[WIP Plugin](0.90) Burn Together! Alpha v7.0 (3/29/15)

BahamutoD

It would be good to have a toolbar for this, and some other functions. Like "Create Formation", and "Choose Formation" ( just several patterns of ship placement around leader ).

Rover support would be AWESOME, to have ability of creating auto-trains. Its like this - leader has a marker on it's rear side, follower has an optical tracking device (laser of some sort). In practice this would mean that follower will copy leaders movements, but with preset delay. Leader has constant contol on that delay

I agree, those would be very useful functions.

Would you consider making this mod partless, and adding the right click options to already existing parts like all the probe cores, or, following Cpt. Kipard's suggestion, the antennas?

This is a mod I'd love to use, but I've learned to strongly dislike having to install custom parts on my ships for mod functionality that doesn't really need them. The reason being that should I decide to uninstall such a mod at some point in the future - be it for compatibility reasons, me just not needing it anymore, or (in the case of larger mods) saving RAM - all crafts I used it on will get deleted from my save. The only way to work around that is manually editing the part out of the save file before removing the mod; but that's an arduous task, especially given the fact this mod exists for the purpose of piloting entire fleets of many ships.

The mod has no lasting effect on crafts, so I see no reason for crafts that used it once to be permanently bound to it. They should still work fine without it.

Starfish, all you really need to do in that case is use a module manager .cfg file that adds the BurnTogether module to all command pods, and remove or don't install the special part - just have the plugin.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[BurnTogether]]:FINAL
MODULE
{
name = BurnTogether
}

That should do the job (Untested though).

It could be because the BurnTogether module looks for an animation in the part model (for the indicator light). I'll have to make it handle models with no animation. This should be in the next update.

The video of the airplanes flying together was very nice. Would have worked better had the pilot not tried to buzz the buildings. ;-) Reminded me of that old Sega color vector game TAC-SCAN which had a formation of multiple ships.

Just out of interest, what do you think will be added to this mod? As in, what will the next few updates contain (besides bug fixes obviously) It's a great mod atm, and I was just wondering where is was going

Those are expanding containers from my EL parts pack.

Just out of interest, what do you think will be added to this mod? As in, what will the next few updates contain (besides bug fixes obviously) It's a great mod atm, and I was just wondering where is was going

Not too much more; after adding the option to lock followers in formation through timewarp, and improving steering if possible, I'll have pretty much accomplished what I set out to do. Anything else will be icing on the cake, like rover followers.

That being said,

Update:

Did a bit of work on rover support today.

I'll work on a few other things then release an update.

Edited by BahamutoD

Update! Alpha v5:

Changes:

-added some rudimentary rover support

-ships lock in position during timewarp

(new) Warping: During on-rails timewarp, followers will be locked in relative position with the leader (no more drifting away).

Known issue: Sometimes, when transitioning out of a planet's SOI, the BT module gets turned off for some reason and the followers drift away. For now, try not to warp too fast through SOI transitions.

Once I figure it out, I'll have it automatically reduce warp to a safe speed right before a transition.

Edit: It appears that it occurs randomly at high warp whether or not you're transitioning to another SOI...

(new) Rovers: Landed vehicles will now use wheel throttle and steering to follow leaders. (Only tested with stock parts so far).

Also included an MM config if you don't want the extra part:

1. Install ModuleManager

2. Extract the included zip file called "BTforCommandModules.zip"

3. Delete the parts folder.

Edited by BahamutoD