[1.0.4] Historian (v1.1.1) - Dynamic Screenshot Captions [August 5th, 2015]

Zeenobit

I'd like to suggest a slight modification to the way the app launcher button behaves:

Right now, no matter which mouse button you click, it opens the Historian config UI.

I think it would be improved if one mouse button opened the UI just the way it is now, while clicking with the other would toggle the 'suppressed' state - this would reduce the number of required mouse clicks from three down to one for the one function I use the Historian UI the most, and even more importantly, mouse mileage (move top right, click to open UI -> move center, click to toggle state -> move top right, click to get rid of UI. Screenshot. Rinse and repeat).

Configuring the plugin is usually done only once initially, and IMO there's no need for the interface to get in the way after that.

Come to think of it, a configurable keyboard shortcut... maybe in the long run? ;)

Anyway, nice plugin.

Edited by Corax

I'd like to suggest a slight modification to the way the app launcher button behaves:

Right now, no matter which mouse button you click, it opens the Historian config UI.

I think it would be improved if one mouse button opened the UI just the way it is now, while clicking with the other would toggle the 'suppressed' state - this would reduce the number of required mouse clicks from three down to one for the one function I use the Historian UI the most, and even more importantly, mouse mileage (move top right, click to open UI -> move center, click to toggle state -> move top right, click to get rid of UI. Screenshot. Rinse and repeat).

Configuring the plugin is usually done only once initially, and IMO there's no need for the interface to get in the way after that.

Come to think of it, a configurable keyboard shortcut... maybe in the long run? ;)

Anyway, nice plugin.

A configurable shortcut is most probably the way to go. That's a good suggestion! :)

• 2 weeks later...

• Added option to Suppress Historian with the right mouse click on the Toolbar button (Only supported on Blizzy's Toolbar)

Thanks, good job!

Just as the last of the mods I 'need' finally got rid of that Toolbar dependency though... oh well, time to reinstall it again ;)

Thanks, good job!

Just as the last of the mods I 'need' finally got rid of that Toolbar dependency though... oh well, time to reinstall it again ;)

I was a bit disappointed too. There doesn't seem to be a way exposed to detect a right click on the stock launcher buttons. :(

A suggestion - what would be really neat is to be able to use a different logo than the one on the craft - in my mind's eye, the best reference I can think of is like a news channel logo...

This is really a great mod and would love to see you do others...

A suggestion - what would be really neat is to be able to use a different logo than the one on the craft - in my mind's eye, the best reference I can think of is like a news channel logo...

This is really a great mod and would love to see you do others...

You can already do this using the PICTURE element. Check the documentation for details. :)

In summary, you can create a block like this in your layout file:

PICTURE
{
Anchor = 0.0,0.0 Position = 0.02,0.05
Scale = 1,1
Texture = Squad/Flags/default
}

Simply put your image somewhere in a folder in the GameData directory and replace the path in `Texture` with your own.

I really like this mod, it makes it so much easier to annotate my screenshots so I can remember what on Kerbin was going on when I took them - although entering custom text during the more 'hectic' moments (especially landing) isn't really an option unless I set it up before hand (not a criticism, I can't see any way this could possibly be avoided).

I've been setting up my own custom layout and came across a couple of minor issues/omissions I'd like to point out:

1. Would it be possible to alter the <Crew> element to not include the situational text (e.g. Jebediah landed on Minmus), I'm already using custom situational text and the repetition is unneeded

2. Could you perhaps add a few more parameters in the vein of <Altitude> and <Speed> to cover Periapsis and Apoapsis (maybe inclination). I'd like to display situations like: "In a 100km x 98km orbit around Kerbin"

1. Would it be possible to alter the <Crew> element to not include the situational text (e.g. Jebediah landed on Minmus), I'm already using custom situational text and the repetition is unneeded

Actually looking at this myself in your Git repo, I think all you'd need to do is replace this section of Text.cs to add a new <Crew-> option that would exclude the situation text:

if (text.Contains("<Crew>") || text.Contains("<Crew->"))
{
var value = "";

if (vessel != null)
{
if (vessel.GetCrewCount() > 0)
{
value = string.Join(", ", vessel.GetVesselCrew().Select(item => item.name).ToArray());
}
else
{
if (vessel.isCommandable)
{
value = "Unmanned";
}
else
{
value = "N/A";
}
}
}

text = text.Replace("<Crew>", value + " " + Vessel.GetSituationString(vessel));
text = text.Replace("<Crew->", value);
}

• 2 weeks later...
I really like this mod, it makes it so much easier to annotate my screenshots so I can remember what on Kerbin was going on when I took them - although entering custom text during the more 'hectic' moments (especially landing) isn't really an option unless I set it up before hand (not a criticism, I can't see any way this could possibly be avoided).

