The MachingBird Challenge!

Oh god...I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of the flight log.... I'm just terrible at this.

Well, time to redeploy amd make the flight again. (facepalm)

I'll make a few tweaks and see if I can get it any faster, and post a log later tonight.

Edit: Actually, no. I think I'm going to enter for the exploitational category. I think I have Skyhawk beat for that speed. Spoilers though. :wink:

Edited by Cranium

I have an Idea, but I dont want to bother with it if you think it is exploitational.

Would, say, creating a craft with a very very long arm, and then rotating the arm, and then decoupling a probe from the arm such that speed is measured from the decoupled probe... thus turning the rotational speed into horizontal speed, be allowed?

I have an Idea, but I dont want to bother with it if you think it is exploitational.

Would, say, creating a craft with a very very long arm, and then rotating the arm, and then decoupling a probe from the arm such that speed is measured from the decoupled probe... thus turning the rotational speed into horizontal speed, be allowed?

ROTFL hahaha We have a winner! Jet to orbit right there!

On topic of of exploits, recently i tried decoupling of the cockpit while descending from orbit-hop, it kind of worked as i managed to get from 2331 (maximum for the test craft) to 2335 m/s on a free-fall. I think with enough intakes (that allow for higher apopsis) It would be possible to go above Pbhead's record... at least until he creates his jet powered orbital trebuchet. :)

Two half-empty outboard tanks is sufficient. Once beyond the atmosphere, turn left, so the right wing is prograde. Pump the fuel to the right outboard tank. Turn 180 degrees so the left is now prograde. Pump the right tank into the left tank. Repeat.

When you turn, you pivot about the center of mass. Pumping changes your center of mass. However, pumping doesn't change your momentum to compensate (it should, that's a minor bug).

Scott Manley made a video about this some time back.

Holy crap, man, that's just ridiculous. I checked a calculator online, and it told me Mach 17. Now I have to go beat that.

Also, though, don't we have a rule where thing have to takeoff horizontally?

I seem to recall someone having an issue with that earlier. Still, that thing is absolutely terrifying.:0.0: Nice work.:cool:

Alright, exploitational attempt number two with Pequinino(I'm sure it means something in a language, but I dunno)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

5,385 m/s over land! That is even better than my last attempt!

Derp, no it isn't... but I would like to use the original if I can, considering it is the same craft once I detach the wheels.

EDIT: For those interested, you can take a look at the .craft here: http://pastebin.com/zFeqvUyP

Edited by Cranium
Added .craft

Dude, that thing is insane. Now I've got to go try to beat that. How did you control that? Was it accelerated by rotation or was it pitch/yaw? Either way, congratulations on managing to beat my speed. I'm extremely impressed. :)

Dude, that thing is insane. Now I've got to go try to beat that. How did you control that? Was it accelerated by rotation or was it pitch/yaw? Either way, congratulations on managing to beat my speed. I'm extremely impressed. :)
It was actually easy to control, once you got moving(and above the 500m mark). To take off, just hold the 'w' key, until you pick up some speed. You're going to be very nose heavy with the launch wheels, but when you have some speed, you can just eject them while still on the runway. After that, you balance out, and you can just lightly nose up.

Once you have your nose up, you want to just barely start tapping the 'w' and 'a' kes a little, just to get up above 500m. Once you do that, you can just go in about any direction, but I've found that rotation is not nearly as fast as going in any cardinal direction. So I'd say get up to about 1km-1.5km up, then just bank it as hard as you can. You're probably going to have the generator rip off, but that's kind of necessary to get the speeds that I was getting.

You can actually control it fairly well if you just wait until about 5km, and just keep rolling. As long as you can manage to keep your generator attached, you can get some crazy altitudes. Just be careful, because if you see your wings warping, and not flapping all in the same direction, you need to turn off ALL CONTROL. Otherwise, it will shake itself to pieces, and rip off most, if not all, of your wings.

If this is launched vertically, it will actually just hover there, bouncing around in the air. It's really fun to play with.

Nabs...

8209m/s, and if i can't have the whole thing disintegrate, i have 7877m/s with everything intact. (Third image at liftoff showing that the "plane" lifted off the runway on his own while moving horizontally)

Done using 12 small control surfaces

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Thanks Cranium for showing the [imgur] tag :P

Edited by Nao

Nabs...

8209m/s, and if i can't have the whole thing disintegrate, i have 7877m/s with everything intact. (Third image at liftoff showing that the "plane" lifted off the runway on his own while moving horizontally)

Done using 12 small control surfaces

-snip-

Thanks Cranium for showing the [imgur] tag :P

Just Nao being Nao. :D

. You're going to be very nose heavy with the launch wheels.

The only mass up front is the I bar you're not decoupling, and the decoupler. Out back you have two hard point decouplers which have mass, so you're actually more nose-heavy after decoupling than before.

If you can't take off, it's because the back wheels are too far back.

The only mass up front is the I bar you're not decoupling, and the decoupler. Out back you have two hard point decouplers which have mass, so you're actually more nose-heavy after decoupling than before.

If you can't take off, it's because the back wheels are too far back.

Umm, the I-beam definitely decouples with the front landing gear...

I am just wondering if my entry is to late? It's taken a while. However, I was able to achieve Mach 6.4 or 2164 m/s before having the engines flame out and putting me into a spin. Any bonus points lol for recovering from the spin and landing it :sticktongue: Aircraft name is the Ausmonaut...

Vid here. Skip to end, to see the score :)

Edited by Doull

Your entry isn't late! This challenge will never end, so long as I can manage keeping up with it. I admit, I'm a bit slow at times with all this, as life gets in the way, so sorry all for the delays. I'll see if I can't manage the time in the next couple days to update the boards.

Thanks TheHengerProphet.. Yep I know what you mean about life getting in the way :) Also I should have included in my entry. Manned, That no mods were used and it is all stock parts