What should I research next? Any advice?

I just came back from a Minmus flyby for that sweet sweet science...

Iy9yX92.jpg

464 in total! Phew! For someone who was failing with the new aero and barely getting past the first few tiers, this is awesome.

jYYRzIh.jpg

Now for the question: What should I unlock next? This is my current tech-tree status. What do you guys think?

Personally, my biggest problem is ascent (getting enough weight to orbit) and I can barely get a small Minmus transfer craft up there. My space program is mostly rocket-oriented, which is why I haven't researched Airplanes yet :P

I've been considering Advanced Exploration for the lab, which seems like a good SCIENCE investment, as well as Command Modules for the 3-Kerbal pod. I'm also thinking about throwing in Landing if I have 90 science to spare... I'll need those big landing legs! Other than that, I could go for Larger Rocketry to get the Mainsail, Aerodynamics for the 2.5m fairing, or maybe even Construction for the tri-coupler.

But I don't want to make a hasty decision. This career game was not going well (probably blew about 100k funds on two missions trying to get Jeb off that deathtrap of a Mun. Did not work.) I don't want to spring for the wrong research node and ruin this science spree!

So, what is your advice? Feel free to throw in any other facts/tips concerning the tech tree!

I'm struggling to remember the vanilla tree right now, does advanced exploration unlock gravioli detectors? It's a huge investment if so because it can be used in both low and high orbit for *each biome*. That's 66 experiments out of a few polar orbits ranging from 20-80 each, without needing to biome hop or anything like that (though if you do, its even more).

464 doesn't sound too much to me... Minmus landing is like 600~700 or something, with surface sample and science jr each gives 100+.

So yeah, my suggestion is, get your landing capability, and then upgrade building so that Kerbals can take surface samples, and then just try out all biome on Minmus/Mun. Don't worry if you miss one or two instruments - that's not going to hurt too much, but make sure you get a Kerbal (to take surface sample) and a Science Jr.

I vote for Propulsion Systems. The "Spark" is a great little engine for small cheap satellites (e.g. for contracts), particularly when coupled with the Oscar-B (which is much buffed up in 1.0.2, holds 0.2 tons fuel!).

Miniaturization goes well with Propulsion Systems (for the size-0 adapters), and also gives you a docking port, which opens up lots of contracts. (It's a real jackpot when you get a "build a station in solar orbit" contract-- those things are worth like 800K funds and are very quick/easy to launch.)

Advanced Landing for some up-sized struts is also good.

Personally, I can do without Command Modules until later in the game. Those big command modules are heavy, much more massy per crewmember than the good ol' Mk1 lander-can.

I was struggling to geta science lab up to minmus, but managed it with skipper engines, so you could hold out on the mainsail node for the moment. Definitely support the idea of landing on minmus next, so get whatever parts you need for that. If you can't take a pilot and a scientist, then consider a decent probe core with SAS for landing, and take just a scientist to reset the experiments, letting you collect more science

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.