dear squad, about the duna signal....

should squad create more sstv signals on other planets and create a mystery for us to solve?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. should squad create more sstv signals on other planets and create a mystery for us to solve?

I think when the time is right, when the bug squashing and feature implementing is coming to a close, do something great with that signal, put us on the hunt, put us on the scent of a great mystery, a quest to find out who put that signal there and why, or put more cryptic signals about the system, leading us to an answer that very well may have to be speculated towards as there may not be a firm answer, maybe even put an unmarked derelict satellite around a planet that once docked to gives us more clues, but in any case, put us on a greater adventure than we could ever imagine, that is my one request squad

What is the Duna signal?
its an easter egg in duna's northern hemisphere that originates from a pyramid, and when you translate it to an image it creates quite a spooky image, look it up on google "duna sstv signal image" or something along those lines

I am all for adding things to investigate and discover in KSP. Especially if the clues are subtle, and not practically handed to you in game-That is, the game doesn't prompt you to investigate, and solving clues it might take some comparing photos, and writing in a notepad.

The thing I didn't like about Nova's original concept, is that seeking out the relics, and/or whatever made them could have become the focus of the game. Games about seeking out aliens/precursor civilisations can be great fun, Extrasolar even has a science/discovery system kerbal could learn a few things from, but Kerbal should be about space exploration.

Plus, finding a lot of obvious structures out there can sort of spoil the feel of being the first to reach those places.

Though, it would be cool as an extra thing. What would be even cooler, would be if there was some element that varied each time, so the clues wouldn't lead to the same place each time. Prevent anyone who talks about how it works from completely spoiling it.

Edited by Tw1

Yes, yes, yes... More mysteries, more discoveries, more artifacts! Not only on Duna - everywhere.... and make them appear in different spots every game so that their locations are unknown each time.

And there must be some use from these... at least they should give some science.

More stuff to do. Intriguing signals and artifacts eventually leading to some form of 'final easter egg' which only appears after you have been to the earlier ones in the chain.

I'd like that.

After seeing the feedback on this it makes me smile to see others would actually be on board for this, but like Tw1 said, I agree that it can't be announced, there can not be a guide or a tutorial or anything, they shouldn't even mention it besides saying "keep your eyes and ears open" otherwise that would defeat the purpose of genuine exploration and genuine discovery, it would distract you from the main focus of the game, its like in star trek TNG when Q was about to drop the ultimate spoiler of the universe itself and stopped, looked him dead in the eye and said "you'll find out" that's how it has to be, no spoilers, no tips, no hints, just start looking, and maybe hand us some stock planet mapping and telescope parts to help us peer further into these mysteries

Anyone remember the game ´heart of africa´ (dan(ielle) bunton (RIP, iirc), 1985)? You had to find the tomb of an ancient king in africa going through cryptic clues given to you on your travels through the unknown (it plays 1890-95) continent by tribal chiefs - and it would be located somewhere else, each game. Like that.

While im all for it, id love for most of the current easter eggs to be fixed. there are many of them that are either only visible on a certain terrain setting (under/over ground on certain settings), or are just completely jammed underground (such as tylo's cave). the easter eggs at least for me make really nice spots to set up bases, and id love some of the larger ones to be fixed.

Then ofc theres the magic bounder that was form some dumb reason removed. Stuff like that shou;d have been left in, it was hard to find, get to, and probably one of the best accomplishments you could pull off.

that aside, im all for more cool unique locations to be added, stuff like say some underground caves (where rovers can drive into), ruins of leftover bases, rock formations, whatever.

If you've ever played the old DOS game Indiana Jones and the Secret of Atlantis, there's one way to randomize a quest. Each thing you had to find could be in one of several different places, all randomized when a new game was started.

I think this a cool idea although might be harder than we think to implement. Be a great modding project though if Squad do not take it up!

I'm reminded of the TV series "Defying Gravity" which was based on a similar premise - travelling the solar system collecting mysterious alien artificats. Actually quite liked that program but it ended up getting cancelled midway through its first season and the final episodes got pretty confusing as they attempted to squash too much of the story in in a short time.

I very much like the idea of more artifacts turning up around the solar system. ..I'd be much more keen to visit some of the outer bodies if there was another landmark to two on each of them for me to try to find.

I love the crashed-UFO in the polar ice of Kerbin. How about some more crashed ships round about? A Blake's 7 Liberator half-buried in the ground on Eve. A Babylon 5 Shadow Ship that's been half-excavated out of the ground on Duna. Think of that derelict Star Destroyer on the Star Wars trailer -- how awesome would it be to find something like that? You could even have something floating in the sea on Eve maybe. ..I'm just throwing ideas about. :)

I don't necessarily want the make the solar system feel like it's populated, but maybe that there were ancient beings that have visited here in the distant past. A few Easter Island, Teotihuacan Pyramid, Nazca Lines (even flattened-hilltops with Nazca 'runways'), scattered around the solar system to give the player a bit of an eerie moment. :) ..I would love to see one or two giant statues of creatures that are obviously not Kerbal in nature.

I don't think they should be placed randomly. They can be static, like the current ones. Will make it so much easier to incorporate them into the landscape properly. And players more interested in the finding than the hunting can just go to kerbal maps dot com to see where to look. (Even if you know the general vicinity, some of them are a bit of work to land nearby and find.)

I love joethebeast's idea of a derelict satellite or two about the place. And, while we're at it, a few small Kerbal settlements on Kerbin. That planet feels far to barren for a species that's achieved interplanetary flight. :)

It's funny, I've played like 1200 hours ad been all over all kinds of bodies, but I have yet to come across one of the Easter eggs. Apropos of that, I think that some of those exploration contracts should actually lead you to them! That and maybe there should be some kind of new scanner part that alerts you to the presence of anomalous surface features if you fly over them. The devs could really add a whole lot of depth to the game play experience by implementing more stuff along those lines. And of couse EVA reports at the Easter egg sites should give you science!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.