installed! My first one became an awesome funny fireball. Is it getting warm in here, Jeb?

The second unmanned thing which is nearly a missile was extremely delicate, took me about 20-30 attempts, the best setting in FAR was actually a lower wing leveler setting than I expected, something like k : 0.5. Yaw dampener high at 4 (don't know if it was needed) and used dynamic control adjustment - still super sensitive, but I guess it would make sense because of its shape and mass.

Edited by localSol

[...] ..FAR re-balanced the jet engines. I've been testing a couple of designs, but the best I've gotten so far was ~1660m/s (using a design with only one intake!) [...]

Thanks for letting me know what area the speeds would be in. I didn't know this and have never really tried this kind of flight. I'm curious to see your planes too. FAR users unite! Kind of! Stock users also unite!

Alright, I'll change it to allow oxidiser other propellants, so long as none are actually used. This can be verified now since I require the resources tab to be open anyways. Also I'll have to add a rule for a screenshot of every staging event, because I know someone's going to want drop tanks.

Kerbal Engineer Redux is fine. It's kinda like MJ light, though, as it only gives you the readouts. Does anybody mind if I just drop KER under MechJeb for simplicity, or would you rather I add a special note for KER?

I can guess what Nao's next question might be. What about using the oxidizer before launching, with a throwaway rocket and extra liquid fuel tank? The dry weight of the round-8 is a quarter the dry weight of the small jet adapter, so your flight's going to be mighty short if you can do it all on only 20 or 30 units of liquid fuel...

I don't think you need to do either for KER. It just allows you to be a bit better informed in flight than stock, but I'm pretty sure all the info it tells you could be read off by quickly switching to the map screen and pausing, or derived from your resources.

Ok, here is the manned "Zoomer" which uses mechjeb to fly (because I was lazy). Actually, it got 1 m/s faster, but I forgot to re-take a picture. Doh. It took almost an hour real time, so I'll concede that 1 m/s and say 2323 m/s.

I used this same design in the previous challenge without mechjeb and took it to 2314 m/s, but I didn't have the patience for the crazy throttle control needed to fly this thing again. You can see from the screenshots, it gets in to orbit, and then skims the atmosphere. I think 2324 m/s is pretty much all I can get out of it.

UF89gad.jpg

jtWIN5h.jpg

Sorry, forgot to take taking off shot, so I relaunched to take a shot.

OySsF16.jpg

%7Boption%7D

Edited by occar

Jeb looks hopeful

Sb4sy61.jpg

A day later, and worryingly close to the runway.

JipJxmC.png

Success! We went so fast Jeb's eyes fell out of alignment...

PFVRwfy.png

So close to reaching Mach 6, it took me till the antipode of KSP before I remembered that if you throttle down when air is low you actually get more power. Oxidiser's only there because I needed a small part in order to mount the drag chutes without clipping.