Devnote Tuesdays: The Late Edition

SQUAD

This. Combined with a possibly smaller than 22km physics bubble, it would enable more mission profiles without activating physics for every piece of debris within 22km of the launch pad. Or perhaps there could be some other way of designating a craft as "always loaded." A small, massless part? A tweak in the VAB?

Again: It doesn't work that way. The distance at which things are loaded is no longer statically limited to a single value. They don't just blindly bump the distance up to 22.5km, it's situational now. Vessels are loaded (or not loaded) based on situation.

Again: It doesn't work that way. The distance at which things are loaded is no longer statically limited to a single value. They don't just blindly bump the distance up to 22.5km, it's situational now. Vessels are loaded (or not loaded) based on situation.

So that way if I launch new modules to the ground base on Duna, I could have the cluster of modules all stay loaded as long as I stay within 22.5 km or so, but the modules on the ground will not load until I get closer because there is no reason to load them?

So that way if I launch new modules to the ground base on Duna, I could have the cluster of modules all stay loaded as long as I stay within 22.5 km or so...

Only so long as they were in the air or in a sub-orbital trajectory. So, if they were on a trajectory from Kerbin to Duna then only one would load at a time, if they were more than 2.5km from each other. If, however, it was a Duna-to-Duna suborbital hop, then yes, they would all stay loaded until they all crashed.

So that way if I launch new modules to the ground base on Duna, I could have the cluster of modules all stay loaded as long as I stay within 22.5 km or so, but the modules on the ground will not load until I get closer because there is no reason to load them?

Physics bubble range is determined by a vessel's state (landing, orbit, atmosphere,______). It seems like only the atmosphere value is 22.5km now, so landed vessels will still be restricted to 2.5km physics loading.

However, the changing of the way the physics loading is handled may mean it is more easily modded.

Hm this physics bubble thing makes me thing of strap a probe core and parachute to my booster launch my rocket seperate the booster and have a refund for it after it landed sucsessfull... (I hope this works with the new physics bubble, fingers crossed...)

Hm this physics bubble thing makes me thing of strap a probe core and parachute to my booster launch my rocket seperate the booster and have a refund for it after it landed sucsessfull... (I hope this works with the new physics bubble, fingers crossed...)

There's a mod that does this as of now, it is called Stage Recovery: http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/223119-stagerecovery

If you want something more dynamic, ie. to do SpaceX style booster landings, there is also FMRS. http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/220566-fmrs-v0-3-02

On my part, what I'm still waiting for is for multiple physics spheres at the same time but I'm not holding my breath on this one... :P

...On my part, what I'm still waiting for is for multiple physics spheres at the same time but I'm not holding my breath on this one... :P

I would think they eventually have to come to terms with handling such things if they want to do multiplayer.

On my part, what I'm still waiting for is for multiple physics spheres at the same time but I'm not holding my breath on this one... :P

That doesn't seem likely. Multiple bubbles would mean multiple vessels being under physics simulation simultaneously which is just asking for computers to melt (that is unless I misunderstand what you mean by this)

I would think they eventually have to come to terms with handling such things if they want to do multiplayer.

Not really, multiplayer each physics bubble is locally hosted, only positions need updating. There's still only a single bubble per player (how they handle synching two players in the same physics region will be a little interesting, but thats about it)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.