[1.0] KerbPaint - Paint layering for parts (March 30th, 2016) Community Update

Texel

2 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

He was just showing his progress he has not sent any files yet to add to the masks, right now it just has a placeholder config that colors everything.

I dont fully understand. Placeholder? He was preparing parts for the mod or something and not just using your mod?

5 minutes ago, Robje said:

I dont fully understand. Placeholder? He was preparing parts for the mod or something and not just using your mod?

Kerbpaint uses a config and a Mask to paint parts, he was making a Mask and config, he has not shared them though. I have made configs for most parts but not all the Masks, so the whole part just gets painted. It's a laborious process making masks and I wanted to cover off a lot of parts, it doesn't matter with things like fuselages, but obviously cockpits are not good.

12 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Kerbpaint uses a config and a Mask to paint parts, he was making a Mask and config, he has not shared them though. I have made configs for most parts but not all the Masks, so the whole part just gets painted. It's a laborious process making masks and I wanted to cover off a lot of parts, it doesn't matter with things like fuselages, but obviously cockpits are not good.

Thank you :) i think i understand

10 hours ago, Kirogn 1 said:

I REALY want this mod but cant ever get it to work.  Either i'm downloading it wrong or is there a comod needed.  Please help

It needs ModuleManager to work

Make sure you download from about a page back and not the front page, in vab/sph mouse over part on craft and press p

Not all parts will work yet 

Edited by selfish_meme

On 24/02/2016 at 8:50 PM, selfish_meme said:

There are currently no mods parts in it, no one has made masks for them.

I don't know if you removed them from the archive you uploaded because I have not checked but there were select mods covered by the original download and I expanded on that a little.

Stretchy Tanks

Procedural Wings

Procedural Fairings

The first 2 were in the base package, I expanded on pWings and added pFairings. Also, while they are no longer relevant, I did also cover Spaceplane Plus before it was swallowed up by the stock game. I think I also started working on KAX many moons ago but ran out of muster when life got in the way. Anywho...

715BCB5C039F3D80DBF2734A3F963B5BD0B834DE

...most of the MK3 parts are covered in two layers. Hit a snag on my planned design that cannot be overcome due to how things work so slapped in some silliness to relieve my frustration while I try to think about it. Also, if I stick with how things are, I'll need to revisit my SP+ masks because it looks odd when moving to the adaptor parts.

2 hours ago, Manwith Noname said:

I don't know if you removed them from the archive you uploaded because I have not checked but there were select mods covered by the original download and I expanded on that a little.

Stretchy Tanks

Procedural Wings

Procedural Fairings

The first 2 were in the base package, I expanded on pWings and added pFairings. Also, while they are no longer relevant, I did also cover Spaceplane Plus before it was swallowed up by the stock game. I think I also started working on KAX many moons ago but ran out of muster when life got in the way. Anywho...

I have removed the modded parts, just the stock parts were hard enough to reorganise with my limited time. The way I have it structured whoever wants to add support for a mod can just add a separate config file and masks to the KerbPaint folder. They don't need to touch the stock stuff at all.

Stretchy Tanks was folded into procedural parts and the others have gone through big changes, I don't know if they work anymore, I have not tried. If someone wants to do it they are welcome.

On 2/8/2016 at 1:10 AM, selfish_meme said:

I have been updating the configs and masks, the plugin itself runs fine in 1.05, if you download from the link in the post two above yours it covers most of the parts, I am adding more and fixing masks as I go, but it's a big job and I have a life.

wow, ok thanks.

FS PRO BRASIL SERVER:.: FS2004/FSX - Xtreme Prototypes X-15

I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but i figured out how to get the original (done by the original author) mod and the new version (done by selfish_meme) merged.

All you have to do is, to first install the newest version of kerbpaint normally, then download the original version, take its plugin data file and the cfg file and just put them in the same folder with the new version.

I don't know if all of the old modded parts are still supported, but at least prosedural wings still works.

UZt0JZu.png

EgwP7NM.png

I Just took one of my very old (It was built right after the porkjet parts became stock parts) weather surveillance/airborne science labs, modded it a little bit and slapped a Tornado 2 themed paintjob on it to see if the mod still works after this merge.

And it does, but there is one unwanted side-effect tough, and that is that some mirrored parts might lose their paint job, but after reapplying the paint to those spots, it seem to stay.

