KSP crashes after a few reverts or launches

i have 24 GB of ram. the game starts at about 3-3.5GB with all my mods (i have 55 mods installed) and from there  slowly increased 100MB at a time until I'm at around 10GB (i've gotten it up to 12GB). it can take an hour it can take 2, depends on how many times i switch screens. then i start getting unresponsive mouse clicking issues and the risk of crash goes up a lot. i usually restart at that point, just out of fear of crashing mid flight.

The point i'm making is: 

regardless of how many terabytes of ram you have or plan on buying, you will run out eventually.  

i can't see how this is intended and i consider it a fault in the product.

the game should not have a time limit where it is playable. (although it has probably saved my pets from starving a few times, lol)

What concerns me more than anything, is the fact that after countless threads, rage quits, rants, and hypothesis' about the issue that ram is not freed from screen changes, i have not heard anything from Squad acknowledging it, or hearing any hope it will be addressed.

Edited by crparris

I have the same issues with OOM after a few times switching to VAB or SPH on a win10 16G RAM PC.

I play Realism overhaul with 70mods installed

My playable solution:

- Clean Install

- install the mods u (really) need via ckan, i focused on functionality not pimping graphics and so on

- install (via ckan) mem monitor or sth like that to watch your mem usage during game

-give active texture management (ckan) a try

-start Ksp.exe with -force-opengl -popupwindow

So, when i start the game my mem usage is at approx 2,7G

Every now and then it increases (VAB, Planet switching...)

When i reach the 3,4G... i restart the game for security reasons...

And yes i am serious, i did not found any other solution until now (without changing my OS).

I tried a lot and played several hundreds of hours... trying to colonize Mars ;-)

- I wish there could be sth. like mem cleaner to empty the unused/misfunctioning mem cache

P.S. The Graphic settings in Game (resolution, shader and so on) did not have any significant impact on mem usage, only on FPS...

If you are seemingly crashing, ONLY because of the memory leaks of compounding screen changes, might I suggest installing a couple of Malah's Quick™ mods... QuickGoTo, and QuickExit seem to help me prolong the play time between freezes or crashes, by cutting down the number of screen changes to get from one screen to another, or to actually exit the game:

Malah's Quick mods

Granted, this is NOT a fix, and results may vary, but it SEEMS to have helped MY games.... At least it hasnt seemed to make anything worse, either...lol

Edited by Stone Blue

On 01.02.2016. at 10:07 PM, crparris said:

the game should not have a time limit where it is playable. (although it has probably saved my pets from starving a few times, lol)

What concerns me more than anything, is the fact that after countless threads, rage quits, rants, and hypothesis' about the issue that ram is not freed from screen changes, i have not heard anything from Squad acknowledging it, or hearing any hope it will be addressed.

At least your pets will not starve and have positive effect on your health too - you should walk away from computer in occasions :)

Anyway, Squad have acknowledged it, unfortunately problem is within unity game engine itself and it can't be completely solved from Squad side.
At the time of game release it was not a good choice to switch to different game engine, so while stock game work just fine due to enough free RAM, it was not a case with heavy moded games.

Fortunately, if you read dev notes, memory leaks as well as 64bit version of game were solved by switching to new version of unity game engine. Just be patient a bit longer for next release and following weeks after that until most of your favorite mods were updated to latest release.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.