KSP Orbit Mechanic 1.2a: Optimize Your Orbits

WX_Echo

Fellow KSP fans,

Version 1.2a (beta) has been published and is available for download here. To ensure compatibility, please download/update your Java software here.

If your wondering what KSP Orbit Mechanic can do for you, consider the following:

- Once you\'re in orbit, you\'re going to need data to help you understand what kind of orbit you\'ve achieved. A complete set of orbital parameters is provided for your bounded orbits.

- Want to go somewhere? Select your preferred transfer method (e.g. Hohmann, Bi-elliptic, Inclined Three-Impulse, etc.) and enter your known data. KSP Orbit Mechanic will give you all the data you need (and quite a bit more).

- Want to intercept the Mun? Check out the Hohmann Transfer section and use 11400km for your target orbit altitude; the data the calculator provides will indicate the lead/lag angle needed to intercept the Mun, the recommended time to initiate the transfer burn, the Delta-Vs required to get out to the Mun\'s circular orbit, and if a more efficient bi-elliptic transfer is available.

- Want to see how much more massive Earth is when compared to Kerbin? How about the equatorial radius? Surface gravity? If you answered 'yes' to any of these, or would like to know anything and everything there is to know about the game\'s celestial bodies (and a few real ones), check out the Astronomical Objects section.

In summary, KSP orbit Mechanic provides a robust minimum-fuel transfer analysis for Hohmann, Bi-elliptic, and inclined transfer schemes. More specifically, it will compare available transfer methods and analyze which option provides the minimum-fuel solution for the transfer data provided (i.e. initial altitude, target altitude, terminal radius ratio, etc). It also provides a complete analysis for all bounded orbits (i.e. elliptical or circular).

Download KSP Orbit Mechanic 1.2a

Changelog:

==Version 1.2a (Beta)==

- Updated the main menu to properly sort reference diagrams and graphs.

- New graph indicating the cost to circularize an elliptical orbit as a function of your position in that orbit. This graph conclusively indicates that the minimum-fuel location for such a maneuver is at the apoapse of the elliptic orbit.

- Clear buttons now reset combination boxes to their default values.

- Changed the default position of the GUI when loading the program. The calculator will now detect your screen resolution and adjust its starting position based on your monitor properties.

- Improved the interface and data offered in the 'Circular Orbits' form.

- Improved the interface and data offered in the 'Elliptical Orbits' form. Added a 'Dynamic Orbital Data' section which provides relevant parameters based on your current altitude (e.g. current speed, delta-v to circularize, flight path angle, true anomaly, etc.). I\'m a big fan of the elliptic orbit circumference data now available.

- Augmented the 'Hohmann Transfers' section to include all of the data now provided by the 'Elliptical Orbits' form. Modified the 'Next Syzygy' section to allow the user to specify the game time (in HH:MM:SS) of the last syzygy. With this data, KSP Orbit Mechanic will now provide the game time of the next opportunity for intercept. Please note: to use this function, simply note the game time that your spacecraft and the target object (e.g. the Mun) are aligned in a straight line configuration. Select the kind of syzygy observed (i.e. opposition, conjunction, inferior conjunction, superior conjunction) and the calculator will tell you when to execute your maneuver. This feature, if used properly, is tremendously useful for orbit transfers.

==Version 1.1==

- Added inclined orbit transfer data.

- Added reference graphics for inclined orbits and optimal non-coplanar orbit transfers.

- Redesigned the user interface to enable access to multiple calculation forms simultaneously.

- Added web links for relevant Wikipedia articles.

- Added a link to the 'Celestial Bodies' reference table within each calculation form.

- Highlighter empty input fields in yellow, and provide an error pop-up window, when insufficient user data is supplied.

- Miscellaneous code optimizations.

==Version 1.0==

- Project deployed.

Hohmann Transfer Diagram:

LEqVs.jpg

Optimal Transfer Analysis Between Coplanar Circular Orbits:

qsPcy.jpg

Elliptical Orbit Circularization Fuel Cost:

3gHZl.jpg

Intercept Condition:

rBx5K.jpg

This project was tremendously fun to develop, and I hope it becomes a useful reference for those in the community.

Please feel free to send me your comments, questions, or feedback! Happy orbiting!

Download Link: http://www./file/63l201kysd1q93i/KSPOrbitMechanic_1.2a.zip

Edited by WX_Echo

Thanks guys! I will release some supporting documents soon to help folks understand how to use it better.

The basic idea is to select your orbital scheme (i.e. circular, elliptical, Hohmann, transfer, b-elliptical transfer, etc.) and then supply the calculator with your known orbital data (e.g. altitude, speed, etc).

The intercept condition section is actually quite cool, because the intercept angle tells you the relative angular separation necessary for the desired transfer, and whether you need a lead or lag orientation, when you wish to intercept an orbital object (like the Mun).

If you plug in a standard parking orbit of 150km, and select the target altitude of 11400km (i.e. the Mun\'s altitude above Kerbin), you will get 110.3 deg. This number means the Mun must be 110.3 degrees ahead of your spacecraft (lead orientation because the intercept angle is > 0) for intercept to occur. You can also reference the Intercept Condition graphic in the 'Reference Graphics' section for a detailed diagram.

