Doing it Apollo style

Hopefully I can salvage my 0.20 rocket and update it for 0.21, I have some more ideas for improving the look

Better start with implementing the S-IVB third stage (oops) instead of having the lander extraction on top of the S-II stage

Here's my entry. I didn't bother to give it a cool name, so it's still called "Apollo Style." It took many tries, and what you see here cuts out a significant number of reloads. In the end, though, I managed to pull off a very successful mission.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Score:

3-man mission: +10

2-man lander: +10

2-stage lander: +20

Asparagus-free: no penalty

Escape tower: +10

Lander behind CM during ascent: +20

Lander inside a fairing: +5

Free return trajectory: +10 (I'm not sure I completely understand the idea of an FRT, so if you think this is in error feel free to take the points off)

Flawless landing: +10

MRV on board: +15

Flag planted: +3

Splashed down: +5

Rover - proper shakedown: +5

Total: 123 points

Edited by nerdboy64

Thank you, nerdboy :D

Well, cool names are not required. A FRT means, that you choose a special path on your way to the mün. Should your engine fail near the mün (not a real threat in KSP, but very real in reality), so that you cannot achieve orbit, a FRT makes sure that you fall back into kerbin atmosphere instead of difting of into space ;) It looks like this:

P03_F15_625.jpg

You didn't post a screenshot of you trajectory to the mün, so I can't tell what you used. However, you forgot you base 30 points, so without FRT you have 143 points :D

Anyways: Did anybody see the NAM in .21? I haven't spottet it yet....

My first 0.21 landing was Apollo (or Kerpollo) Style, too!

I didn't take a rover and my rocket was much smaller than yours (and stock), but it was nice to dock in Kerbin and Mun Orbit... made it feel more realistic.

I had fuel problems and such, but Luman Kerman and his brave crew made it back to Kerbin!!! :D

Thank you, nerdboy :D

You didn't post a screenshot of you trajectory to the mün, so I can't tell what you used. However, you forgot you base 30 points, so without FRT you have 143 points :D

That seems reasonable. I'll take it.

Hey Folks,

So I'm something of a KSP newcomer, but I decided to start doing the challenges after 0.21 came out. I've documented my experience on YouTube if you want to watch.

Part 1: http://youtu.be/AKmsDhmCg5Y

Part 2: http://youtu.be/4EH-BmxJ09Q

30 (Base)

10 (3-kerbal mission)

10 (2-kerbal lander)

20 (Lander behind CM)

10 (Free Return)

3 (Flag)

Total: 83

Assuming one can count this is a mission (-: Must rescue Kerbals on Mun!

Cheers!

- Jason

Well I feel almost honored that someone would make an hour of commented video just because I dared him to go to the mün.

Still, please post screenshots, by now we have over 20 entries - I can't spend one hour on youtube, checking if your calculated your points correctly.

And while I trust you guys, I feel bad if I just copy and paste your stuff, it feels careless.

So, considering that your mission didn't went so well, Calvin, do you want to try again with pictures for us or shall I just add your 83 points to our list?

Has the NAM moved in 0.21? I sent a separate rover mission ahead to that area to act as a navigational marker prior to making my landing attempt. I've turned on the debug window for nav coordinates for the rover only (I plan on turning that off before proceeding with the rest of the mission) and according to kerbalmaps I should be in the right place...yet I cannot see it.

Mun is a lot bumpier in 0.21, that's for sure...flying at 5,000 m used to be safe...

This thread has gathered a lot of attention and the challenge was a lot of fun, and now with a new Mun to explore It'd be great for more people to have a go :)

So this is now Augusts Thread Of The Month, congratulations Xeldrak, thanks for the cool challenge.

Finally managed to get my first 208 ship/mission/entry updated for 0.21

Went for the longer drive this time for the 10 points I missed last time hitting the full 218, lots of little improvements in mission (First stage fins, correct staging, better LM with correct exit/ladder over leg + antennas etc), new terrain certainly didn't make the drive easy.

[Edit] Mk.3 teaser (not for further entries or anything, just because I thought I could improve it)

Edited by NoMrBond

Finally managed to get my first 208 ship/mission/entry updated for 0.21

Went for the longer drive this time for the 10 points I missed last time hitting the full 218, lots of little improvements in mission (First stage fins, correct staging, better LM with correct exit/ladder over leg + antennas etc), new terrain certainly didn't make the drive easy.

Love how you literally "assembled" the rover, very smart!

Love how you literally "assembled" the rover, very smart!

Thanks, I was trying to figure out how to deal with the way the real rover was actually almost rolled up then unpacked with the walking-hinges, and that was what I came up with the simulate unfolding. I don't think having both the halves on the back of the LM was a smart idea though, threw the landers balance off, I'll be able to fix that in the next revision hopefully

Edited by NoMrBond

Okay, this seems like a good thread for me to pose a question that has been sort've . . . 'bugging' me for a while.

Why do the physics in KSP punish long, thin, single fuselage rocket ships

Saturnsandlittlejoe2.gif

but promote short, fat, multi-fuselage rocket ships?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-CF96Des2qF5c5u6ipgZ7lrCn2zbtgVSpGdC7qGc0UKPCG7r2

screenshot43.jpg

Edited by Diche Bach

Okay, this seems like a good thread for me to pose a question that has been sort've . . . 'bugging' me for a while.

Why do the physics in KSP punish long, thin, single fuselage rocket ships

-snip-

but promote short, fat, multi-fuselage rocket ships?

-snip-

Because the physics and aerodynamics in real life are more conducive to the narrow cross-section tower approach

While in KSP a wide body/asparagus works because the physics and aerodynamic models of the game doesn't really handle the stack well (wobbly/weight-crush), and doesn't unduly punish ramming a huge column of air aside to accommodate your ship

Changes to physics and aerodynamics might swing this balance significantly

I've kind've grown fond of the somewhat outlandish (by Earth standards) rocket ships in Kerbal, so I don't mean to complain. But it would be neat if the physics (whatever aspect of them it is) could be adjusted so that making tall thin spaceships like the Saturn V was more viable.