• Opt-in Prerelease for 1.1!

Ted

KSP_logo_full.png.99743e7d63a15357cde91d

Hi all,

As I'm sure many of you read, 1.1 is to enter Experimentals this week! It's a significant update to KSP in terms of just how much has changed under the hood. We've done a complete overhaul of the user interface from a conglomerate of interface systems to Unity 5's native system. Aside from that, an entirely new system for the wheels had to be adopted due to the major changes Unity made to the native wheels system, and the list goes on!

Quality Assurance is the most bare bone part of the entire testing process and is performed by around five to ten QA testers pretty much constantly. The focussed testing and efficiency mean that instead of going through the motions of the game as a normal player would, QA tends to identify areas of the new content that would usually be prone to issue and hunt for bugs there. This cuts down the time taken to find issues by a significant margin and means that the content is tested more evenly – playtesting can sometimes skip completely past some aspects of a feature. Furthermore, this method allows the testers to work closely with the developers and compare exactly what they intended to occur for specific cases, to what actually occurs – this is where QA becomes more about feedback.

QA is a lot more than just finding bugs. It’s about having the knowledge of the game (especially how it works under-the-hood), the comprehension of the ideas behind the features in the game, the understanding of what a developer wants the feature to turn out like and how you can assist them in making it happen. Furthermore, it’s about condensing all of that into concise and objectively written issue reports.

The QA process on 1.1 has been going for a long time, but it has been incredibly fruitful: crushing 516 issues in 107 builds! There is still more to do however, in Experimentals we hope to only increase the stability of the game, add polish to areas and carry out some bug fixing as always!

The Experimental Team comprises about 100 testers. All of these testers are volunteers who contribute their spare time to playtest the game. They are normal players, sourced from the various communities via a simple application process. Often and understandably they don’t have as much spare time to devote to testing as the QA Testers and thus there are significantly more Experimental Testers ‘signed up’ than we need at any one time. This works in everyone’s favour as it keeps the activity level throughout an Experimental Phase and doesn’t put pressure on the testers while they also deal with their personal and professional lives.

After we have an update go through QA, as detailed above, it is hopefully free from major issues and each feature has had any needed major improvements and refinements carried out; the update is in a feature-complete state. However, many components of a feature may still be unpolished, such as part balancing, or the performance of newer UI on different platforms. This is where Experimental Testing comes in and assists the developers in cleaning up the remaining feedback issues.

An Experimental Testing phase typically lasts around a couple of weeks, though it is highly dependent on the number of issues that arise and how much further development is required to reach a release state. At the end of the Experimental phase, there are still a fair amount of issues on the tracker that are still open, but it’s important to note that these issues are typically minor ones, ones that aren’t in the scope of the update or simply issues that would take too much time and resources to resolve.

This time around though, things will get even more interesting after Experimental testing! Given that update 1.1 will be unlike any update we’ve seen to date in terms of widespread changes to pretty much any significant and underlying system in the game we're planning to provide an optional pre-release branch of update 1.1. This opt-in branch will run for just under two full weeks before the targeted release date of the final update.

The nature and extent of the changes in the update mean that many plugins and add-ons will require refactoring, updating and at the very least a recompile. Of course modders cannot do this overnight and on the flick of a switch, especially with an update of this scope. Typically a select group of particularly KSP-savvy modders would be given access to the new update to help us find bugs, but the extent of the changes this time around is such that we feel we should open it up to everyone.

The pre-release branch will be opt-in via Steam only, and won't be available via the KSP Store. We really wanted to make the pre-release branch available on all distribution channels but given the frequency of builds, the size of those builds, and the necessity for everyone to be on the latest version for testing it proved to be impossible to facilitate this on the KSP store.

To facilitate discussions of the pre-release branch we’ll be opening up a temporary forum for feedback. Additionally, a separate section will be made available on the bug tracker to report bugs on.

Please feel free to ask any and all questions you have!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

1 hour ago, sal_vager said:

Sorry BrutalRIP, but as you joined up after KSP was released on Steam I assume you bought KSP after the cut-off.

You've had three years of fun in KSP so far, that's hardly being "ripped off".

Yeah in hindsite i was a bit harsh,i should have said left out,missed the date to transfer to steam by 1 month ;.;

A excellent, though overdue, idea! Thanks for listening to everyone who asked for it. :) I used to manage a QA team, and ten people can't possibly do thorough testing on such a complex app, even disregarding a trillion possible combinations of mods!

