How to make Steam run 64 bit.

LadyAthena

I noticed today Steam doesn't run KSP in the 64 bit. Running it through the folders, also doesn't make steam recognize it.

How to make Steam run 64 bit Windows version of KSP.

If you're running steam,

1) right click KSP go to properties, and on the local files tab click Browse Local Files

Here you'll notice 2 new things. a KSP_x64_.exe and a KSP_Data_x64 folder.

2) Delete KSP.EXE and KSP_Data folder

3) Rename KSP_x64_.exe to KSP.exe

4) Rename the KSP_Data_x64 folder to KSP_Data

Wala... Steam will now recognize, and start the 64 bit version of KSP automatically.

Is there a better way? I often verify the integrity of game cache and sometimes a number of files is updated, which is useful.

I've checked it out. Steam runs the 32-bit version. I've launched it using the Launcher, previously turning on 64-bit option, and it works, but FPS seems to drop. The movement isn't smooth. I've even turned on AMD compatibility option.

Edited by lajoswinkler

Is there a better way? I often verify the integrity of game cache and sometimes a number of files is updated, which is useful.

Games -> Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library -> Browse -> *navigate to KSP_x64.exe* -> Add Selected Programs

You now have both x86 and x64 KSP in your Steam library.

Or, if you really want to change the files, just rename the x86 versions. Then when you want it back, you just undo the rename.

1. Properties -> General -> Set Launch Options...

2. type in the following: "the path of KSP_x64.exe" %command%

ex: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64.exe" %command%

3. run KSP as usuall

4. enjoy your 64 bit KSP!

5. ???

6. PROFIT!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
1. Properties -> General -> Set Launch Options...

2. type in the following:"the path of KSP_x64.exe" %command%

ex: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64.exe" %command%

3. run KSP as usuall

4. enjoy your 64 bit KSP!

5. ???

6. PROFIT!!!!!!!

Unfortunately every time I try this I get an error that Windows can't find Kerbal. Then I realized I have to put the quotation marks in and it worked like a charm after that. I'm so used to only copying the part between the quotation mark.

• 9 months later...

Im trying to change steam KSP to 32 bit because i think that it is in 64 bit automatically since my right click problem to get into the reaction wheel menu doesnt work on mods(B9 Aerospace). So i want to change it to 32 bit, but i dont know how, someone help?

• 10 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.