[0.23.5] TreeLoader - Custom Career Tech-tree Loader 1.1.5

r4m0n

I hope r4m0n updates the license. The mod has been a little rough around the edges for some time, and while I don't care much about contacting servers without opt-in, I know a lot of others do. Moreover, once the new TOS for KSP come into effect, this mod will be in violation as it always contacts a server for the choose-tree prompt without user consent on first load. The community hasn't stepped up and built a better mod here mostly because this one has worked, more or less. Now that Planet Forge is finally dead, new, better mods are popping up in it's place. I think the same would happen here.

Never the less, thankyou r4m0n for all you've done for the community up till now!

well if this mod was some how killed (lost download links or something) would we honestly be able to expect squad to actually open up a the tech tree to modding?

There are enough other mods that rely on this one (and package it with their download) that you should always be able to find a copy. (Interstellar packages it.)

The code is simple enough that someone just needs to take a few hours and recreate it. TreeEdit would be much harder, but the core TreeLoader functionality (without the useless and dumb downloading/selection list) should be pretty easy. I'd do it, but I simply don't have time. It will happen, sooner or later; the mod community is definitely leaning toward permissive license options these days. I remember when similar things happened for DEADBEEF's essential mods a year or so ago: Subassembly Loader, EdTools, and Dynamic Warp. Other modders just had to recreate and re-release those.

• 2 weeks later...

No. He could, but if he does not want to, or like NathanKell mentioned, not have the priority to.. why would he? Personally, I expect nothing from r4mon regarding KSP and his mods, as I know I would not like it if others had that expectation of me. I do expect others to have at least some modicum of courtesy when it comes to other peoples personal lives and whether they contribute - for free I might add - their time and effort to a game. r4mon could at least do anything.. but he does not have to if he does not want to.

Is there any way to get this mod to work for science mode?

It only seems to work for the new career mode with all of the insane contracts.

It will be a pretty quick fix if r4mon gets a chance to do it, but it requires a change in the plugin that the license doesn't allow anyone except r4mon to make. The best anyone else can do is contribute to the development of a freely modifiable replacement.

r4m0n not being around does suck in the overall sense, since he was IS a great modder. That said, I don't begrudge anyone for going dark, as I do it often as well.

That said, I've run into a problem with KSP Interstellar, one of the mods that packages this mod. I posted there recently about how up until earlier this week, TreeLoader worked the way I've grown to expect it to, but somehow it stopped working at the first-run tree selection screen. This mod is apparently not communicating with the online tree repository, or the repository itself has gone dark (perhaps r4m0n's subscription to a host has expired or lapsed?) Can anyone confirm this? Can anyone "see" within the code of this mod to identify the repository so that someone, perhaps even I, could manually try to visit it in a browser to either confirm, or manually download and install the tree I'm looking for? (Interstellar does ship with its own custom tree, but TreeLoader always prompts me to install an update to it and restart KSP, so I'd prefer the updated version if at all possible.)

Note, I am not complaining, nor am I asking someone to fix my problem for me. I just don't know how to proceed, and I'm hoping that someone else can provide me some guidance.

Edited by MisterFister
changed the strikethrough text

r4m0n not being around does suck in the overall sense, since he was IS a great modder. That said, I don't begrudge anyone for going dark, as I do it often as well.

That said, I've run into a problem with KSP Interstellar, one of the mods that packages this mod. I posted there recently about how up until earlier this week, TreeLoader worked the way I've grown to expect it to, but somehow it stopped working at the first-run tree selection screen. This mod is apparently not communicating with the online tree repository, or the repository itself has gone dark (perhaps r4m0n's subscription to a host has expired or lapsed?) Can anyone confirm this? Can anyone "see" within the code of this mod to identify the repository so that someone, perhaps even I, could manually try to visit it in a browser to either confirm, or manually download and install the tree I'm looking for? (Interstellar does ship with its own custom tree, but TreeLoader always prompts me to install an update to it and restart KSP, so I'd prefer the updated version if at all possible.)

Note, I am not complaining, nor am I asking someone to fix my problem for me. I just don't know how to proceed, and I'm hoping that someone else can provide me some guidance.

I believe this is what you are looking for: http://www.kspmodders.com/treeedit/backend.php

That is just from a quick parusal of the code but it does appear that this page does not load?

Upon further investigation of the web address it appears that every aspect of that site is either broken or disconnected.

Edited by Sgfried

That only lets you use stock nodes at the moment, which is no good for a mod like Interstellar.

Exactly. That's why I shorted the TreeLoader mod and instead just copied the tree.cfg from the WarpPlugin folder right into my Save folder. *shrug* I might not have the latest updated tree from the TreeLoader server, but hey.

• 2 weeks later...

KSP seems to be have a "bigger is better" mentality. The tech tree doesn't make much sense. Humans didn't have to choose between having planes, a man in space, a piece of metal in space or doing science in space. I'm considering just getting a ....-ton of mods.

KSP seems to be have a "bigger is better" mentality. The tech tree doesn't make much sense. Humans didn't have to choose between having planes, a man in space, a piece of metal in space or doing science in space. I'm considering just getting a ....-ton of mods.

Ksp is not very realistic.

If you are a realistic person, get realism overhaul and a tree loader tree.( a dev of realism overhaul is above you!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.