You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

So my first "succesfull" Munar landing with the new update didn't go as planned

Here it is pre-launch (for some reason I didn't get any pictures of the flight)

WOSZNNB.png

Here are the end results. I accidentally quicksaved about 800ms away from the ground going at about 160m/s and the stupid rover weighed the one side down so after numerous retries this was the only time it didn't completely explode

BTfNPxE.png

Mermund was happy at least

xebGAp0.png

1nHscVK.png

I ended up landing in a Moerse Crater (Afrikaans for Huge)

Kerbals_Duna_Stranded_zps2e0d4d23.jpg

How this went down.

'Woot! Finally landing on another planet!'

'Gonna slow down in the atmosphere, better deploy my chutes!'

'Hey where'd the left half of my lander go?'

'Hey i'm going pretty fast...'

'Is that the ground?'

CRASH

ECFDB218B4E3373DF477FE71EC3376BB700D5EBC

434 kilometers per second, just shy of 1million MPH on my way out of the solar system towards parts unknown. The probe survived the explosion of a gigantic rocket about 30k meters above Kerbin and was catapulted right out of the solar system.

While laughing my ass off at this and speeding up time to see just how far it was going to go my entire huge masterpiece space station crashed to the ground without me noticing. I went back to the space center and it was nowhere to be found. What I get for warping at 10,000 and 100,000 I guess. There went about a dozen launches, hours of game play, and 10 or so Kerbonauts. Still worth it.

Well after 11 tries I finally made it to the Mun. :) (Ya me.) Then i ofc wanna take a screenshot of it, But I press and hold F9 (Because you had to do that in another game) aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I quickload to where I havent takenoff so remember dont press F9 guys :)

Thats my fail from here hope you liked it :)

Barely 0.1% of c, Jeb isn't impressed!

My son commented "That's near the speed of light!"

I had to break it to him that it wasn't even close. At the point of the screen shot the probe is right about one light-day out of the system if my math is right.

My son commented "That's near the speed of light!"

I had to break it to him that it wasn't even close. At the point of the screen shot the probe is right about one light-day out of the system if my math is right.

It's amazing to think how hilariously fast light actually goes.

Thats my fail from here hope you liked it :)
I liked it so much that I've done it a couple of times myself. "That didn't work. F9. That didn't work worse. F9. That almost worked. F9. That finally worked! F9 to save... AAARRRGGGGHHH!"

I send my first Kerbal, a lot of success until I accidentally hit the space bar and boom, the CM decouples off the MEM, causing Bill Kerman to crash into the Munar surface, at 1709 meters (?) and at around 2000 m/s. It was a failed successful failure to me. :huh:

Almost the exact same thing happened to me when I first went to the Mun, back in 0.13... I was so happy that I got to the moon, that the evil part of my brain decided, "let's make him hit the spacebar and drop his landing systems." :P

On my first .20 flag/rover seat trip to the Mun, I built a lander which dropped a rover with 3 seats of the bottom. I landed on a slope so when I dropped the rover, it went down and I had to go on a 10km EVA chase after it. Half of that was Jeb getting severe Mun burns when using the Thruster pack to chase it but forgetting the altitude. After that I had to drive it 10km back to the landing site to get Bill and Bob into it for a drive.

My personal favorite was my beautiful wonderful amazing low Kerbin orbit refueling station. I think I called it "Space WaWa" or something. I wish I had screenshots, but I never really bother to take any ever. . . hopefully a good story will suffice. Side-note, I play 100% stock, not even MechJeb.

I had some plans for a friday night that fell through, so I was stuck at home with nothing to do. 0.18 had just come out, which I had been pretty psyched about, so I was like, "Hey, I should build me a space station!" So I sent up some simple orbiters to attach together to get used to docking controls, and then I built what I called a "Space Tug", a craft that can not only throw heavy stuff into orbit, but also maneuver said heavy junk with finesse and precision. Basically a big ol' tugboat in space for docking unpowered stuff (space station parts, large ship parts, etc). An hour and some test flights later, and the Space Wawa core was up and running in an almost perfectly circular 100km orbit. Four hours after that, the Space Wawa has almost 500 parts, four of the large orange 36 ton fuel tanks all topped off, and lots of hitchhiker containers for travelling Kerbals to spend the night. At this point, it was around 2 o'clock and I had had quite a long day, so I decided to call it a night and go to sleep. I'll test it in the morning.