I've been setting up my own custom layout and came across a couple of minor issues/omissions I'd like to point out:

2. Could you perhaps add a few more parameters in the vein of <Altitude> and <Speed> to cover Periapsis and Apoapsis (maybe inclination). I'd like to display situations like: "In a 100km x 98km orbit around Kerbin"

1. See below.

2. Yes! Maybe. Probably. Stand by for the next release when I get time (very busy these days)! :)

Actually looking at this myself in your Git repo, I think all you'd need to do is replace this section of Text.cs to add a new <Crew-> option that would exclude the situation text:

if (text.Contains("<Crew>") || text.Contains("<Crew->"))
{
var value = "";

if (vessel != null)
{
if (vessel.GetCrewCount() > 0)
{
value = string.Join(", ", vessel.GetVesselCrew().Select(item => item.name).ToArray());
}
else
{
if (vessel.isCommandable)
{
value = "Unmanned";
}
else
{
value = "N/A";
}
}
}

text = text.Replace("<Crew>", value + " " + Vessel.GetSituationString(vessel));
text = text.Replace("<Crew->", value);
}

Hrm. That's very strange. I'm not entirely sure why I put the "Vessel.GetSituationString(vessel)" part in there to begin with. This is what happens when I do anything at 3 AM. I'll fix this in the next release. <Crew> should not have any situation text on it.

Hi Zeenobit,

I just released a mod called Automated Screenshots

It's been suggested that I see if I can interface with mods like yours.

From what I understand, your mod doesn't actually do the screenshot, it just works with the screenshot code.

Do you intercept the F1 key, or do you do something else internally?

Please PM me if you want, it seems that our mods complement each other.

Thanks

LinuxGuruGamer

Zeenobit,

I've finished modifying my AutomatedScreenshots mod to be able to call your Historian mod.

It requires a slight modification to Historian.

Add the following function to the Historian.cs file:

public void set_m_Active()
{
m_Active = true;
}

When this is there Automatedscreenshots can tell it that a screenshot is about to be taken.

Also, if you could update the AssemblyInfo.cs file, and set the AssemblyVersion to:

[assembly: AssemblyFileVersion("1.0.1.0")]

It would make it easier for my mod to be sure the correct version is loaded and available.

Also, and this is getting a bit deeper, if you could come up with a way for me to tell you the situation, that would be useful as well.

Thanks

LinuxGuruGamer

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Hey linuxgurugamer,

That is an awesome mod you have there! Automatically hiding the UI for a screenshot is something I've been wanting to do for a while. :)

In regards to your suggestions and requests, I like them. Unfortunately though, I'm very busy in RL right now with no time for KSP. And I'm on a fresh PC as well, without KSP or any of modding tools. So it may be a while before I can release an update. If you're eager, feel free to make a pull request and implement your changes. I can later make a temporary release with your credit until I get things back in order.

Cheers!

Edit:

Also, in regards to your question about F1 key and Situations. Yes, I do intercept the F1 key. I didn't want to have the use use a different key for Historian screenshots, and I didn't want to perform a manual Unity capture because I wanted Historian to slide into the default flow of things. But I'm open to making this feature optional. As for Situations, I see no reason why a public API for overriding Historian parameters should not exist. :)

Hey linuxgurugamer,

That is an awesome mod you have there! Automatically hiding the UI for a screenshot is something I've been wanting to do for a while. :)

In regards to your suggestions and requests, I like them. Unfortunately though, I'm very busy in RL right now with no time for KSP. And I'm on a fresh PC as well, without KSP or any of modding tools. So it may be a while before I can release an update. If you're eager, feel free to make a pull request and implement your changes. I can later make a temporary release with your credit until I get things back in order.

Cheers!

