ODIN Orbital Kinetic Bombardment Weapon (point at the ground and shoot)

iDan122

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering, could I cfg hack an inline RCS tank so that it explodes like Lazor guided missiles on impact? While I think that ODINs in ksp are cool, their rods lack much of the oomph they should have, do to how parts and explosions work.

This was definitely inspired by the absurd COD:G mission. Heck, you even got the bad orbital physics right! (Aim at the ground, not retrograde)

Eh. For an orbital bombardment satellite, you'd actually WANT to point at the ground and fire-Higher velocity means more damage.

Eh. For an orbital bombardment satellite, you'd actually WANT to point at the ground and fire-Higher velocity means more damage.
Not so much. Since you'd be firing directly at the atmosphere in a perpendicular fashion, you'd require more dV in order to even de-orbit. A higher amount of push from the satellite means that you'd likely reorient the satellite just by pushing the giant rod.

The rod's propulsion system is used briefly for deorbit, and after that it's unnecessary. As for terminal guidance, the rods have small fins and a computer in the back for control. However, as you say, re-entry heating was a problem for the non-tungsten components and the ionized air around the vehicle essentially blinds any on-board sensors.

If you're in a high orbit, it would require less delta v to deorbit, and you'd get more speed on the way down. And once the thing goes, it just goes: the fins allow for some aerodynamic stability. It requires virtually no guidance once in free fall.

• 1 month later...

Love this beast, a friend and I were discussing the usage of KEW's and such if KSP ever went multiplayer. He's been building almost nothing but cruise missile style, and I mentioned I'd rather have KEW's. I'm linking this to him now.

The only thing I have against it, from what I've read, you've only got a few shots and then you'd have to launch a whole new satellite to re-arm. Now I'm no expert, I only just started playing KSP about 10 days ago, and still have trouble leaving Kerbin SOI to land on Mun/Minmus. But, assuming you keep the majority of the satellite, would a docking port in your firing port/muzzle work as a manner to reload?

Idea would be to setup a tug, or other such craft that could rendezvous with the ODIN, precisely track around, and carefully nudge your new "clip" into the satellite mounted docking port. After that, your decouplers and thrusters would still fire properly. If setup correctly, and an appropiate tug (which could be left hanging around on the satellite's service docking port), could carry extra reloads so you can fire off your satellite's local load, and you have the reloads already there instead of waiting to orbit up another clip. Ideally you'd include the clip(s) as sub assemblies, and possibly a super tug that's designed specifically for loading said clips.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.