Distributing it Steam-only is kinda backwards, leaving out the most experienced players like me who bought KSP long before it was available on Steam. But the logistics are what they are, so I won't give you crap over it.

Since I'll be missing out, all you Steam people please do a thorough job, and thank you!

Would love to test but I bought in the store and while I did buy early enough I do not want steam more than I do want to test 1.1 early.

I`m more of a mod type guy anyway so if the mod makers get a chance to update their mods before actual release that suits me fine.

20 minutes ago, Nathair said:

I've got Steam KSP access, put me down in the "How do I get in on this?" column!

3 minutes ago, 9t3ndo said:

Is it accessible already? Is this way correct?: Steam Libary > rightklick KSP > settigs > Beta tab?

It's not ready yet, however it will be ready soon. There will very likely be another announcement to say when you can start dragging beta versions down, if you're brave enough.

Congrats, Squad folk! It's been a long, hard slog to get here, and it must feel awesome that the end is finally in sight.

On the one hand, I like that I'll get a chance to make sure plugin code that I've contributed to will be closer to working when the release finally drops. On the other hand, if the 13 pages of responses here are any indication, I'm sorry this experiment didn't pan out.

6 minutes ago, technicalfool said:

It's not ready yet, however it will be ready soon. There will very likely be another announcement to say when you can start dragging beta versions down, if you're brave enough.

%99 sure everyone here wants to test 1.1 lol

Having always looked at the Kerbal community as one of the best, friendliest places on the internet, one that I have always recommended to people, I really can't believe the way some of the people in this thread are acting.

Nobody has ever had the RIGHT to experimentals. Since the start, as far as I know, Squad has always controlled who gets them. This group tended to be folk like the KSP Media Group, the KSPTV People, modders they trust, and probably other sorts of trusted individuals like forum moderators. Never has anyone been ENTITLED to the development versions of the game, past what they pushed out to the public while they were in Early Access.

As explained before, the logistics of the situation make it hard for Squad to push the experimental updates through their own store, given how frequently they will be patching it over those two weeks. With Steam, all that is handled for them; they just have to push the version to Steam when it's patched, and the system there will handle distribution and automatically update the game for everyone opted in to that program.

I understand the reasons it might seem unfair, but given how buggy the RELEASED versions are, the ones you and I get to play no matter what, I highly doubt the pre-releases will be remotely spotless.

I also realize nothing I'm saying is new, and I'm just repeating what I've seen many people say in this thread. It's not really adding anything except my personal opinion, one of disappointment with what I'm seeing. And I'm sure I'm not the only one disappointed with how everyone is taking this; I'll be surprised if Squad ever try to do something like this ever again.

I'm considering just signing out of the forums during the pre-releases. I want 1.1 to be a surprise. It won't be the same as if they'd actually released it to everyone at once but it'll be pretty close. 

Note that I completely and totally understand why Squad can't give pre-releases to the store users, which includes me.

2 minutes ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

I'm considering just signing out of the forums during the pre-releases. I want 1.1 to be a surprise. It won't be the same as if they'd actually released it to everyone at once but it'll be pretty close. 

Note that I completely and totally understand why Squad can't give pre-releases to the store users, which includes me.

As I understand it, they intend to have a separate subforum for 1.1 prerelease discussion, and will probably try to confine it to there.

17 minutes ago, aWildLupiDragon said:

Having always looked at the Kerbal community as one of the best, friendliest places on the internet, one that I have always recommended to people, I really can't believe the way some of the people in this thread are acting.

Nobody has ever had the RIGHT to experimentals. Since the start, as far as I know, Squad has always controlled who gets them. This group tended to be folk like the KSP Media Group, the KSPTV People, modders they trust, and probably other sorts of trusted individuals like forum moderators. Never has anyone been ENTITLED to the development versions of the game, past what they pushed out to the public while they were in Early Access.

As explained before, the logistics of the situation make it hard for Squad to push the experimental updates through their own store, given how frequently they will be patching it over those two weeks. With Steam, all that is handled for them; they just have to push the version to Steam when it's patched, and the system there will handle distribution and automatically update the game for everyone opted in to that program.

