The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

The Gnat, my 3 ton SSTO.

Inspired by the unsafe fuel mixtures being used by T2Cross I introduce the Gnat. The K-15 will have to wait until .17

KSP2012-08-3008-19-23-17.jpg

KSP2012-08-3008-24-25-93.jpg

Also, I think the Exelion is the new Maximalist and Altitudinalist record record holder too.

Edited by Suzaku

The Gnat, my 3 ton SSTO.

Inspired by the unsafe fuel mixtures being used by T2Cross I introduce the Gnat. The K-15 will have to wait until .17

-tiny snip

Also, I think the Exelion is the new Maximalist and Altitudinalist record record holder too.

How do you take off with out wheels?

I've done it!

I've gotten a spaceplane that can get into orbit purely by modifying my commercial airliner designs!

Now I've just got to land it...

One question; is there any way to turn off the liquid engines? Right now I'm doing it by disabling all the fuel tanks.

Be back soon! (With pictures!)

(After the flight)

spacelineriv.png

The version I took to space.

I use mechjeb. :3

INSTRUCTIONS to BUILD:

1. Take one abandoned commercial plane.

2. Take two aerospike engines and tanks, secure to wings with ducttape. Add additional strips if necessary.

Ready to fly!

1runway.png

The same plane, on the runway.

Merman Kerman prepares for takeoff with his complimentary bag of chips and soda.

2liftoff.png

Liftoff!

'Ere she is, takin' off. I keep 'er at 50 degrees for most 'uh the flight.

That's basically what Mechjeb is for, 'account of my fingers getting tired 'a hittin' the "s" key.

Also, she flies like a brick with wings. Meh, that's the price you pay for goin' cheap.

3rocketignition.png

At 14,000 meters, I ignite the aerospikes.

Then, at 20,000 meters, I turn on RCS, turn off the turbojets, and throttle down to keep 'er from spinning over. This 'ere plane carries 5 tanks of RCS fuel....

4burntothehorizon.png

Burn to the horizon

I don't know what the most efficient way to get into orbit is, so I just burn to the horizon once my apoapsis exceeds 80,000... or somethin'.

5orbitachieved.png

Orbit achieved!

Due to this horribly inefficient method, I end up with a hugely varying apoapsis and periapsis....

That other orbit was the plane I took up first... For some reason, in the middle of the orbit, the tail of the other plane blew up.

6orbitcircularized.png

Time to circularize!

I've run out of RCS fuel by now; it's really hard to control the plane, so after a few piddling attempts, I hand 'er over to Mechjeb and sit back. :3

Final orbit altitude is about 215,000 meters.

PE 212,000

AP 220,000

7deorbitburn.png

Going back home

By the time she's been circularized, I've got just over 2 tanks of liquid fuel, so I've got plenty 'a fuel for tha' deorbit burn.

After all, Merman only brought the "Fun Size" bag. He can't last forever.

8targetksc.png

Targeting KSC

I try to overshoot, 'teh account for atmospheric drag and whatnot.

9fallingshort.png

Falling short

I realize I did not overshoot enough. Merman appears not to. In fact, he's been happy the whole time.

I fear we'll land far short of KSC.

10glidingtovictory.png

Gliding to Victory

For all the junk I've got on this thing, it's gliding capabilities are...not bad.

12touchdown.png

We touch down!

Merman is as elated as ever.

Still gotta brake though...

My finger reaches greedily for the "B" key....

11solidground.png

Solid Ground

Merman poses beside the stopped craft, admiring the KSC.

He doesn't appear to notice that THE NOSE OF THE PLANE EXPLODED DUE TO OVERZEALOUS BRAKING.

Oh well.

At least he's safe. :3

And thus ends the journey of the SpaceLiner IV, and it's brave pilot, Merman Kerman, clearing the way for countless spaceflights to come.

Each plane filled with passengers swimming around in kerosene, rocket fuel, and other liquids. (Considering we don't have a bathroom...)

I hope this gets me off the Gatecrashers list :3

I believe Merman gets a "Pilot Proficiency Medal" due to his touchdown at KSC.

And the free beer and whatnot.

Let's just hope nobody LOOKS AT THE EXPLODED NOSE.....

(After all, it wasn't *in flight* that the nose exploded... heheheh?)

I suppose...I could try this again if you want me to...the newly modified version has a farther forward landing gear to ensure the same does not happen.

Also, the .craft is attached in case anybody cares to try.

I've removed Mechjeb from the file.

Edited by Coldie

Yup OK Suzaku, I missed that but I think your Exelion craft does weigh a bit more than Sean Mirrsen's Radiant 2 as it has a lot of FL-T400 liquid fuel tanks, whereas his uses fewer lighter fuselage type tanks, I am not entirely sure as I dont have a figure for Seans craft so unless Sean wants so challenge this you have the altitudinalist and maximalist record for v16 (unless I have missed something :blush:).

I tried out your Gnat, it is a very forgiving flier but was tricky to land because of the infiniglide bug but it does land on the runway, I am assuming you are posting it because you managed to land it and are making a claim for the minimalist title, is that right or should I wait a bit?

Nice looking jet plane there Coldie, gl with the landing .

Edited by boolybooly

Nice looking jet plane there Coldie, gl with the landing .

I s'pose that means I have to do the whole thing again, doesn't it.... :(

Fortunately, I had a quicksave right before atmospheric entry.

Unfortunately, I have to use the same o'l flawed design.

EDIT: Got it! Took a long time rolling though.

