Saitek X-55 throttle and stick: KSP considers both the same joystick

It's a problem I had since I bought this Joystick:

Pro-Flight-X-55-Rhino-for-PC-01.jpg

game version: v1.0.0.830 in windows 7 64bits.

clean install of KSP.

The joystick consist of 2 separated parts, each of them with his own USB cable and independent between them. In fact, windows recognises 2 different devices, as seen here:

Q2QIDfr.jpg

The problem is that, when I'm binding the axis, KSP thinks they are the same device, mixing the inputs..., so one of them is useless. This happened before (in 0.90), but I dodged the problems using the Advanced Fly By Wire mod, that worked perfectly since the start.

This is how the config file looks like: (ignore the fact that they are both controlling the pitch, it was just a test to map the same axis from both devices)

AXIS_PITCH
{
PRIMARY
{
name = Saitek Pro Flight X-55 R. (MADE USING THE STICK)
axis = 1
inv = False
sensitivity = 1
deadzone = 0.05
scale = 1
group = 0
modeMask = 7
}
SECONDARY
{
name = Saitek Pro Flight X-55 R. (MADE USING THE THROTTLE)
axis = 1
inv = False
sensitivity = 1
deadzone = 0.05
scale = 1
group = 0
modeMask = 7
}

Also, on input devices only one is shown:

INPUT_DEVICES

{
Saitek Pro Flight X-55 R. = 0
}

The joystick gives correct values in windows, and works in games like DCS and War Thunder, being recognised instantly without anything else to do.

I used some workarounds before, with virtual joysticks, but I think it's not the way to go in a 1.0 release!

Thanks in advance for the time and help :-)

edit: Also, I get about 1 second lag from the inputs -.-. This was a known issue back in previous versions, apparently between Saitek software and Unity. Anyway, must be doable to fix, considering it was fixed perfectly by a mod in previous versions (Advanced Fly By Wire mod).

Edited by m1sz

I'd like to add my voice to this one. There's obviously a way to do it, since Advanced Fly by Wire made it work.

That's exactly my concern!!!!, it's a internet known problem with unity games and saitek software..., but saitek joysticks happens to be one of the most advanced and complete joystick for simulators, and despite the problems, one single guy managed to fix it perfectly with a mod, that also, lets you change control settings midflight, have different profiles, and many more easy-to-use features!

Yep. My Saitek X52 is all but worthless in KSP (input lag, difficulty programming functions) without the Advanced Fly By Wire mod, and using the joystick is a major part of my enjoyment in KSP.

Please Squad, buy the Advanced Fly By Wire mod from its author and integrate it into the game. He's done a brilliant job with it.

Disclosure: I am in no way related or friends with the author of Advanced Fly By Wire and hold no financial interest in the mod.

I have this same issue. I'm guessing it's because it truncates the stick name. There is another issue with configuration as well, if you remove the joystick and try to assign another one, the control assign interface will freeze up. You either have to manually edit the old stick out of your configuration, or delete the whole thing. To add into some of what others are saying, being able to edit your controls while IN-GAME would be, should be, a feature as well. It's a huge nuisance to have to back up all the way to the main menu to make a button change, it should AT LEAST be available from the space center.

I also have the same issue, as it isn't just a particular set of the Saitek family. My Cyborg-X has tendencies to lag behind and have some 'stutter' on inputs when used for KSP. Controls seem abnormally behind my input with current KSP. Unfortunately, even the AFBW was unable to assist me as it did not support the Windows 8.1 OS with all sticks and would only register a gamepad I owned.

Mind you, using the joystick in any other game has prompt response times and windows reports full use of the joystick and immediate updates when testing.

forum user (and old kerbanaut) Taniwha is working to fix Advanced Fly by Wire mod, which pretty much should solve all the issues (it did in previous versions).

Here's the forum thread of the mod. ATM there's a working linux version it seems ^^

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/95022-0-90-AFBW-v1-5-1-%28Joystick-controller-mod-we-re-back%21%29?p=1901187&viewfull=1#post1901187

This affects the build on OSX as well. It looks like it's storing the mappings based on joystick name, and then truncating the name.

On OSX, the X-55 identifies these as "Madcatz Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino Stick" and "Madcatz Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino Throttle", both of which get truncated to "Madcatz Saitek Pro Fligh." in the game / settings.cfg

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issues with my X-55. I would really appreciate some official support to fix this since as many of you say, this is a released game, not a beta version as months ago. Don't get me wrong, developers have been working very well so far, but saitek users need some love too :3

Same here with CH flight stick and throttle. Would love to see some fixes for all the bugs that keep piling up.

Strangely i had no such issues with 0.90. But it could be that i changed something in my configuration.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I went as far as changing the registry name, the inf file so it shows up in device manager as something else, and KSP still insists on using the same name as the joystick. I think it picks from the driver which I can't change, a binary file... I was going to blame Unity, but Simple Planes seems to use Unity, now, and doesn't have this problem. It sees my X-55 parts simply as 'Joy1' 'Joy2' 'Joy3' when I map it, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Yup, we tried that as well and came to the same conclusion, that it's taking the name from the driver.

I've since tried vJoy and Universal Joystick Remapper with some success but now even more problems:

- KSP now sees both the original joystick and the vJoy joystick so can't decide which one to use for the assignment. Luckily if you push hard enough, the vJoy instance wins...lame but works

- UJR can only support a single POV hat, the X-55 has something like 6. I've tried using multiple vJoy virtual joysticks but Windows ends up also listing those two as the same joystick, so back to the same problem

- I'm working with the vJoy forum to see if we can come up with any solutions

And finally, COME ONE SQUAD!! Help us out here!!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.