Kerbal Sound Overhaul Project

pizzaoverhead

Here is a nice recording of how the space actually "sounds" like... It's a bit strange though cause the mike is in the top and most of the time the rocket is going supersonic so probably 99% of the sound you hear during ascent is what is transmitted through the hull. But still it's nice to hear the crackling, stretching sounds through the rocket's hull xD.

Don't miss an epic landing sound =)

One question, does the sound pitch up in low air pressure or does it just diminish in volume?

EDIT: Found an answer, actually the PITCH DOESN'T CHANGE, just the volume.. Bell in vacuum experiment:

Edited by nothke

Here is a nice recording of how the space actually "sounds" like... It's a bit strange though cause the mike is in the top and most of the time the rocket is going supersonic so probably 99% of the sound you hear during ascent is what is transmitted through the hull. But still it's nice to hear the crackling, stretching sounds through the rocket's hull xD.

Don't miss an epic landing sound =)

One question, does the sound pitch up in low air pressure or does it just diminish in volume?

EDIT: Found an answer, actually the PITCH DOESN'T CHANGE, just the volume.. Bell in vacuum experiment:

Nice video! In answer to the question, neither the pitch nor the volume changes. As the density of a gas drops, the mean free path between its constituent molecules drops. This causes attenuation of higher frequencies, as on average their motion doesn't travel far enough to collide with another particle to transmit the sound. At sea level, sounds of a few gigahertz are attenuated at a few metres. At higher altitudes, the highest frequency sound drops lower and lower until there aren't enough particles to transfer any sound.

This is what Atmospheric Sound Enhancement models, though it uses a hard cut-off (low-pass filter) for frequencies, whereas in reality there would still be a small amount of the higher frequencies remaining. The reason for this is that although the average path between molecules is too far to transmit the higher frequencies, the minimum path is not. Some molecules happen to be near others. ASE doesn't model this as it's hard on the CPU.

sound-waves1.PNG

Edited by pizzaoverhead

Nice video! In answer to the question, neither the pitch nor the volume changes. As the density of a gas drops, the mean free path between its constituent molecules drops. This causes attenuation of higher frequencies, as on average their motion doesn't travel far enough to collide with another particle to transmit the sound. At sea level, sounds of a few gigahertz are attenuated at a few metres. At higher altitudes, the highest frequency sound drops lower and lower until there aren't enough particles to transfer any sound.

This is what Atmospheric Sound Enhancement models, though it uses a hard cut-off (low-pass filter) for frequencies, whereas in reality there would still be a small amount of the higher frequencies remaining. The reason for this is that although the average path between molecules is too far to transmit the higher frequencies, the minimum path is not. Some molecules happen to be near others. ASE doesn't model this as it's hard on the CPU.

Ha! Very interesting and logical, thanks for the very good explanation. So basically, the sound just doesn't travel "far" enough and finally disappears when there are no molecules to transmit to. Well except to the hull and the cabin air if there is any =)

Here's a more difficult question.. How would putting a mike in the exhaust of the working rocket engine sound in space? xD I am sure players (me) would put the camera inside the exhaust and wonder.. What.. Nothing??

Good question! I hadn't thought of that one before! You would hear it, as there would be hot gas molecules hitting the microphone at high-speed. It would likely sound different, and fade off quickly as you move away from the engine as the exhaust gasses are expanded due to the low pressure. In vacuum conditions, rockets don't have a flame like shown in KSP, the gases spread out quickly and act as particles rather than billowing smoke as they do when they interact with an atmosphere.

MVac_Dragon_Cargo_640.jpg

Artist's impression of the SpaceX Falcon 9 upper stage firing.

487091main_thrust_test_226.jpg

NASA Robotic Lunar Lander thruster test under vacuum conditions (click for full-res).

Now that the modders have full access to the KSP particle system and the part tools needed to make new particles, I expect someone to create the expansion effect when in vacuum.

