Jeb's RC Saturn V- a fully functional mini Apollo probe mission

Hi all,

So, Jeb was given a really cool scale replica of an Apollo lander for Khristmas this year.

2nrg588.jpg

He was rightly chuffed to bits with this awesome gift. Alas after a while he grew bored of just looking at it and hatched a plan to do something cool with it.

He decided to make a Radio controlled Saturn V to send it to the Mun! So he retro fitted an Ion engine that he 'borrowed' from the VAB and slapped on a couple of solar panels.

After this he painstakingly hand crafted the Saturn V complete with correct staging, retro and ullage motors, a CSM, an interstage ring and a working payload faring.

fyfq4w.png

66l17p.png

Jeb is rightly proud of his creation and took some photos of his fantastical Mun mission for you.

Here he is in the control room before lift off:

2lmmcev.jpg

And Lift off!

2ib1cop.jpg

Center engine cuts off first

fnebrn.jpg

First stage and interstage separation

21r9lw.jpg

Second stage firing green across the board

10sb4i1.jpg

Second stage retros firing

1he4nd.jpg

Fairings jettisoned and CSM turned and docked pulls the lander free

345lutg.jpg

Mun descent

156vbqp.jpg

Success!

2aa0yz9.jpg

Now, you are free to leave the lander probe on the Mun and use its many DVs to explore the surface more. Or you can fly the Lander back to the CSM and bring it back home to Jeb. The lander has a built in parachute.

2wd9jch.jpg

Jeb removed some xenon from the lander as it had too much DV but you can put it all back and fly to many different Mun locations before bringing it back home.

So there it is. Phew, finally.

Jeb had a bit of trouble with the fairing, he rebuilt it many times.. It now releases cleanly if not a little fast. But its a clean release so he's happy.

The rocket itself is very easy to fly. Head up, turn at around 200m/s to 45 degrees, stage when required and aim for a 100,000km orbit or there about. The third stage circularizes and then shoots you to the Mun to crash into it along with the fairing, leaving this a debris free mission. Action group 1 stages the escape tower. Abort will blast the lander free along with the CSM.

Just make sure you land during the day so the Ions have enough juice. Happy flying!

MJ

DOWNLOAD

Edited by Majorjim

You know, you could try to make the mini Apollo Rover to go with it, actually, no, wait, it would probably be nearly impossible.

Actually, how about a mini LK prototype? I have a design i made myself because of inspiration. But i think it is a little too big on the part count(65), and that its a bit big for a mini, probably as tall if not taller than a kerbal.

You know, you could try to make the mini Apollo Rover to go with it, actually, no, wait, it would probably be nearly impossible.

Actually, how about a mini LK prototype? I have a design i made myself because of inspiration. But i think it is a little too big on the part count(65 for the lander), and that its a bit big for a mini, probably as tall if not taller than a kerbal.

I have thought about making an N-1 to go with it or maybe a teeny tiny skylab. Not sure yet.

This lander is a little taller than a Kerbal so yours would be perfect in size me thinks.

I have thought about making an N-1 to go with it or maybe a teeny tiny skylab. Not sure yet.

This lander is a little taller than a Kerbal so yours would be perfect in size me thinks.

Here is my concept in a picture

lkrzdrW.png

With a little built-in feature

AVYmluq.png

I imagine that it is a bit taller than the Apollo Lander, ironically.

You see, Patnydustries built this as a gift for Kenny Kerman(Jeb's Rival) for supplying RTGs and being one of the most sucessful pilots, Rivaling Jeb.

Here is my concept in a picture

http://i.imgur.com/lkrzdrW.png

With a little built-in feature

http://i.imgur.com/AVYmluq.png

I imagine that it is a bit taller than the Apollo Lander, ironically.

Ok, cool! It is taller than my lander but its because yours is two stage. I tried to make this one two stage but its too small and I didn't want to make it bigger.

Have a go at a rocket for yours man.

Ok, cool! It is taller than my lander but its because yours is two stage. I tried to make this one two stage but its too small and I didn't want to make it bigger.

Have a go at a rocket for yours man.

Well, if i tried to recreate the N1 itself, it would be a rather massive part burner, would probably have more parts than the RC Saturn V of yours.

And besides there are about five variants of the N1, and im not that much of an experienced builder so, would probably take a while, if i could possibly do it.

This is great, its so detailed yet so small. Its got to be one of the best spacecraft I have ever seen. If I may ask what is the part count? I would give you some rep but it appears you have made so many cool things that I need to spread it around first. Thanks for showing us this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.