[1.7.3] Exploration Rover System by A.S.E.T. v0.3 (04.08.19)

alexustas

When wheels are folded, rover fits perfectly into 3.75 KWRocketry fairing.

That's not what I mean. I'd like a module that could land the rover and deploy it. The fairing just isn't enough to make a lander, you know.

That said, I've just noticed you posted a screenshot in the KONQUEST thread with this rover in the module's cargobay. So I suppose you've got that covered, too.

- - - Updated - - -

When wheels are folded, rover fits perfectly into 3.75 KWRocketry fairing.

That's not what I mean. I'd like a module that could land the rover and deploy it. The fairing just isn't enough to make a lander, you know.

That said, I've just noticed you posted a screenshot in the KONQUEST thread with this rover in the module's cargobay. So I suppose you've got that covered, too.

I disable the transparent cockpit in the part cfg? .

If you want to disable transparnt cockpit just delete this lines

//---Transparent Cabine Glass	---------------------------------------------------------------

MODULE
{
name = JSITransparentPod
transparentTransforms = CabineGlassBottomLeftSide|CabineGlassBottomRightSide|CabineGlassCentre|CabineGlassLefSide|CabineGlassLeftSide|CabineGlassLowCenter|CabineGlassLowRightSide|CabineGlassRightSide|CabineGlassTop
}

in command module config.

But keep in mind that it can break some props in IVA.

Yeah, I figured that out. There seems to be however a bit of a glitch going on with specifically the crew cabin module.

If two rovers are docked together and one has the crew cabin, the docking ports will fail to undock when commanded to. I also had this happen a few times post docking.

nwpNSGwl.png

The IVA should be at the front of the rover.

I've tested it many times with and without a crew cabin. These bad symptoms always happen with the crew cabin installed.

e: I should mention all the dependencies are up to date.

Hi, all I have right now is this:

YWj3HBal.png. Between the two rover sections is a pair of FusTek IABCM 1.25 docking nodes. Something else of note is that "control from here" seems to end up on it's side as the navball shows the horizon being vertical.

I have tried the stock clamp-o-trons and also the original Fusty common berthing mechanisms to the same effect.

I tried this out a bit last night. I must say, it LOOKS fantastic, even though the textures aren't quite done. :) But I also have a frame rate problem with the transparent windows module, so that can go easily enough from my configs. :)

The main thing, though, is that I've become spoiled by Lo-Fi's Kerbal Foundries wheels. Compared to those, these are... well, awful, actually. Sorry, I mean no offense, but I call it like I see it.

The main problem I have is the (almost) complete lack of suspension. And how fiddly they are to get placed and oriented correctly. And the fact that they don't automatically steer properly, the rear steering has to be manually reversed... eh, anyway, I could go on, but there's no reason. The problem, in my opinion, is that it's Firespitter wheel code, which basically means that it's landing gear oriented, instead of rover oriented code. I like Firespitter for a lot of things, but not for wheels.

So, like I said, this is just one guy's opinion. But unless I can figure out if I can apply Lo-Fi's wheel module to these wheels, I shan't be using this rover pack, sorry. :(

It's too bad, I was really looking forward to this, too.

Later. :)

I don't have any issue with the wheels I quite like them and I have been testing it in all kinds of Kerbin environments it doesn't take to long to set them up, however I do have a question for Alex is it possible to add suspension travel like in the landing legs so you can adjust the amount of damper in them or because its a wheel it has different limitations, it might be a cool feature to have if its possible. On a high note I havent had so much fun with Rovers since the DEMV's from Bobcat thankyou for creating this really enjoying it.

Once you've experienced lo-fi's individual-wheel suspensions and anti-roll systems, as well as the variable turning rates based on wheel positions and the crawler steering... well, any other wheel no matter how cool looking will ever compete.

But unless I can figure out if I can apply Lo-Fi's wheel module to these wheels, I shan't be using this rover pack, sorry. k_sad.gif

Good news, you are not forced to use the wheels that come with this package. Last night I connected a set of lo-fi's wheels to this thing and they worked like a charm. Unfortunately, lo-fi's wheel module requires the wheel to be configured in unity in a different way than the stock wheel format so unless you can get ahold of the source units files, you probably won't be making anything happen with these wheels anytime soon. I intend to suggest to lo-fi that we attempt to make a wheel-mount that could apply his suspension to a stock wheel attached to an intermediary part that would handle the suspension and steering. The stock wheel could then have it's own steering locked and let the intermediary part turn the entire part to respond to the steering controls. Should be doable, in theory.

Edited by Gaalidas

I have a request for a part that could help transporting the rover.

It would require adding an attachment node onto the cargo module of the rover. But this part would be surface attached, and will have a node offset for the rover body to attach to. This way you can surface attach this new part to the floor of a cargo hold or lander chassis, and then decouple it to allow the rover to disembark from the lander/cargo hold.

An idea would be to model some ratchet tie down straps that would disappear after that node is decoupled.

If this is unclear, I can model it late tonight.

The deployment of a rover was done most of times with rover being hooked to the top (or sides) via winches or some other structural parts. Regardless wheels position. Like a landing system for a martian rovers.

The deployment of a rover was done most of times with rover being hooked to the top (or sides) via winches or some other structural parts.

Got some examples besides Mars science laboratory?

How about these then?

Lunokhod, Mars pathfinder, mars exploration rover

Awesome to see the first release !

Downloaded, now I've to find time to test it :) I'm considering it as rover instead of ones from two other mods for a large mission on Duna (a huge expedition with a flotilla ranging from 14 to 20 ships)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.