The next day, lots of unexpected junk came up, followed by even more unexpected junk, followed by a week's worth of massive piles of homework, and then I just forgot about the Space Wawa altogether. Fast-forward to last weekend, and I booted KSP up for the first time in a while to find that there was an update. I was about to update it when I remembered the Space Wawa and said to myself, "Self, you should just test out the Space Wawa at least once before you upgrade, just in case the update somehow breaks it." I thanked myself for the suggestion and resolved to do so. Just as I finished building my Eve lander, I got a phone call from my girlfriend telling me that her plans fell through and that she was free for the night. Naturally, I decided to postpone docking my rocket to my space station and spent the day hanging out and playing music, followed by a romantic dinner, followed by docking my rocket to the space station. And then I went home and got back on KSP.

Anyway, I get my lander up in orbit with my tanks about half empty, and set up a rendezvous with the Space WaWa. I set the Space WaWa as target and wait. And wait. And wait. A few orbits later, and we're close enough to start docking maneuvers. This is it. The first real test of both my lander and my space station and my skills as a rocket scientist. The moment of truth. I'm getting closer. Closer. Man I'm tired. Closer. CLOSER. Wait, how do I read the nav ball doohickey for docking again? What's the pink circle thingy? Oh wait, what are even the docking controls? Oh shoot I need to slow d- BOOM.

Five Kerbals are killed instantly, including Jebediah. They are the three pilots of the lander and two crew in a hitchhiker, and they are the lucky ones. The two captains in the control room are sent spinning back into the atmosphere. They're on the opposite side of the planet from KSC, there isn't enough time to launch a rescue mission. The station was never designed to re-enter, there were no parachutes. As one group in Mission Control guided a rescue rocket to save the Kerbals in the surviving Hitchhiker containers stuck in orbit, another watches helplessly from the tracking station as the Space WaWa captains plummet to Kerbin. Ten minutes later, the rescue rocket approaches the first of the two remaining Hitchhikers, with four Kerbals trapped inside. They come in close for a rescue before realizing that in my excitement and horror and general tired state, my skill at piloting an EVA kerbal has absolutely plummetted as some miscellaneous Kerbal crashes into the side of the rescue ship and goes spinning off into space. At that point he was still rescueable, but I just completely gave up and decided to put them out of their misery by deleting the save before updating to 0.20.

This post was written in memory of the brave crew of the Space WaWa, and the Kerbals on the ground who did everything in their power to save them. 5/25/2013. Never forget.

Edited some grammar and whatnot for added readability.

Edited by MisterTelecaster

This game needs an instant replay feature. I just experienced my most spectacular fail to date:

I was launching a heavy lift rocket, but somehow subassembly loader decided to unattach most of my fuel transfer lines. So I started my ascent just fine then at about 6k I started to spin a little, and soon it was a heavy end to end tumble. By this time one of my mainsail boosters was empty, but it's twin was still full. So I hit the stage button and a nearly full mainsail booster took off away from my ship and my empty one fell harmlessly away. I then was able to stabilize my ascent and I think I had a small chance at actually reaching LKO...

But the booster I had ejected had another idea. He had apparently gotten the memo that I wasn't going to space today and executed a perfect loop-d-loop. And after about 10-15 seconds I noticed he was coming back around to remind me of this fact. He bowled a perfect strike into the rest of the rocket shattering it to bits.

So in conclusion. If just one booster says he doesn't feel like going to space today, just tossing him aside doesn't always solve the problem.

So wish i had recorded this.

I learned a valuable lesson today. One must be very careful with the "duplicate" feature, especially on larger designs. If one accidentally duplicates a large section of one's design, the game may slow down and one may become impatient. One may click the mouse 7 or 8 times because of said impatience. One might end up with something like this:

2013-06-02_00001_zps9a28842b.jpg

If one attempts to launch the pictured monstrosity, this might be the result:

KSPSuperfailmp4_snapshot_0023_20130602_002814_zpsd  cbdd0ff.jpg

Here's a video:

I actually had to reduce the overclock on my computer to make that video, to stop it from overheating. You're welcome.

It is about 6-times faster than the fastest man made object to date, the Helios 2 probe. But on a cosmic scale it might as well be standing still.

NOPE! Voyager I

Fastest Manmade object created. Officially exited the solar system several months ago. Your argument is invalid.

NOPE! Voyager I

Fastest Manmade object created. Officially exited the solar system several months ago. Your argument is invalid.

No he is right the Helios 2 is faster in relation to the sun than Voyager.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.