[Showcase] Post your Moon/Planet Landers Thread / Lander building guide.

Oh wow a 6-man atmospheric lander. :D But wouldn't it be cool too if you give it SSTO capability. . . to make it like a small shuttle from let's say Laythe to Vall or Kerbin (just make a NTR stage that can propel it back home.:))?

THAT IS ONE COOL LANDER~! This is what I find as awesome in stock crafts. . . you get to see things that are doign a different role, like the docking port attachments made into torroidal fuel tank cases. :D

Sadly, it fell into obscurity...(as if it had ever been popular) But then again, you know, first craft on the forum.

Here's my latest, a reusable Moho lander. First time using nuclear engines on a lander. Turned out quite nice, plenty of delta-v (around 4300 m/s) and very comfortable to fly.

-snip-

NERVAs turn out to be a good choice for landing in places with no atmosphere (EXCEPT Tylo) due to vaccum efficiency, but the lander would need some workarounds to accommodate its size :D

Don't despair -- landers are kind of a niche. I think Mulbin's Munbug has been so popular because it's the total package, and it replicates a very popular real-life craft.

Yeah, I think a lot of people are probably more impressed with his Saturn replica(which is really awesome).

My LX-130 Hyperion zero-atmo lander, for everything Mun-sized and below, as long as there's no atmosphere. Carries a lot of nice things, like RCS, a small NERVA, a full set of comms. equipment, all the sensors, lots of lights, and a fancy holographic interface for latitute and longitude and fuel levels.

TiGRh9b.jpg

My LX-130 Hyperion zero-atmo lander, for everything Mun-sized and below, as long as there's no atmosphere. Carries a lot of nice things, like RCS, a small NERVA, a full set of comms. equipment, all the sensors, lots of lights, and a fancy holographic interface for latitute and longitude and fuel levels.

TiGRh9b.jpg

That lander's awesome.

Was that your ASCII design?
In ASCII, it would look like this

Landed:

[|]

/ \

Rover decoupled:

[|

/ \ _

You'll have to use your imagination.

It is indeed. For the sake of symmetry I made both sides pop off.

Built this for a Dres mission, but you could use it almost anywhere with no atmosphere by adding some droptanks.

weEjFCQ.jpg

A non-powered lander for dropping a rover on Duna. It even works! :)

dvB9kSX.jpg

Edited by DChurchill

Here at the Kerbal Rocket And Space Headquarters, we have been extensively testing a new lander design. While other space programs are trying to put a Kerbal on the surface of the Mün, we here at KRASH have successfully put a Kerbal on the surface of Kerbin! (Previously, the best we could do was get a Kerbal in a tracksuit up a ladder).

CMLtest_zpsc847d47d.jpg

The extra struts should help reduce the impact of hard landings, where the capsule has the tendency to uncouple. It's got a fair amount of fuel but in testing, consumed it all in ascent and then landing. It is expected to perform better in low-gravity settings, but there's really only one way to test that...

Veeeery very nice landers guys. :D I hope your Rover-lander combination is turning up great Gus. I'll be making another lander soon. . . I plan to land on Dres next. I've been busy making replicas of the ISS and MIR, and even though it's modded. . . the designing and launching is *phew* stressful. ;.;

My first successful self-refueling mun lander.

lfll.png

I have made refinements to it and changed several things but I will not be using it again likely. I am setting up a permanent kethane base on the mun so I will need heavier landers to tank up and then make a sub-orbital jump back to base.

Edited by Captain Sierra
forgot pic XD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.