[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Everytime I launch a ship with interstellar parts, when mechjeb starts the gravity turn at 6 km, Interstellar parts rip off the ship very fast and suddenly, no wobble before 6 km. Every. Time. It happens to rip off the entire upper stage, making the rocket spin out and crash. Removing interstellar parts resulted In a perfect launch. Could it be KJR?

Mods:

Interstellar

KW

KJR

Procedural Parts (none were used on the kraken summon rocket)

Mechjeb

FYI. There is little need for KJR with the changes to joints that came in .23.5. That said, I'd need to see the ship to say anything about your issue.

I'm getting a rather odd issue in 32bit that reinstalling both the mod and the game itself hasn't fixed. The thermal turbojets and thermal rocket nozzles appear active in the VAB, with the normal rocket plume and another at 90 degrees. http://i.imgur.com/DJvQzev.png Vessels with them also seem to get hit by the kraken at a bit over 1 km up. Anyone know what might be going on?
The version in the OP is not compatible with the latest version of ksp. You'll need to stay with .23 or update your interstellar version. There is a working version in my sig, use the release version.

So I guess this bug is still present? Is there another way to fix it instead of using the experimental version?

I'm getting a rather odd issue in 32bit that reinstalling both the mod and the game itself hasn't fixed. The thermal turbojets and thermal rocket nozzles appear active in the VAB, with the normal rocket plume and another at 90 degrees. http://i.imgur.com/DJvQzev.png Vessels with them also seem to get hit by the kraken at a bit over 1 km up. Anyone know what might be going on?
The version in the OP is not compatible with the latest version of ksp. You'll need to stay with .23 or update your interstellar version. There is a working version in my sig, use the release version.
Fix and compile the code in fractal's repo.

Well, if I knew anything about Kerbal's scripting language I might do that, but I don't and I really don't want to learn yet another scripting language (at least for now) ;) So basically the answer is no. Thx anyway ;)

Any chance to (easily) get the old cost values back? Without editing it myself :P

WaveFunction you are a gentleman and a scholar for putting so much effort into getting this mode compatible with the new versions of KSP.

Quick question as I haven't seen anything posted about this, could be I'm just not looking hard enough, but is your experimental version stable on 24.2 64bit?

Well, if I knew anything about Kerbal's scripting language I might do that, but I don't and I really don't want to learn yet another scripting language (at least for now) ;) So basically the answer is no. Thx anyway ;)

Any chance to (easily) get the old cost values back? Without editing it myself :P

You can overwrite the parts folder with the OP version and it MAY restore the old costs without causing too many problems. All the part cfg fixes like the node sizes will be reverted though.

You can overwrite the parts folder with the OP version and it MAY restore the old costs without causing too many problems. All the part cfg fixes like the node sizes will be reverted though.

Yeah, figured that out myself using a differencer and so far it seems fine for me.

Can you give me a short explanation on what's the difference between your files using ChargedParticles as resource and fractal's ChargedPower?

Yeah, figured that out myself using a differencer and so far it seems fine for me.

Can you give me a short explanation on what's the difference between your files using ChargedParticles as resource and fractal's ChargedPower?

As far as I can tell, the references to ChargedPower are just a mistake that hasn't been fixed yet. The intent has always been for them to refer to one resource, and given where and how often the names occurred it was easier to converge on ChargedParticles.

. Its just that xenon is a poor choice of fuel for anything except a short kick in the pants.

That's about right. Real-life ion and plasma engines tend to use xenon because the ships are powered by solar or RTGs and have power budgets in the kilowatts, so a low-Isp fuel with more thrust per kilowatt is a good choice to get burns down from weeks to days.

For us, with power budgets in the gigawatts, it does make more sense to choose something heavier than hydrogen but lighter than xenon for your "low-gear" fuel. E.g. lithium.

And yes, you're not the first to calculate a system's total impulse in newton-seconds. Impulse, measured in newton-seconds, is defined as the amount of momentum transferred to the system by a burn, impact, or other interaction. A Over a short enough interval that the mass of fuel used is insignificant compared to the mass of the rocket, the three ways to calculate it (Isp * reaction mass expended, thrust * burn time, or delta-v * ship mass) are equivalent. (Over longer burns, they diverge because they account differently for the cost of accelerating fuel that's expended later). As a matter of fact, the term "specific impulse" comes from the fact that you can calculate it as (total impulse / reaction mass expended).