For an idea of what it may sound like, check out the video taken from one of the Shuttle boosters. At some points during descent you can hear it facing into it's own exhaust gases and debris blown back towards it.

Now that the modders have full access to the KSP particle system and the part tools needed to make new particles, I expect someone to create the expansion effect when in vacuum.

Strangely enough, I have tried that. In the current particle system we can add different effects and place them where we want such as seen on the rapier, but we still can't export actual new particle systems with new textures and we are waiting for new part tools to arrive (though Majir's plugin can do that). For now we can only officially use stock systems.

There's a few things I have in plan to do:

But I am no plugin maker, I just like particles xD so I would need help I guess

EDIT: OH WHAT!!! NEW PART TOOLS ARE OUT!!!!! WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME?? Ok... lets get down to work

Edited by nothke

Strangely enough, I have tried that. In the current particle system we can add different effects and place them where we want such as seen on the rapier, but we still can't export actual new particle systems with new textures and we are waiting for new part tools to arrive (though Majir's plugin can do that). For now we can only officially use stock systems.

There's a few things I have in plan to do:

But I am no plugin maker, I just like particles xD so I would need help I guess

EDIT: OH WHAT!!! NEW PART TOOLS ARE OUT!!!!! WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME?? Ok... lets get down to work

Yes, they were released here on Wendesday. Good luck, I look forward to seeing what you make with them!

Great thread! As a hobbyist sound designer (and music producer), I'm currently experimenting a lot with rocketry-related sound effects. KSP has a great potential for some really immersive sounds. If anyone needs help with sound design and effects, let me know! I would love to help out.

• 3 weeks later...
That's on the plan, but I think Firespitter does some of this already.

Firespitter does allow custom engine sounds, but it's geared to aircraft engines (go figure). I checked out adding gear toggle sounds for Firespitter (and B9 by extension), but the requisite module is not public in the code, so I can't access it properly. I've got the code for stock gear to make sounds when toggled, just have no good sounds to use. I have not checked tire sounds on touchdown, but I think that can be done.

Firespitter does allow custom engine sounds, but it's geared to aircraft engines (go figure). I checked out adding gear toggle sounds for Firespitter (and B9 by extension), but the requisite module is not public in the code, so I can't access it properly. I've got the code for stock gear to make sounds when toggled, just have no good sounds to use. I have not checked tire sounds on touchdown, but I think that can be done.

The Rover Wheel Sounds mod also has landing gear deployment sounds, but aren't of a high-enough quality. Tyre sounds can be done, again it's lack of sounds that are the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked this in the "Help-a-modder" thread, but figured to ask here too, since it's about sound.

I'm trying to figure out how to use a FloatCurve for volume/pitch adjustments. So, throttle at 30% = pitch at .5 kind of things. I can't just use the ModuleEnginesFX module because I want multiple sounds at a time, which doesn't work with the EFFECT{} nodes (or at least I couldn't get them to work).

So, I have a curve in a .cfg file like this:

volumeCurve
{
key = 0.0 0.3
key = 1.0 1.0
}

I've got the KSPField set up and then called within OnUpdate() in the module code like this:

[KSPField(isPersistent = false)]
public FloatCurve volumeCurve;
audioGroup.audio.volume = GameSettings.SHIP_VOLUME * volumeCurve.Evaluate(currentThrust/maxThrust);

That doesn't work. If I set a range from say 0.3 to 1.0 using Mathf.Lerp() then the volume works. Currently, the volumeCurve.Evaluate() is returning 0 all the time, thereby muting my sound.

I checked out ferram's code for his FAR mod, and he uses it similarly, as far as I can tell. I'm sure it's something silly, since I'm still getting the hang of C#.

Any ideas on this one?

EDIT: Ah, well, I realized that I could get this to work with the EFFECT{} nodes. Just didn't set them up properly. Now I just need to figure out how to stop looping audio on command.

Edited by Raptor831

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.