The bi-ellliptic tab took quite some time to code, and provides a wealth of information. Most notably, in addition to the Delta-Vs required to accomplish the maneuver, it will tell you how much fuel you saved (over the Hohmann transfer) and what time penalty you pay for selecting the bi-elliptic transfer scheme. It will will also tell you which transfer scheme (i.e. bi-elliptical or Hohmann) is the optimal minimum-fuel maneuver.

The Celestial Bodies reference tables are quite neat, because you can skip the wiki data and have all reference material right there within the calculator. I threw in some real astronomical objects to provide meaningful reference data. Now, for example, you can compare Earth and Earth\'s Moon to Kerbin, the Mun, or Kerbol to see how their mass, radius, equatorial surface speed, etc compare to one another. You can even express this information as a ratio (i.e. the Earth is 112.92 times more massive than Kerbin, while its semi-major axis is exactly 11 times larger than Kerbin\'s.)

I will provide more tools and help soon. For now, however, the calculator works and is ready for community use.

Hope it helps!

No plans for an Android app right now, but it\'s a possibility in the future. My primary goals are to add support tools to help folks use the program, including tooltips and a quick reference guide, and add support for the patched conic method of interplanetary mission analysis. It\'s a bit premature for the patched conic method right now, but it will become very helpful when additional astronomical objects (like Venus and Mars equivalents) are added to the game.

I\'m anticipating questions on how to use the intercept condition section, including the 'last syzygy' and 'next syzygy' sections. For those who are curious, you can enter the game time (i.e. HH:MM:SS) of the last syzygy (i.e. opposition or conjunction) and the program will use the Synodic Period to calculate (in game time) the next syzygy.

This is very useful to the KSP player if you substitute in the last game time where the intercept condition was satisfied (i.e. the last time when the required relative angular separation occurred). In practice, all you have to do is note the intercept angle (say 110.30 degrees, i.e. the intercept angle for a Hohmann transfer from a 150km parking orbit around Kerbin to the Mun) and the last time it occurred (HH:MM:SS) and press compute. In this case, the next syzygy time would correspond to your next opportunity for a Hohmann transfer to your target.

Please feel free to send me your questions!

:o ??? :o ??? :o

This looks awesome! Downloading it straight away. Thanks!

Glad you like it! :)

I\'m working on V 1.1 right now, which I hope to have out by the end of this weekend. I\'m going to focus on menu bar functionality, a help/support section, and possibly inclined orbit maneuvers.

I would welcome any suggestions in the mean time. I\'m grateful for everyone\'s kind words and feedback! ;)

Hey gents,

Just a quick update. I\'m almost complete with version 1.1. It features a streamlined GUI, plane change maneuvers (i.e. orbit cranking), and improved support features. I still haven\'t started a proper support manual, but that will have to wait until next week.

Please feel free to send me your requests and feedback.

4H2Df.png

FYI - I\'m exploring the possibility of an Android app for those who wish to have a simplified version available outside of their gaming computer.

Version 1.1 is now available for download. You can grab it here.

Changelog:

==Version 1.1==

- Added inclined orbit transfer data.

- Added reference graphics for inclined orbits and optimal non-coplanar orbit transfers.

- Redesigned the user interface to enable access to multiple calculation forms simultaneously.

- Added web links for relevant Wikipedia articles.

- Added a link to the 'Celestial Bodies' reference table within each calculation form.

- Highlighter empty input fields in yellow, and provide an error pop-up window, when insufficient user data is supplied.

- Miscellaneous code optimizations.

==Version 1.0==

- Project deployed.

This is pretty much the cram of the crop calculators for KSP you could ever get your hands on. Why is this not mroe popular?

Thanks for the kind words, Tim. I\'m hopeful that more folks will catch on as the word gets out. I worked very hard on the last iteration in particular; the inclined orbit transfers were rather tricky to code. I\'m grateful for your comment and would certainly appreciate any word-of-mouth advertising you happen to pass.

I have more ideas in the works, and I would love any feedback you gents have on the calculator.

Coming in the next version:

- YouTube videos demonstrating how to use the calculator to intercept the Mun, execute various Hohmann transfers, etc.

- Patched conic analysis

- Presets for popular orbit transfers (e.g. kerbin->Mun Hohmann transfer)

Long range: investigating the possibility of an Android app

Let me know if you guys have any questions on how to use the calculator! :)

Although I\'m no expert with Apple computers, I\'m not aware of any reason why an executable JAR file could not run on a Mac. I\'ll do some research and get back to you.

And Android app is very possible, but it will have to wait for a while. It will also have to be a stripped-down version of what\'s currently included in the calculator; there are simply far too many menus, options, and data fields for a smartphone application.

Although I\'m no expert with Apple computers, I\'m not aware of any reason why an executable JAR file could not run on a Mac. I\'ll do some research and get back to you.

And Android app is very possible, but it will have to wait for a while. It will also have to be a stripped-down version of what\'s currently included in the calculator; there are simply far too many menus, options, and data fields for a smartphone application.

Mac doesnt know what to do with .exe files but i\'ll give it a whirl when i get home from work.

It downloads a index.php???

The hell?

Okay, I believe this is a browser issue. I received the error when using Firefox; however, I had no trouble downloading the file when using Chrome or IE. For anyone downloading the file via the forum attachment (i.e. not using the primary MediaFire download link), please be advised that you may receive an 'index.php' error when using Firefox.

To avoid this, download with Chrome, IE, or use the MediaFire link here: Download KSP Orbit Mechanic 1.1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.