Doing it Apollo style

No mechjeb? mmm, what aboot those that only use mechjeb as a guidance computer and not for the autopilot features of it? yes yes i know there are "other" mods out there that do that but i don't know nor trust em like i do the good ole mechanical Jebidah!

If allowed to use mechjeb, for non-automatic means I might have a go at this.

I don't know I still crash and burn trying to land on the runway, and mostly use a parachute recovery for my space craft that are not space planes. That and I just HATE HATE HATE the click and drag node setup that is in-game, and mechjebs orbital planner has spoiled me.

Well, there is no need to hit the runway - actually you get +5 point for splashing down (landing on the water). I guess the ocean is a big enough target?

If you so hate the node setup - burning prograde once the moon rises in low kerbin orbit is still a very effective way to get to the mun ;)

Now, this is not Laythe - flying and landing on the Mün by hand is a basic thing and is actually fun. Just try it - I think every KSP vet should be able to do it.

Heads up on my mission:

I've landed (in one piece) the rover has been deployed and so have the science thinghy's (how far? How much? You'll se eventually). Munar reconaissance is ongoing and i'm gonna take the rover for a nice spin very soon! Back to orbit and so on will happen somewhere this weekend.

If you want a somewhat sneak-peek of what rocket I'm using, I'm using an Version 2.0 of my Saturn K rocket (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/69709-Saturn-K) with a brand new 117 part lander! Both will be uploaded to the forums when I've submitted my entry here :P

Also, my launch was night time, is it okay if I launch a second time (just to orbit not munbound) to show that my rocket is fully functional and everything... I've got some night-time footage aswell but it's very dark (i'll upload it anyway, but place it somewhere in the end of the album)

Panzerknoef

Edited by panzerknoef

All right, I'm done! report:

launch was night time so I did a second low altidude launch to show how everything works

actual mission:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

low altitude launch+ escape tower show off

so, If I did everything okay then I should have: 30+10+10+20+10+20+5+10+10+15+10+5+3+5+10+15+10= 198points

Edited by panzerknoef

• 1 month later...

Can I still submit or is this challenge dead?

I think I got all the points:

No orbital construction

LOR Mission

No mods (except Flight engineer and the dust experiment, which did absolutly nothing (sandbox save))

Own design!

3 Man mission

2 Kerbal lander (!)

No aparagus

Escape system/ullage motors

Lander behind CM + Fairing

Free return trajectory

80m from memorial

rovers + 4 packages, drove at least 10 km, dropped the packages at least 2.5 km from each others + Flag.

Redocked and crashed the Lm into the moon, deployed satellite.

No casualties

Super long list, apologies :P

Can I still submit or is this challenge dead?

Yes, you can still submit. This challenge is still alive, although the maintenance-cycles are longer than they used to be.

You have been added ;)

• 8 months later...

Another entry to keep it going. Strictly speaking, this isn't eligible for the leaderboard, as I used a modded lander can (I can't stand the aesthetics of the stock 2-man can) and no mods are allowed, but that's the only mod I used. Under the scoring system I would have claimed 163 points - all goals achieved except anything to do with a rover or deploying subsidiary satellites.

Edited by Scarecrow88