[WIP Plugin](0.90) Burn Together! Alpha v7.0 (3/29/15)

BahamutoD

I believe they are from his mod for interplanetary launchpads. HERE

they are... those were the parts I deleted because I thought "don´t need extra tanks"... oh how wrong have I been :-)

thx mate

Yes! This plugin is getting better and better :D

Next up, Warp Drives and uh... bug fixing.

I did some testing with warp drives when I got the actiongroup mimmicry to work, and the follower's would not activate their warp engines when the leader did. It might be a problem with the warp drive mod... It might not work on crafts that aren't in focus.

This issue also came up with the B9 VTOL engines; the unfocused crafts would not toggle the engine rotation. If I send the command to the follower while focused on the leader, nothing happens to the follower until I switch to it.

For bug fixing, some bug reports would help!

Well time for a Lathe invasion.

You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.

Dammit!

EDIT: You said staging doesn't work? If so I hope that's next in line.

Edited by Spartwo

Hotfix!

Changes in alpha v5.1:

-timewarp lock occurs only if followers are within 0.1m/s of leader (so you can't fly a probe at 4km/s by a space station, activate the module, and pull the whole station away with you)

-fixed loss of followers during high timewarp

I hope those fixes hold up. Let me know!

You said staging doesn't work? If so I hope that's next in line.

The thing with staging is it's kinda weird and unreliable the way it works.. (How many times have you hit space and either nothing, or something unexpected happens?)

Also its kind of confusing how the game decides whats on the next stage on vessels you aren't focused on. Might be a while before I figure it out, or at least figure out how remote staging in the Klockheed Martian smart part works.

I managed to take a pretty standard pair of fighters, the other completely slaved (no touching) on a swing around the island base and back to land at the runway. The follower lost his engine on landing but otherwise got home safely. My issue was that the follower kept losing altitude no matter what I did, and refused to keep up. I had to do a correction about halfway through the flight because he managed to drift about 600m lower in altitude, and the denser air made him drag slowly behind. After the correction I managed to land him by guessing his altitude and trying to mimic what I should do as the leader (managed to stall him in the process).

There's gotta be a way to have the follower mimic altitude. I can get Mechjeb to lock it in (using Spaceplane Guidance), but that limits maneuvers a bit as it also forces a vector heading.

On sortie #2 I switched over to the follower to land it and left the leader on autopilot. He almost got away while I was applying the breaks, but I managed to switch back just in time. A workaround for that (but probably just as much programming work) would be to have holding pattern autopilot where a craft could be set to maintain altitude in a lazy circle while you futzed with the wingman.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the mechjeb steering code so I can borrow or alter it to make the followers steer more robustly. I also have some ideas for getting followers to pitch up a bit if they are losing altitude... In time, I hope things will be much better.

It only works while viewing the active leader or followers, unfortunately, but now that you mention it, I have some ideas on making it work when you're not looking. I'll add it to the todo list.

Ahh, i remember seeing this mod, long time ago, now it seems you made it way better! Have to actually test this, last time i tested i was trying to put a plane on top of another plane and trying to fly in formation, it didn't worked out lol

Now that i see you made it so that spacecraft don't drift away, i'll have to test a multiple landing mission on the Mun, and then a multiple parachute landing on Kerbin :D

For the heavy follower stuffs...

What about setting SAS heading when thruster not firing..

use your own when thruster is?

PS: A temporary solution.. not sure whether anyone else suggested it before.. i'm sorry if someone did..

*gazes into Krystal Ball* I see... Boosters! No, wait! I see formations for fighter jets flying together!!

EDIT: wow, how did I predict this?? And I also thought "EnterElysium should see this and use it"

Turing 4.1

function bang_bang_control_dynamic_damped (angle_target, angle_current, angular_vel, angular_accel, spd_modifier, damp_coe : real) : real
var d : real := angle_target - angle_current % displacement
var vd : real := 0.0 % virtual displacement
var desired_rate_of_rotate := 0.0
% d = (v2^2 - v1^2) / 2 a
%var d_to_stop := (0 - angular_vel ** 2) / 2 * angular_accel
var d_to_stop := (angular_vel ** 2) / (2 * angular_accel) * damp_coe
if (d < 0) then
d_to_stop *= -1
end if
if (d < 0) then
vd := min (d - d_to_stop, 0)
elsif (d > 0) then
vd := max (d - d_to_stop, 0)
end if
desired_rate_of_rotate := spd_modifier * (vd)

put "d: ", d
put "d - d_to_stop: ", d - d_to_stop * damp_coe
put "d_to_stop: ", d_to_stop
put "angular_vel: ", angular_vel
put "angular_accel: ", angular_accel
put "desired_rate_of_rotate: ", desired_rate_of_rotate

result desired_rate_of_rotate
end bang_bang_control_dynamic_damped

I'm not exactly sure how to make the steering better, nor knows how to make a plugin for KSP..

But I find this algorithm (?... I don't even know what I'm doing..) can actually move something to some point quite precisely without much wobbling.. (well, only tested on 2D plane, but sphere is just a spherical 2D plane isn't it? ignoring the rolling axis)

If you got wobble, tune the damp coefficient and speed modifier to make it less wobble, speed mod 1.0 damp 1.2 works for me.

Tested acceleration range from 0.01 - 10, works well. Note: Single threaded; 2D only; May break if async.

However, I believe if used in KSP, vessel might become somewhat bumpy (due to fluctuating desired rate of rotate)..

If such behaviour occurs...

I recommend create an additional formula that adjust the damp coefficient and speed modifier base on different factors for optimal steering; and to smooth out the fluctuating values...

PS: You can take this code and do whatever you want with it. If you credit me and I will be happy, or if you don't.... Well... I'm sure I can live with that...

Edited by 8749236
optional damp coe

• 3 weeks later...

After many tries, i accomplished to take off and reach orbit with 3 planes in a single flight.

What i was not expecting was to make a successfull landing with the 3 SSTOs at first try.

Full flight video bellow. Enjoy.

What i would like to see in future updates: formations :)

Edited by _leela

After many tries, i accomplished to take off and reach orbit with 3 planes in a single flight.

What i was not expecting was to make a successfull landing with the 3 SSTOs at first try.

Full flight video bellow. Enjoy.

What i would like to see in future updates: formations :)

To make a successful landing is not hard..

You only needs two things:

1. HUGE Flat grounds..

2. Consistent negative rate of climb throughout landing...

1 is not hard.. 2... nah... too dam hard!

but if you can make it, even if the planes are at different heights.. they will eventually land on the ground safe and sound.. all thanks to the consistent rate of descend..