47 minutes ago, kidolvski said:

Probably a stupid question: how do I paint stuff. I installed the mod using the download link on page 25, but P doesn't do anything.

You probably don't have module manager installed, or you are trying to paint a part that has no config yet.

3 hours ago, kapteenipirk said:

I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but i figured out how to get the original (done by the original author) mod and the new version (done by selfish_meme) merged.

All you have to do is, to first install the newest version of kerbpaint normally, then download the original version, take its plugin data file and the cfg file and just put them in the same folder with the new version.

I don't know if all of the old modded parts are still supported, but at least prosedural wings still works.

UZt0JZu.png

EgwP7NM.png

I Just took one of my very old (It was built right after the porkjet parts became stock parts) weather surveillance/airborne science labs, modded it a little bit and slapped a Tornado 2 themed paintjob on it to see if the mod still works after this merge.

And it does, but there is one unwanted side-effect tough, and that is that some mirrored parts might lose their paint job, but after reapplying the paint to those spots, it seem to stay.

It might work but you now have multiple configs for the same part and you might be overwriting masks that I have fixed. I reorganised it for a reason. YMMV.

On 8.3.2016 at 0:57 AM, selfish_meme said:

You probably don't have module manager installed, or you are trying to paint a part that has no config yet.

It might work but you now have multiple configs for the same part and you might be overwriting masks that I have fixed. I reorganised it for a reason. YMMV.

I would have left it untouched, but i needed the prosedural wings to be colourable, so that i can do different liveries for the 1:1 AN-225 project that i'm doing. It currently has over 1400 parts and putting together all stock wings for that would have propably added about 800 or so more parts.

Sorry, But it had to be done.

3 minutes ago, kapteenipirk said:

I would have left it untouched, but i needed the prosedural wings to be colourable, so that i can do different liveries for the 1:1 AN-225 project that i'm doing. It currently has over 1400 parts and putting together all stock wings for that would have propably added about 800 or so more parts.

Sorry, But it had to be done.

No need to apologise you can do whatever you like, I might not advocate other people doing it though. What I would do is find the configs for the procedural parts and move them in to their own config file without the stock parts, then they would not conflict.

On 8.3.2016 at 1:30 AM, selfish_meme said:

No need to apologise you can do whatever you like, I might not advocate other people doing it though. What I would do is find the configs for the procedural parts and move them in to their own config file without the stock parts, then they would not conflict.

I'll will propably do that when i have a little more time to tinker around with files. I could propably do that for some of the other parts as well.

2 minutes ago, kapteenipirk said:

I'll will propably do that when i have a little more time to tinker around with files. I could propably do that for some of the other parts as well.

If you do, let me know and I will add them to the download pack for people

First...

Slightly overdue and not really how I want them but might as well put them up for the dying days of 1.0.5, some MK3 parts.

Spoiler

D8C4832919F18AEAD6F8070C4FD037E2662C0F90

...here's a pic showing the 3 layers better...

Spoiler

9F5DA28D60AA9DF5FE9C84F4B1215A9B2FED5D7E

It comes in two formats...

1) A version that works with the original KerbPaint zip....here.

2) The selfish_meme edition, which if you had not guessed, works with the restructured pack.....here.

If it all still works with 1.1 when it comes then I will probably change some of the third layer but I kind of lost enthusiasm when I realised my initial plan couldn't be done due to efficient base texturing.

Now, as for Procedural wings. The original shader maps are still in the repack, so all that is needed is to bring back the config code...

// PWings Support 
@PART[Proceduralwing2]
{
    MODULE
    {
	name = ModulePaintable
	Texture = Proceduralwing2_Paint
	Shader = Bump
	DeepReplace = true
    }
}

@PART[ProceduralwingBac9]
{
    MODULE
    {
	name = ModulePaintable
	Texture = ProceduralwingBac9_Paint
	Shader = BumpSpec
	DeepReplace = true
   }
}

@PART[pAdapter]
{
    MODULE
    {
	name = ModulePaintable
	Texture = BaseAll_Paint
	Shader = Diffuse
	DeepReplace = true
    }
}

There is also the additional update I released some time ago which covers some of the later additions to those procedural parts. They can be found here.

Hopefully, this all works for everyone and Texel makes an appearance when 1.1 is released. Having this work with DX11 would probably be a big bonus.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.