Edit:

Also, in regards to your question about F1 key and Situations. Yes, I do intercept the F1 key. I didn't want to have the use use a different key for Historian screenshots, and I didn't want to perform a manual Unity capture because I wanted Historian to slide into the default flow of things. But I'm open to making this feature optional. As for Situations, I see no reason why a public API for overriding Historian parameters should not exist. :)

I've committed my changes to Github for you.

I only added a simply function to set the m_Active flag true. If you create a better API, I'll be happy to use it, but this works for now.

LGG

I've committed my changes to Github for you.

I only added a simply function to set the m_Active flag true. If you create a better API, I'll be happy to use it, but this works for now.

LGG

If you'd like, I can build an intermediate release, and either give it to you to upload, or just make it available in an alternative location.

If you'd like, I can build an intermediate release, and either give it to you to upload, or just make it available in an alternative location.

Feel free to send me an intermediate release. I'll mark it as Pre-Release of the next version and publish it. Later, when I get the time, I'll make an official release. Thanks so much for the help!

Woah! Such a cool, yet simple mod! Didn't know I need it until I saw it!

Thanks! Glad you like it! :)

Feel free to send me an intermediate release. I'll mark it as Pre-Release of the next version and publish it. Later, when I get the time, I'll make an official release. Thanks so much for the help!

Thanks! Glad you like it! :)

Here it is, let me know when you've downloaded it so I can remove it.

(removed link since author has updated Historian)

For anyone who is curious, this is identical to the current release, except for the addition of a single function which will allow my Automated Screenshots mod to work with Historian. If you aren't using Automated Screenshots, then you don't need this.

The first version of AutomatedScreenshots which will support this will be 0.3.0, I expect to release it in a couple of days.

Edited by linuxgurugamer
removed link

Here it is, let me know when you've downloaded it so I can remove it.

Pre-release Historian by LinuxGuruGamer

For anyone who is curious, this is identical to the current release, except for the addition of a single function which will allow my Automated Screenshots mod to work with Historian. If you aren't using Automated Screenshots, then you don't need this.

The first version of AutomatedScreenshots which will support this will be 0.3.0, I expect to release it in a couple of days.

Done. Everything should be updated to point to Historian v1.1.1. I will update to version 1.2 at a future date with a few more features; I'll keep you posted in the event that the interface changes. :) Thanks again for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely love this - nabbed ultimaterandombanana's KSP Weekly image and have it working like a news ticker.

Which brings me onto my two questions.

1) Is there a list of situational triggers I can see?

2) Is there a way to give a layout a series of texts (say, 20) and have the mod cycle through them on a timer? I want to write a couple of dozen amusing KSP headlines and just have them cycle and then intersperse these with actual up-to-the-minute stuff that calls the ship and crew names and situation.

Thanks!

Absolutely love this - nabbed ultimaterandombanana's KSP Weekly image and have it working like a news ticker.

Which brings me onto my two questions.

1) Is there a list of situational triggers I can see?

2) Is there a way to give a layout a series of texts (say, 20) and have the mod cycle through them on a timer? I want to write a couple of dozen amusing KSP headlines and just have them cycle and then intersperse these with actual up-to-the-minute stuff that calls the ship and crew names and situation.

Thanks!

1) Not sure what you mean here, but you can refer to the documentation for Situation Text for a list of the situations it supports: https://github.com/Zeenobit/Historian#situation-text

2) That is actually a great idea. I think a Random Text element would be more useful; but a cycle variation could be made to increase options. The tricky part is how to incorporate this into existing elements. Maybe it should be a Random Placeholder instead that refers to a group of text values. Definitely something I'll investigate for the next release. Thanks for the idea! :)

1) Not sure what you mean here, but you can refer to the documentation for Situation Text for a list of the situations it supports: https://github.com/Zeenobit/Historian#situation-text

2) That is actually a great idea. I think a Random Text element would be more useful; but a cycle variation could be made to increase options. The tricky part is how to incorporate this into existing elements. Maybe it should be a Random Placeholder instead that refers to a group of text values. Definitely something I'll investigate for the next release. Thanks for the idea! :)

Take a look at AutomatedScreenshots for an idea on how to change things over time

I just committed 0.4.1, which is the latest.

Or, if you'd like to work together on this, I'd be happy to do so.

Liinuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.