[1.0] KerbPaint - Paint layering for parts (March 30th, 2016) Community Update

Texel

• 3 weeks later...

Just checked it myself. The mod retains basic functionality, however, upon installing it alongside other mods (namely EPL, Civ Pop, Tweakscale, and other mods that either modify or add parts), the performance and initial loading time drop significantly (loading time increases from 2-3 minutes on my hdd up to an hour).

Also, it appears that the repainted texture is broken on newer parts: there are lines of paint where there shouldn't be any, and there is empty space that's supposed to be painted instead. On latest parts, the shader doesn't work at all.

Edited by Kroopz

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK I have started looking at updating some masks, I think I have figured out how to do it, radiator panels next, I have one no-brainer already, in the directory KerbPaint/plugins/KerbPaint.cfg look for the text 

airplaneTail

Copy and paste this just below it's section and save file

@PART[airplaneTailB]
{
	MODULE
    {
	name = ModulePaintable
	Texture = airplaneTail_Paint
	Shader = BumpSpec
	DeepReplace = true
    }
}

Now enjoy painting the Tail Connector B like so

prhVEjM.png

This was totally not what I planned on doing with my two hours of playtime tonight.

Oh, I might put together a new zip, with just stock parts, no extraneous modulemanger.dll (you must remove it or suffer issues) and only part masks for the ones I have vetted, many have changed recently and they need testing.

On 02/10/2015 at 5:57 PM, Avera9eJoe said:

Someone mentioned to me that it still worked though.

On 30/11/2015 at 2:42 AM, Azimech said:

Sometimes with bugs, yes.

I have uploaded a small config file, this covers the fixed radiator panels and the Airplane Tail B, plus the mk0 liquid fuel tank

7VhPwGJ.jpg

You can download it here (see end of thread), just add it to your /KerbPaint/Plugins directory, luckily no masks are needed I will work on those later as I go through all the stock parts. Again, please remove the MM dll from the Kerbpaint.zip download it will cause issues. Get the one from a few pages back for now, I will provide a new complete zip file soon.

Edited by selfish_meme

46 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Blimey ... that's all there's to it? Would you mind if I expand the thing? I want to be able to paint everything!

I don't mind but it won't work in all cases. Anything that already has an MM script will use that and some parts need masks to block out stuff. Thats why I want to reorganise and redo masks for some stuff.

2 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

I don't mind but it won't work in all cases. Anything that already has an MM script will use that and some parts need masks to block out stuff. Thats why I want to reorganise and redo masks for some stuff.

Well it works fine for me, and I've made an updated version with a few more parts like the DTS antenna. I'm throwing it on Dropbox because it's exactly what my Hind needs. Thanks!

EDIT (by the "later" me): This issue is caused by latent "ModuleManager.dll" HIDDEN INSIDE OF PLUG-IN DIRECTORY. Thanks to selfish_meme for persistently pointing this out!!

Hello I would like to confirm that this mod causes MASSIVE increase in loading time of the game.

This happens on Linux x64 version! The loading time increases to over 60 minutes+ (I had to terminate it).

I figured this out by removing mods one by one! This is quite serious bug!

Edited by Kerbal101
Issue ressolved!

2 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

Hello I would like to confirm that this mod causes MASSIVE increase in loading time of the game.

This happens on Linux x64 version! The loading time increases to over 60 minutes+ (I had to terminate it).

I figured this out by removing mods one by one! This is quite serious bug!

Hi Kerbal101, I'm not the dev (he has not been heard from for a long time) but I have been working with it recently and I use it on Linux too. Did you read the last posts on this thread from a couple of pages back where the latest download is? There is a ModuleManager.dll distributed with the download that must be removed, it is very old and will cause issues. Otherwise with the latest configs posted on this page it seems to work quite well.

17 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Hi Kerbal101, I'm not the dev (he has not been heard from for a long time) but I have been working with it recently and I use it on Linux too. Did you read the last posts on this thread from a couple of pages back where the latest download is? There is a ModuleManager.dll distributed with the download that must be removed, it is very old and will cause issues. Otherwise with the latest configs posted on this page it seems to work quite well.

EDIT (by the "later" me): This issue is caused by latent "ModuleManager.dll" HIDDEN INSIDE OF PLUG-IN DIRECTORY. Thanks to selfish_meme for persistently pointing this out!!

Hello! Thanks for pinging back! I am using standalone Module Manager (pulled, extracted, installed manually): 2.6.17. I also tried older currently shipped with other mods - 2.6.13. No difference. Module Manager DLL from other mods is not pesent, only one latest DLL in root of GameData

By just adding KerbPaint folder back to GameData, I again get massive performance drop. To compare how actually massive:
- without KerbPaint: start KSP, make a cup of coffee, when I get back its loaded.
- with KerbPaint: start KSP, make breakfast, go to work, make dinner, eat it, go back from work late at night - I think it would still be loading.
Its like difference between ... Pentium 1(one) 90Mhz and Pentium Core2Quad.

Screenshot: http://imgur.com/04aW6Mu

The CPU usage is 25% all the time (I have quadcore, means 1 core is fully loaded - regardless of affinity or scheduler type, or priority(niceness) for CPU and IO).
It does not play a role which resource is loaded - sounds, textures - they all slow. Also UI itself is *extremely* sluggish, for example mods such as *StockBugFix* detect first launch and draw initial configuration box right at loading screen. Without *KerbPaint* they are perfectly responsible as stuff happily loads in background.

