Discreet (not just aircraft anymore) Parts. (Updated 21-06-15)

Awesome work!

How did you do the animation for the inflation? I remember trying to use shapekeys before but they wouldnt work.

I used the Ndynamics for the inflation, and then some curve deformer animations for the folding. I then constrained a bunch of joints to the vertexes of the envelope, baked the animation to keyframes and skinned the envelope to them joints.

._. errr what? If i could find a decent blender tutorial...i did not understand anything of what you wrote :D No way i can deal with animations myself Oo

Should have mentioned its all done in Maya :P I'm sure Blender has its own equivalent tools though.

awesome stuff!

how does KSP handle the foldable wings? does it successfully stop them working and stop the control surfaces from working while folded away? I was considering making something similar to them a while back but held off because I didn't think it would work, but you have given me hope!

really like the ideas in this mod

They work. I just took them to EvE, reentried and took em for a spin. No lift or drag as long as they are stowed...deploy them and the aerial forces kick in immediately. :D

awesome stuff!

how does KSP handle the foldable wings? does it successfully stop them working and stop the control surfaces from working while folded away? I was considering making something similar to them a while back but held off because I didn't think it would work, but you have given me hope!

really like the ideas in this mod

Stock ksp wouldn't register the changed wings, they would just act however they were on launch. I had to write a little plugin to turn the lift of the wings to 0 when stowed. I have written the plugin in such a way that different kinds of movable wings are possible, I just need to set the lift for both configurations of the wings. It also wouldn't be a stretch to add other variables to the plugin for any type of part, so long as that variable is in a cfg already.

Edited by electronicfox

Does it take alot of SAS to keep the bleep level and just love the parts great job indeed screenshot0.png

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT- LOL after posting and looking at the picture guess, I could have checked the weight of the cockpit and the engines maybe cockpit weighs more.

Does it take alot of SAS to keep the bleep level and just love the parts great job indeed https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/UFO/screenshot0.png

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT- LOL after posting and looking at the picture guess, I could have checked the weight of the cockpit and the engines maybe cockpit weighs more.

I will be adding an adjustable ballast part later to help balance out this problem. Might also be useful for aircraft it general.

Please don't forget to optimize the textures. The whole zip has a size of 22 MB, extracted it's 32 MB! That's a bit much for just 4 parts. :huh:

Right now everything uses TGA files for materials, which dont compress well. But this is still an early release. Future versions will be using either PNG or MBM (whichever is best). Also the blimp part uses 4mb without textures. It uses a fairly complex rig which ramps up the size considerably. I'm wondering weather its worth simplifying the animation to save a few MB for later versions.

Right now everything uses TGA files for materials, which dont compress well. But this is still an early release. Future versions will be using either PNG or MBM (whichever is best). Also the blimp part uses 4mb without textures. It uses a fairly complex rig which ramps up the size considerably. I'm wondering weather its worth simplifying the animation to save a few MB for later versions.

Why not dds?

Hi, great parts ElectronicFox. Just what the Kerbal ordered, little problem here...no texture on the electric prop unit and the airship wont deploy i.e. there is no right click option to deploy the gas bag in either the SPH or when loaded on the runway.

I am running stock KSP with only kerbal engineer,module manager(2.65) and on-screen protractor installed. Any thoughts anyone?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.