Stayputnik Control Problems in .90

This is really giving me a headache. So as I was working my way through my first game of .90 I unlocked my first probe core and received a contract for a historic satellite launch. I tried and tried to fly the thing to orbit with out an SAS system. Man it was hard. I mean really hard. I finally just gave up.

Are there any hints out there as to how to fly a mission like this? I'm stumped. What can you really do with this core?

So I kind of like the idea of it not having it's own gyro. I did have one on this attempt by the way. I can't imagine what it would have been like with out that. The total lack of an SAS just killed me. As an alternative let me make a suggestion. What if the SAS on the Stayputnik core could not communicate with a gyro, but it could operate the controls on the engine and the aerodynamic surfaces. I mean even the V-2 could point it self along a trajectory and hold a heading with the engine running or with wind over the fins. The Sputnik may not have had reaction wheels but I don't think they could have ever launched it with out any form of guidance.

Am I missing any tricks or is any one else frustrated with this?

Lee

The issue you are having is not uncommon, however, might I suggest that you add more control authority? also, instead of doing your normal pitch over at 10km (assuming stock aero) pitch over just a little and let gravity do the rest.it's more inefficient, but you will get to orbit.

Spin stabilisation. You won't be able to manouvre much (so get pitched over a bit in the right direction before too much spin builds up), but you can hold direction easily.

Either give it some torque and mash the Q or E key the whole way up, or add some tailfins with a bit of angle to them (like the feathers on a dart or arrow).

Try it, it works; it's what they did with early real-world rockets, and it's how rifle bullets work.

Also note that holding prograde is easy while you're running with boosters on the tail second, due to their higher drag coefficient. Of course, if you have parachutes near the nose, the instant you lose those boosters you're going to have a fair bit of trouble since they're ALSO higher-drag parts (though not to the same extent).

It has its uses, but sofar ive found the thing to be more pain then bother. Personally i wouldnt have made it have no SAS, since it has now become a probe core that i never even bother using for anything at all besides space mines (little things that shoot decouplers in all directions, dont need sas for those after they are deployed from a carrier). Even in career, when i did my 1st sat contract early game, i used a manned thing to get teh satelite up there, then deorbited kerbal for extra science/xp

Some of this has been good advice and I thank you but I'm still having trouble. The spin thing does help particularly during the initial boost through the atmosphere. Along with fins it keeps me on the prograde vector so if I get it tilted over just right, more luck then I would like, I can do a gravity turn during the initial launch. I can't seem to get it to work for the orbital burn. With out the atmosphere I still can't keep it on a direction. I may just not be getting it in a stable enough spin Or maybe the physics model doesn't allow for this but eventually it tumbles as I try to do that insertion.

I think the changes to this part have just been a failure.

Lee

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.