Random Crash to DT. May be Karbonite plugin or support mod

I've started trying out mods and right after installing Karbonite, I started getting crashes to desktop, every few minutes. It seemed to be one of the support mods that it required, but I'm not sure. Removed it and tried again a few days latter with a fresh DL. It seemed to be ok, but tonight after a few hours in game while using a plane on the ground on Kerban N of KSC, it started crashing again. It crashes with in a couple minutes every time. The plane does have a couple of Karbonite parts on it.

Here are 7 crash report folders:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ef5rpyki4wox5nk/Vorg%20KSP%20Crash.zip?dl=0

Totally insufficient information here to even remotely troubleshoot this.

(Edit)

How much RAM is KSP using? Are you using the 64 or 32 bit client? etc.

Also - usual question. Did you try a clean KSP install and use process of elimination?

Edited by RoverDude

Sorry, I though that information was in the logs. win7 x64 running 32bit version of KSP and 16Gb installed. The Error log from the newest folder in that zip:

Unity Player [version: Unity 4.5.5f1_7684ad0c5a44]

KSP.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

in module KSP.exe at 0023:00c20963.

Error occurred at 2015-03-02_014548.

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe, run by Vorgon.

38% memory in use.

0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].

0 MB paging file [0 MB free].

0 MB user address space [110 MB free].

Write to location 00000000 caused an access violation.

I was hoping there was something in the log file that would at least point to which mod was causing the problem. But I couldn't find it.

Last night I removed science alert mod which I think was the last nod added and was added after Karbonite. But I had played for several hours over a couple of days with it.

I just went into the game to the plane that i've been trying to fly home and windows reports 3,483,184kb used by ksp.exe. Looks like I have to run out again :(. So will have to do any more testing latter tonight. Would prefer to find the source of the problem over just wiping the game, starting, and hoping that fixes it.

You're at memory cap. You can only address about 3.5 GB for KSP, the other 12.5 GB can be used by windows and other programs, but not KSP.

You have too many mods installed. Karbonite is probably the mod that pushed you over the top. You probably need to use -force-openGL (how to do this is all over the forums), Active Texture Management, DDS4Win & DDSLoader, and/or TextureReplacer (which also has some memory management fixes). One of these might do it, or you might need to use all 3. Personally I'm using -force-openGL and TextureReplacer.

Textures are the main thing that eats up memory fast. RoverDude's mods are pretty extensive but really efficient for all you get out of them. Some modders use textures that are way too large. You can reduce their size by half and have no visual hit (this is part of what ATM does, and you can have DDS4WIN do)

Mods like ScienceAlert don't use much memory because they are mostly doing calculations and telling the engine to do things (unless there is a memory leak, I use that one myself and there isn't one there I can tell).

Parts mods are usually the memory eaters.

Edited by helaeon

I wondered if it was memory cap, but I didn't think I had that many part mods compaired to what some do. I do have texture size set to full. Mod list:

BoxSat vA.02d.zip

Chatterer_v0.8.1.zip

CRP_0.3.3.zip

CTNsnacks.zip

DockingPortAlignment_4.0.zip

Karbonite_0.5.5.zip

KAS_0.4.10.zip

KerbalAlarmClock_3.2.3.0.zip

KerbalEngineer-1.0.15.2.zip

KSP-AVC-1.1.5.0.zip

MapResourceOverlay.0.2.9.zip

MechJeb2-2.4.2.0.zip

ModuleManager-2.5.10.zip

NavBallDockingAlignmentIndicator.zip

PreciseNode-1.1.2.zip

RCSBuildAid_v0.6.1.zip

Regolith_0.1.7.zip

SCANsat_v9rc4.1.zip

Snacks.v0.3.3alpha.zip

SnacksPartsByWhyren.zip

StageRecovery_1.5.3.zip

Toolbar-1.7.8.zip

Trajectories-1.1.3.zip

TransferWindowPlanner_1.2.3.0.zip

UniversalStorage_1.0.90.2.zip

WaypointManager_2.1.4.zip

It's the 3,483,184kb being used by KSP and the log you posted showing zero memory available (though that can happen other ways).

So, one of those mods might have a memory leak because you're right there aren't a lot of part mods there. Though the DX9 mode seems to be pretty memory inefficient.

Maybe try -force-opengl?

Scansat 9 not 10? That might be causing problems if you're on the current Karbonite. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80369-0-90-SCANsat-v10-0-Real-Scanning-Real-Science-at-Warp-Speed!-Jan-29

Edited by helaeon

Don't know about Scansat or any other mods being up to date. I I depend on AVC to monitor that. I know it only list 15 mods when there are 26ish.

Would be nice if something along the lines of AVC was made stock to help with keeping mods in line and up to date. The other updater based on Debian design seems to complex. I mess with linux for my VDR and it can be a real pain getting the dependencies right. Sometimes it will require something that isn't required for the modules you use and have to manually edit files to get it to build.

Updated Scansat which had zero effect on memory usage. Saw a lot of talk about problems with using Ogl, getting stuck in window mode, no shadows, etc., so tried just changing the texture setting to 1/2 first which reduced memory usage by nearly a gig. So now to find more time to play for awhile and see if that solved it..

Edited by Vorg

DX9 for me behaves fairly poorly.

in my steam launcher options I use -force-opengl -popupwindow

That way it goes into borderless window mode and no problems. Looks different than DX9 but uses way way less memory. Shadow problems are with DX11.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.