Game is from GOG, stock 1.0.5, then about 40 mods. Most heavy is OuterPlanets Mod.
Also, I have not "slapped" mods over and over - I created a comparsion table in LibreOffice Calc first. For *each* mod I installed, I have read throuroughly what it does, where it conflicts, read posts if it has some bugs, if it works with 1.0.5. Every one is manually downloaded and manually installed. The only file conflict was between - *Kerbal Aircraft Expansion(KAX)(mod)* and *USI Kononization(mod)*, both include internal version of *Firesplitter (mod)* - and KAX one is patched (stated in readme) and must be installed overwriting stock one from USI; no other file conflicts... game is currenlty perfectly playable with same fps and only 500MiB more RAM (1,8GiB vs 1,2GiB).

Thank you!

Edited by Kerbal101
more detail

7 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

Hello! Thanks for pinging back! I am using standalone Module Manager (pulled, extracted, installed manually): 2.6.17. I also tried older currently shipped with other mods - 2.6.13. No difference. Module Manager DLL from other mods is not pesent, only one latest DLL in root of GameData

By just adding KerbPaint folder back to GameData, I again get massive performance drop. To compare how actually massive:
- without KerbPaint: start KSP, make a cup of coffee, when I get back its loaded.
- with KerbPaint: start KSP, make breakfast, go to work, make dinner, eat it, go back from work late at night - I think it would still be loading.
Its like difference between ... Pentium 1(one) 90Mhz and Pentium Core2Quad.

Screenshot: http://imgur.com/04aW6Mu

The CPU usage is 25% all the time (I have quadcore, means 1 core is fully loaded - regardless of affinity or scheduler type, or priority(niceness) for CPU and IO).
It does not play a role which resource is loaded - sounds, textures - they all slow. Also UI itself is *extremely* sluggish, for example mods such as *StockBugFix* detect first launch and draw initial configuration box right at loading screen. Without *KerbPaint* they are perfectly responsible as stuff happily loads in background.

Game is from GOG, stock 1.0.5, then about 40 mods. Most heavy is OuterPlanets Mod.
Also, I have not "slapped" mods over and over - I created a comparsion table in LibreOffice Calc first. For *each* mod I installed, I have read throuroughly what it does, where it conflicts, read posts if it has some bugs, if it works with 1.0.5. Every one is manually downloaded and manually installed. The only file conflict was between - *Kerbal Aircraft Expansion(KAX)(mod)* and *USI Kononization(mod)*, both include internal version of *Firesplitter (mod)* - and KAX one is patched (stated in readme) and must be installed overwriting stock one from USI; no other file conflicts... game is currenlty perfectly playable with same fps and only 500MiB more RAM (1,8GiB vs 1,2GiB).

Thank you!

Hi Kerbal101, as I am not the dev I can't do anything with all that great information. The one thing I asked that you didn't tell me is, did you delete the ModuleManager.2.6.2.dll that is in the KerbPaint zip so it does not interfere with your already installed ModuleManager?

Edited by selfish_meme

45 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Hi Kerbal101, as I am not the dev I can't do anything with all that great information. The one thing I asked that you didn't tell me is, did you delete the ModuleManager.2.6.2.dll that is in the KerbPaint zip so it does not interfere with your already installed ModuleManager?

Hi! Did you know that you are awesome?! Now you do!!! :lol::lol::lol:You are awesome, my friend!!! :lol::lol::lol:

The persistence you repeat "ModuleManager" - made me unzip and check the whole directory tree of plugin. Indeed! There is a "ModuleManager.dll" sitting inside of "KerbPaint/Plugins/".

Dear Developer! Please delete this file for good!!  It causes serious issues, if left there! Just state this mod depends on latest "ModuleManager" and delete it for good!

The plugin now works as advertized and does not affect game loading speed!

5 minutes ago, Kerbal101 said:

Hi! Did you know that you are awesome?! Now you do!!! :lol::lol::lol:You are awesome, my friend!!! :lol::lol::lol:

The persistence you repeat "ModuleManager" - made me unzip and check the whole directory tree of plugin. Indeed! There is a "ModuleManager.dll" sitting inside of "KerbPaint/Plugins/".

Dear Developer! Please delete this file for good!!  It causes serious issues, if left there! Just state this mod depends on latest "ModuleManager" and delete it for good!

The plugin now works as advertized and does not affect game loading speed!

I doubt the dev will hear you, he has been gone a long time, different people have picked this up but we can't rewrite it because of the license, we can only make configs and masks. I did explain a few posts back about removing the dll, but people don't tend to read to the end of the post.

9 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

I doubt the dev will hear you, he has been gone a long time, different people have picked this up but we can't rewrite it because of the license, we can only make configs and masks. I did explain a few posts back about removing the dll, but people don't tend to read to the end of the post.

Well, you stated "There is a ModuleManager.dll distributed with the download that must be removed, it is very old and will cause issues."
Problem is - nearly every mod redistributes "ModuleManager.dll". However, this one hides it inside - this is why it wasn't really obvious to me. ;)
Thank you very much!!

8 minutes ago, Kerbal101 said:

Well, you stated "There is a ModuleManager.dll distributed with the download that must be removed, it is very old and will cause issues."
Problem is - nearly every mod redistributes "ModuleManager.dll". However, this one hides it inside - this is why it wasn't really obvious to me. ;)
Thank you very much!!

Your right I will have to put the path in, I should just get around to repackaging it and save the effort

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.