Rogue System.

gmpd2000

Think of an advanced flight simulator, where all buttons and switches are simulated (imagine DCS Level of detail).

Now, think of a correctly simulated and beautiful universe. (Think of Space Engine or Elite: Dangerous)

Combine these two and make a game that is set in space.

I think we got Rogue System.

About Rogue System:

Rogue System’s goal is to bring the classic space-combat sims into the modern era of gaming at a never-before-attempted level of control. It blends the capabilities and usability of modern games with the detail and fidelity of hardcore combat flight-sims. With a simulated science fiction setting, richly deep spaceship management, and intense combat, Rogue System satisfies both the casual gamer and the hardcore “simmer.â€Â

A gallery of images:

http://imagespaceinc.com/rogsys/p/images/

A video:

Docking video:

How the cockpit works:

What do you think, people of KSP?

Edited by gmpd2000

I think this project is really promising, and for me (Orbiter, KSP, DCS pilot) it will be pretty much dream come true. I don't really believe in super depth/realism of upcoming Star citizen, so this little gem is worth checking out. I hope this will be a hit.

Is this Real Physicsâ„¢ or ice rink physics though, the videos don't make that clear, it still looks awesome either way.

Real Physicsâ„¢ is being used in this game IIRC.

Edited by gmpd2000

• 3 weeks later...

Small note of warning: It requires a OpenGL 4 compatible 3D card. If you have an older machine you might want to check for compatibility. Also intel cards are not officially supported and known to cause issues right now.

(Because of this, I haven't been able to play it yet. Still glad I paid, even if it's just to support the awesome idea)

Recommended. As someone above stated though, check your specs before committing. Not a whole lot to do yet and some annoying bugs, but its only on its first public release with an update slated for the middle of next month.

Just found this last night after reading the Ars Technica article. Looks incredible and something I plan to dip a toe into, assuming my specs can handle it.

Longer term it's going to be interesting to see if all those buttons will translate into actual gameplay, over and above the frankly geekgasm startup sequence in Scott Manley's video. Even longer term, I'm not massively invested in the space combat side of things but if and when the planned exploration module (think DCS meets Elite: Dangerous), then that sounds like something I could spend many many hours in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A new Ars Technica article / interview

KSP reference! Quote:

Anyone who’s spent some time playing
â€â€
and if you haven’t, then shame on you, because it’s bloody greatâ€â€knows that orbital mechanics is bloody complicated. And Juliano has put in the programming time to make sure
Rogue System’
s orbital body simulation is real and functionalâ€â€the tutorials start out with your ship orbiting a planet that it’s actually orbiting.

"None of that is faked," confirmed Juliano. "It all works. I spent the last year and a half on those systems. The prototypeâ€â€it was faked orbits. The physics weren’t simulated… and the engine change facilitated that. Everything is fully simulated orbital mechanics."
Rogue System
aims to bound ahead of
KSP
in this area, too, because
Rogue System
’s orbital simulation supports up to three interacting masses (right now it’s locked to single-body simulation, just like
KSP
). This will make possible some complex in-system maneuversâ€â€like Hohmann transfers between planets and LaGrange point-based orbits. Juliano stressed that he hasn’t fully tested this yet, but the code supports it, and getting more celestial bodies into the game will eventually happen, assuming the simulation isn’t too CPU-taxing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If a realistic futuristic space simulator which could be described as a flight sim for space with proper orbital mechanics sounds appealing to you than go check out Rouge System. It's currently in very early access and you can get it for only $10 at the moment which doesn't grant access to the full release however if you do choose to upgrade you will be discounted how much you have already payed. It's basically been called the DCS worldof space.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.