Could you post a picture of your ship? Are you using FAR?

No I am not using FAR.

25sstc5.jpg

I have seen in this thread that the new update is incompatible, but I thought It was pricing. It seems like it is a Kraken attack. Lightning quick.

No I am not using FAR.

http://i61.tinypic.com/25sstc5.jpg

I have seen in this thread that the new update is incompatible, but I thought It was pricing. It seems like it is a Kraken attack. Lightning quick.

Sheesh, what are you doing, trying to land on the Sun? :P

If you are using the version of interstellar that is linked in the first post, it will not work with the current version of KSP. The parts will likely just fall off.

fractal hasn't updated the part files in his repo for some time. They shouldn't be used. Otherwise I have no idea where you are seeing chargedpower.

I'm assuming 2.5meter nuclear reactors being 2.5million credits is simply a matter of an accidental zero being in the calculations? Since the 3.75 reactor is 500k.

Missing atleast zero on the 3.75 reactor. Reactors are meant to be precious components.

-snip-

Features:

1. Wheels to move towards shore and gently submerge the craft

2. Extracts large amounts of water

3. Moves back onto shore with use of a high mounted thruster (to ensure no damage occurs during submersion)

4. Articulated docking port to dock with a spacecraft nomatter what the surface terrain or height is (to within reasonable limits)

5. Electrolysis water and fills up the spacecrafts transport tanks with fuel

Not exactly the water bird SSTO I wanted but it will do considering the limits of the 2 parts in the interstellar mod... Anyone who could model a small extractor would definitely receive rep from me!

HAH! I did this a while ago. I saw Scott Manley's video where he demonstrated the hydrophobic tendencies of the stock radial air intakes. So, using that idea, and being inspired by how waterbugs look (the refinery looks just like an insect abdomen), I came up with this:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Unfortunately, Infernal updated to tweakscale and nerfed the craft before it could make it to Lathe, but you get the idea in the pictures. It actually uses a set of pistons and hinges to extend the pontoons out, giving it more stability in the water. The fourth picture where it is in the water is actually an older model that used girders, pre-extending pontoons. It uses a few methods to turn; it works like an air-boat so it has those fins, and the thermal turbojet is on a hinge the thrust is vectored. There are also linear atmospheric thrusters on the sides of the pontoon to help steer, but it still handles like a tank that's lost its treads. The idea was, it folded up rather nicely in a fairing when the pontoons were retracted. So, I was going fly to Lathe with it attached to the bottom of my vessel, drop it off, and land next to it. It was going to be the source of fuel for the Jool system as well as the supply of water for my Lathe colony. Really though, Vall seems like better option as far as a refuel planet.

So I am running into a problem I have never seen and wanted to ask if it was normal. I have in the past had Satellites with no heat radiators on them and JUST solar panels and had no problems with waste heat build up. But now all of a sudden the panels are shutting down on a survey say over the Mun due to excess heat. I know that tweakscale has added stuff into tweakexponents but I don't know if this is causing a bug, or if there is a bug at all or if it is working as designed. If so no worries I will just add radiators to my satellites, I just never had to before. Thanks for the help in advance!

I had an issue before that I just now resolved. I have RasterPropMonitor and TextureReplacer installed and when combined with KSPI it was breaking RPM and I didn't know how it was but I have found it was because of TextureReplacer in my case. The solution was to add a cfg in the TextureReplacer directory with the following to fix RPM.

TextureReplacer

{

keepLoaded = ^WarpPlugin/PlanetResourceData/

}

Thanks Jefferson, ive got both the same mods installed as you have, but it hasnt been breaking RPM for me for some reason (typical KSP!) But ive added that code to my texture replacer just incase to be safe, so ta muchly! :)

I am having a problem with this mod. Several of the peaces do not attach to stock peaces without many struts and will fall through the ground and some stock peaces. Also, no fission or antimatter reactors will work, so fusion is out of the question. The science lab wont work either, and not just because there is no power.

lEoJKtz.pngnvDyLrZ.pngOUuB43a.png

Edited by gigaboom2