Root Part? How does it work?

Every craft has a root part. All other parts are connected in a tree configuration to that original part.

The re-root gizmo allows the user to change the root part of the vessel.

Additionally, the tool can change the root part of an unconnected subassembly. This allows the user to alter the way an unconnected group of parts will attach to the craft under construction.

Hope this helps.

Happy landings!

Its best used when making sub assemblies. Build your subassembly as normal, but before saving it set your root part to be the part you attach by. Saves lots of headache later. It may be messing up your part placement because you have boosters attached, and because of the tree nature of the editor if you set the root part as a booster (accidentally I assume) it has the potential to screw up the design.

Everyone explained what it is, but not how to use is, so here goes:

1) Select root tool (click icon or use hotkey 4)

2) Click on a part right next to your new root (some parts seem to bug out sometimes and can't be selected... try saving and reloading the craft)

3) Click on your new root

4) ????

5) PROFIT

Everyone explained what it is, but not how to use is, so here goes:

1) Select root tool (click icon or use hotkey 4)

2) Click on a part right next to your new root (some parts seem to bug out sometimes and can't be selected... try saving and reloading the craft)

3) Click on your new root

4) ????

5) PROFIT

Step 2 is not entirely true. You can select the same part twice, you just have to move your mouse off of that part first.

Additionally, the tool can change the root part of an unconnected subassembly. This allows the user to alter the way an unconnected group of parts will attach to the craft under construction.

How does that work? I tried to do that once, but it didn't allow me to choose the unconnected assembly (that I dragged aside to float transparently in the VAB). I could only change the root part of the actual craft. It would be very useful if it worked.

How does that work? I tried to do that once, but it didn't allow me to choose the unconnected assembly

That's a good point. I thought I knew how it worked, but when I tried it just now I got the message 'No other valid parts to attach by in the current selection'.

I'm not sure, but I thought I had seen it demonstrated once. Hmmm, maybe there's some other condition that must be met.

I'm puzzled. I tried for a few minutes in both VAB and SPH and couldn't get it to work.

Hopefully, somebody will come along with more info.

Happy landings!

I'm not sure that's relevant to this thread, but I'm sometime stuck with some craft I can't do.

I've a multipart payload (for example 2 ships linked by decoupler or docking rings). When I want to switch top and bottom ships, the desconnected part has only 1 node to attach to. So I can only attache upside down.

So I usually have to dismantel one ship piece by piece...

Is it the way, or do I miss someting ?

Has anyone else noticed how surface-attached parts seem to re-attach to other parts when re-rooting? This is especially frustrating for symmetry parts where one part is suddenly connected to a new part and the other symmetrical parts are not.

No idea. It is a tad superfoulus in my experience.

It's one of those hush-hush marketing contracts Maxmaps has been hinting at. Squad has signed a joint marketing agreement with one of the big mouse clicker manufacturers and as part of the deal, they have to deliver a minimum number of clicks from their user base.

I never understood the tool, exactly. All it does is seem to screw up the placement of my items whenever I try to build something. Just how exactly do you use the tool and what is it good for?

Why didn't you asked Maxmaps?:https://youtu.be/wd5uVMLGmuA?t=1m16s

If it requires internal knowledge to use a tool in the editor, I'd say Squad did something wrong.

No. You absolutely don't need to know the inner workings of the code to use the tool.

Your question, however, was not asking how to use the tool, but how the tool works, which are two very different things.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.