You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

Dispersing communication relay sats for remote tech:

They were dispersed pretty well after several days in terms of coverage, unfortunately they had no power (all the solar panels broke off) and 48 sats cluttered my satellite lists way more than I wanted.

Hey everyone! I think this thread may have died, so I thought I'd bring it back. We can all get a pretty good laugh out of other people's failures as well as our own.

So, to kick the thread off, my failure of today. I put Barzor Kerman on EVA and accidentally hit the spacebar, and as he fell away from the command module, THIS happened:

deO04pO.png

Tr0RkyI.png

Yes, Barzor has decided that hanging by his feet off the top of a rocket gantry is a fabulous idea. How kerbal of him...

Anyway, let's get this thread back in action! Post your "oh s***," "whoops," "dang," and "kaboom" moments here! Have fun! Cheers!

V6st2Vg.jpg

Asparagus staging is great when it works, and sometimes also when it fails. Lots of pretty rocket trails to watch!

jfOPqMp.jpg

mAmEbu4.jpg

...And then there's those times you get to space, but something just has to go wrong.

My most recent fail? It's actually a double. So, yesterday i made new 2-man lander meant for Mun, Ike, Dres - all kind of bigger, airless bodies. Stable, a lot of dV, nice looking...I launched the prototype, made standard munar transit, circularised orbit around the Mun - all nominal. I was quite pleased with myself - at least until i engaged kethane scanner on night side...Charge in batteries dropped like a stone, and there was no recharging. What the...I forgot to place even one RTG, or even measly solar pannel on this huge, complicated craft :huh: As long as engines were running there was power to recharge batteries, but after that zip, nil, zero. Arrrgghh. Instead of scrubbing the mission, i decided to try and salvage it - and thus Courier was born. Small, light, probe controlled - only mission of this rocket was to deliver power module to stranded lander ( yeah, i know it was not really stranded - i could always return to Kerbin, or even land on the Mun). Power unit consisted of two docking ports on the opposite sides of a girder, 4 RTGs and couple of light solar panels. Plan was to dock to the top of the lander, suck all remaining fuel from Courier's tanks into the lander, then undock Courier leaving power module on the lander. Problem solved. Alas...Courier went on its merry way, i did all necessary maneuvers, docked to the lander and happily watched empty batteries recharging. Then i tried to undock the Courier from power module...Nothing happened. There wasn't even option to undock under right click. In the VAB i put two docking ports too close, and they fused together. Arrrgghhhh!!! I could only undock Courier/power unit from the lander - which would leave me in square one. Unacceptable - back to the VAB :mad:

After many variations of this:

255197EFC7911EF2F2B717DDF9626CC15F7D10CC

Made my first "landing" on Duna:

9A4BB33E903AFEBF716660ADC64EB733AA8D5765

Seelan Kerman had to push the rover out of the cargo bay after flipping it over. I wonder how Seelan is doing, we haven't heard from him in a while....

Update: Seelan's last transmission:

3E015C3FBB0A251761D61205EE83441C59B2E773

2FF692A2DE4C7233D3880AD95BC00247146E314D

So I did my routine with my new.20 save probe in orbit kerbal in orbit so on and so forth. Well I landed on the mun and left my craft there for a bit. I came back to leave and started to pack up all the stuff solar panels and what not.I go tho close the final ladder before taking off and I accidental click on the decoupler and with out thinking decouple the capsule and accent engines. I facepalm for about 5 minutes. Now I have a moon mun base though.

I did an awesome pin-point landing on Mun, with my lander + twin buggy setup.

Decoupled the incredibly durable buggies, they just fall from the metal girders and smack into the ground undamaged, even on Kerbal. Wheels remain intact, usually lands upside down. Not to worry, I have a probe core on each buggy so I can enable/disable RCS ports and flip the buggy around to whatever orientation I want.

O dear, seems in my last minute redesign on RCS port positions I didn't have symmetry selected...

I got 1 rover flipped right way up, Jeb hopped into his seat and enjoyed the ride, the other buggy, not so much. It was a spare anyway.

Then when I was about to board my lander to ascend I hit space which was to decouple fuel tanks and my metal girders, for some reason it fired up all the other stages too and the Lander ascended very rapidly. Poor Jeb watched from Mun's surface. Then, realizing he is now unsupervised donned his trademark grin and hopped into the buggy....

You will not be going to Kerbal today.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.