I think it would be cool to have a Mk3 sized "rear cargo door"

I've been playing around with space planes a lot lately and it occurred to me that something was missing... Wouldn't it be awesome to have a stock part that was a Mk3 sized cargo bay, but had a rear door that drops down like on a C-130!? You could build a giant cargo space plane, load up a rover, land it someplace, then just roll the rover out and fly away!

uc?export=view&id=0ByBa_yWHU4TdM2YzaXZJUS1sM3M

This would save so many parts on cargo planes, the nearest I could get in stock (shamelessly plugging my own craft, I know :) ) was this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/122030-1-0-YC-11-Heavy-Cargo-STOL-%28United-Aces-of-Jeb%29

It works well, especially for parachuting cargo, but takes a tonne of parts, doesn't have a cool opening door and is too flimsy for high time warp. A real door would also let you use the cargo bays and not get a tonne of drag off the payload.

HW9Zv7A.jpg

I'd much rather have new rocket parts than new plane parts since this is Kerbal Space Program

Just wondering what you'd like to see. I've seen this complaint before, but we have almost all we need for rocket parts in my opinion. Perhaps a few more SRBs. If we really want to talk about the space program aspect, it's station and rover parts that I feel are lacking.

Also, I support an Mk3 cargo ramp. I've used a mod for one, and it can be quite useful.

Just wondering what you'd like to see. I've seen this complaint before, but we have almost all we need for rocket parts in my opinion. Perhaps a few more SRBs. If we really want to talk about the space program aspect, it's station and rover parts that I feel are lacking.

Also, I support an Mk3 cargo ramp. I've used a mod for one, and it can be quite useful.

I totally agree with you. We have pretty much all that is needed for rockets and some more station related parts would be great.

The idea of rocket flight is pretty simple compared to winged aircraft. You just go up and grav-turn, while aircraft go up, down, land, take-off, land again and sometimes even orbital. All that with wings and most of the times in one piece. They need more specialized parts because they are simply more complicated.

Edited by Veeltch

DO IT, DO IT NOW

I was just working on a MK3 heavy transport ship, simply put I more or less made it an airdrop ship. Since there really is no way to make a movable Ramp in stock without crazy amounts of parts. So once things go out, they can't really get back in unless we are in space. Since Space is nice and all, but the game does revolve around going places THROUGH space It does help to be able to have a viable option to pick up rovers/cargo from the ground without resorting to Rocket Cranes/ large partcount ramps or other crazy ideas for this simple task.

There is always the option of turning the MK3 part on its side..... but hey thats ridiculous XD

.625 m parts are extremely lacking(RLA stockalike needs to be ingame). 1.875, 3.125, and 5 meter parts need to be added, we need a 3.75 m heavy lift engine, we need a soyuz-alike and gemini alike command pod. We need more powerful 1.25 m engines, better fairings, and much more. Plane parts for making historical replicas just slow down the development of the game, but I can understand if people are using them for SSTO's, but why do that if you can just recover the plane and add new cargo in the SPH

I'd much rather have new rocket parts than new plane parts since this is Kerbal Space Program

This actually could be quite awesome for deploying and retrieving rovers. I for one would welcome it warmly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.