I understand the reasons it might seem unfair, but given how buggy the RELEASED versions are, the ones you and I get to play no matter what, I highly doubt the pre-releases will be remotely spotless.

I also realize nothing I'm saying is new, and I'm just repeating what I've seen many people say in this thread. It's not really adding anything except my personal opinion, one of disappointment with what I'm seeing. And I'm sure I'm not the only one disappointed with how everyone is taking this; I'll be surprised if Squad ever try to do something like this ever again.

Your people are yelling at us thinking we're entitled, but you aren't either. Sure, you have it on steam, but you aren't part of the development team either. And spoiler alert, this is still going to be quite stable after months of QA and experimentalls, and I personally don't mind a few bugs

and also, we don't win. If this wasn't here, the game would have been released two weeks earlier, we get the same slightly buggier version you have the option of, some people wait for mods, they release a couple hot fixes, and it's fine. Here, we could keep everyone happy or even happier if they at least just provided a non updating pre release on the store. And I know I'm not part of the development team but neither are you so shush.

12 minutes ago, nosirrbro said:

If this wasn't here, the game would have been released two weeks earlier, we get the same slightly buggier version you have the option of, some people wait for mods, they release a couple hot fixes, and it's fine.

No. It would take much longer. This is experimentals. It's not "oh yeah let's let these guys play around with it before we release it." It's "we need help finding bugs before we release it." If they didn't do this, you'd see two options:

1) It would release at whatever the internal release date was anyway, full of bugs. Everybody moans a'la 1.0.

2) They take much longer to fix and find bugs, the game stays in experimentals much longer, it delays release by an unspecified amount of time.

Does it suck? Sure, and if the boot was on the other foot I would be disappointed, but I would move on. The reasons given are good ones, and I'd get 1.1 a little earlier than I would have otherwise.

Edit: relevant post by Kasper:

Edited by severedsolo

9 minutes ago, nosirrbro said:

a non updating pre release on the store

The idea of the pre-release is to use it for finding and fixing bugs, having a single unchanging build goes completely against that since any bugs found on that build could've been fixed on later ones, thus rendering any reports from anyone using that build out of date and useless. Either every build over the full two week period goes on the store, or none of them do.

Edited by hoojiwana

4 minutes ago, nosirrbro said:

Here, we could keep everyone happy or even happier if they at least just provided a non updating pre release on the store. 

They'd still have to pay for the hosting that will get used when 1.1 drops. Their servers cannot handle hosting updates alone.

Just now, nosirrbro said:

Your people are yelling at us thinking we're entitled, but you aren't either. Sure, you have it on steam, but you aren't part of the development team either. And spoiler alert, this is still going to be quite stable after months of QA and experimentalls, and I personally don't mind a few bugs

and also, we don't win. If this wasn't here, the game would have been released two weeks earlier, we get the same slightly buggier version you have the option of, some people wait for mods, they release a couple hot fixes, and it's fine. Here, we could keep everyone happy or even happier if they at least just provided a non updating pre release on the store. And I know I'm not part of the development team but neither are you so shush.

I'd like to point out that I never mentioned where I had the game. Not that it matters.

It's not like the stock game is bug free, for example:
    If a fairing bit sticks to your craft when you decouple it, you almost always get a bug where the game thinks your craft is landed.
    If you use a fairing at all, your rocket may spin out because the body lift vector on it is entirely screwed.
    The game crashes on scene change.
    Sometimes it just well and truly breaks, giving you a screen you can't do anything with, and all the gauges on the UI read absolute nonsense and are even blank sometimes. You usually have to force quit the game because the escape menu doesn't even work.
    "Cannot deploy while stowed" in situations where it doesn't remotely apply.

This pre-release is out because they need people to seriously test the game. A non-updating pre-release would do absolutely nothing toward that goal. This isn't minecraft, it's not out for the lols, or because they can. The bugs listed above are just a handful of what I regularly encounter in the released game. The pre-release is intended to scrub out as much as possible, or else it would be much much worse, as much as you don't want to believe that.

3 minutes ago, aWildLupiDragon said:

The pre-release is intended to scrub out as much as possible, or else it would be much much worse, as much as you don't want to believe that.

Our (store users) logic is:

Steam users = extension of the experimentals team

Store users = for teh lolz

Only problem is "teh lolz" would cost an enormous amount of money for very little benefit.

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

This is now closed for further comments