The Lurker rises from the depths

Grunnt

Hello everyone! I've been lurking quietly in the shadowy corners of these formers but I can no longer hide.

Lately I've been having some troubles while designing SSTO's. I managed to get one to space, which then promptly and spectacularly desintegrated upon returning to Kerbin. Anyways, maybe I'll try to get some help later.

Wonderful community here!

Hello Grunnt, and welcome in from the shadows.

It is a wonderful community and very helpful, too. SSTO spaceplanes are quite difficult to create in the stock game right now.

With the new aerodynamics coming in 1.0, which releases on Monday, we will all have to relearn how to fly.

Happy landings!

Hello Grunnt, and welcome in from the shadows.

It is a wonderful community and very helpful, too. SSTO spaceplanes are quite difficult to create in the stock game right now.

With the new aerodynamics coming in 1.0, which releases on Monday, we will all have to relearn how to fly.

Happy landings!

Oh, boy, it's closer than it seems, huh? Re-learning two years of experience is just four days away...

Welcome, Grunnt!

Welcome to the Forums!

Look, even I'm rising from the shadows and welcoming all sorts of new people... Maybe it's just because I want to spam my signature, which has a handy link to my YouTube channel - which may, in turn, lead to more subscribers involved community participants!

Or it could be that I like talking about the math and stuff and being part of this awesome community myself.

I'll leave it to you to decide what my true motivation is...

At any rate SSTOs are rough. And - they are (probably) totally changing come Monday.

^^ or it could be a #shamelessplug

OP: Welcome! Try MOAR BOOSTERS!

Oh, it could certainly be #shamelessplug. It could also be #insertaltruisticreasonforgreetinghere =D

I will say this for 0.90 aero and SSTOs: Generally simpler designs work out better - and it comes down to how you fly it. I was stuck for ages on a design that I knew should have no problem, turns out I was flying it wrong. I tried to climb too shallow, costing me time and fuel against the atmosphere. Instead I climbed at a constant 20degrees until the engines automatically cut over to rocket mode - and immediately went to 45degrees above horizon to get an Apoapsis.

Edited by EtherDragon

Welcome to the forums! :)

You mentioned having some trouble with designing SSTOs. Perhaps you could share some screenshots of your design in the VAB and "in action"? I'm sure our resident experts might be able to diagnose the most likely causes of the issue and recommend a few fixes if they had a good view of the craft. Feel free to also take a look at some of the resources listed in the Drawing Board, which is conveniently linked in my signature; there's a fair bit of material about SSTO and spaceplane design, among other topics.

Hope this helps!