13landingnumbahtwo.png

The plane, fully stopped, with all it's various parts shown and etc. etc. to avoid lawsuits and the like.

parallelmermankerman.png

Merman Kerman, having a suspiciously deja-vu moment, but not quite pinning it down. Something about the KSC, a landing, and some part of the plane exploding...

Whatever. He's just happy to be back on Kerbin.

I can haz ticket nao?

(And the Pilot Proficiency Medal?) :D

(And a special mention for converting a commercial jet to a spaceplane?)

Edited by Coldie

bsalis your fuel transfer modding is true to the spirit of the K Prize and the fuel truck is a nice touch, so I have given it a special mention in the honours list. If you wanted to share some details that would be interesting eg how did you do it, did you hax the persistence file or do you have a better method?

No need to hack the persistence file. I just used the Fuel Transfer mod. Which allows you to transfer fuel between craft as long as they both have the special part. I then just created the tanker truck using Toshes Carts Mod with three of the big tanks on it. So the truck was more than a nice touch - i was actually refuelling from it.

No need to hack the persistence file. I just used the Fuel Transfer mod. Which allows you to transfer fuel between craft as long as they both have the special part. I then just created the tanker truck using Toshes Carts Mod with three of the big tanks on it. So the truck was more than a nice touch - i was actually refuelling from it.

EXACTLY what I had done, just didnt see your OP Bsalis... makes the challenge just a tad harder actually because then you have to land the shuttle within 2Km of the fuel "truck" you could also theoretically save some launch mass, and refuel in orbit if you wanted too as well..

Well played Coldie. Congrats on your splendid achievement of converting your airliner into a spaceplane getting it into a respectable orbit and then flying it back to the KSC terrain and landing intact. Your successfully completed mission does indeed merit a pilot proficiency medal according to the rules of the challenge and I am pleased to be able to add this award alongside your name on the guest list of K-Prize winners. I did also mention your airliner conversion as per your request so that readers of the thread who are interested by that can take a look.

bsalis, thanks for your heads up about the fuel transfer mod, that is very interesting. I agree with you ambientmic that the refuel mod is worthy of being included in a challenge, but the K-Prize challenge is a self evident challenge of the stock game and is complex enough for a novice to master already and I dont want to change its nature halfway through or make it any more complicated. Hebdomad was suggesting more advanced spaceplane challenges involving payloads and I agree there is scope for more advanced spaceplane challenges. If either of you want to set one up and look after it you should go ahead and do it. I have enough on my plate keeping up with this one! :D

I would be happy to mention any K Prize inspired advanced spaceplane challenge threads in the intro.

I tried out your Gnat, it is a very forgiving flier but was tricky to land because of the infiniglide bug but it does land on the runway, I am assuming you are posting it because you managed to land it and are making a claim for the minimalist title, is that right or should I wait a bit?

I actually landed on terrain with it, however I forgot to take a picture. Not a big fan of using the fuel bug, but w/e. I'll probably re-enter both the exelion and K-15 for .17 as their designs are built to work in KSP without having to abuse anything.

Hey guys, my first post on here. I have a video of a SSTO space plane that I landed on the KSC runway after a single orbit.
I'm not sure how to attach files.

Nice spaceplane! Have you tried attaching files to posts? Also, The JATO is sorta a grey area for this challenge. A SSTO must be able to take off without any assistance from anything whatsoever in order to qualify as a SSTO. I also don't think the K-prize encompasses any mods other than the fuel transfer mod and mechjeb.

Nice spaceplane! Have you tried attaching files to posts? Also, The JATO is sorta a grey area for this challenge. A SSTO must be able to take off without any assistance from anything whatsoever in order to qualify as a SSTO. I also don't think the K-prize encompasses any mods other than the fuel transfer mod and mechjeb.

I don't see anything wrong with using an engine just for takeoff if you carry it with you the rest of the way (as he did), it's no different from using full throttle at takeoff then reduced throttle for flying. The take off asists were non-stock though, so it doesn't qualify unfortunately but you could probably launch without them if you cautious about your turn.

Edited by EndlessWaves

I don't see anything wrong with using an engine just for takeoff if you carry it with you the rest of the way (as he did), it's not difficult from using full throttle at takeoff then reduced throttle for flying. The take off asists were non-stock though, so it doesn't qualify unfortunately but you could probably launch without them if you cautious about your turn.

Crap, it didn't even occur to me that those weren't stock. I'll do over.

Thanks for the video of your spaceplane mission a7i20ci7y, Sidzor's spacewalk looked fun and your landing was skillful. I added a your name to the gate crashers list (which is there to acknowledge noteworthy missions which dont quite meet the rules) because of the interesting non stock lift off boosters. Otherwise the landing would deserve an advanced pilot precision award, :) obviously that's entirely your call. Every contribution appreciated. Thanks again.

Thanks for the video of your spaceplane mission a7i20ci7y, Sidzor's spacewalk looked fun and your landing was skillful. I added a your name to the gate crashers list (which is there to acknowledge noteworthy missions which dont quite meet the rules) because of the interesting non stock lift off boosters. Otherwise the landing would deserve an advanced pilot precision award, :) obviously that's entirely your call. Every contribution appreciated. Thanks again.

I'd like to meet the challenge, but I wouldn't mind keeping my gate crasher entry as well. I do insist that (some) uncertified boosters are perfectly safe LOL

Page tells me I may not post attachments. Do I need to increase my post count?

Well played a7i20ci7y and thanks for the new video mission report. Congratulations on completing the K-Prize mission successfully with another very precise landing from a more than adequate orbit, proving if proof were needed that your Advanced Pilot Precision Award is well deserved as is your place on the roll of honour aka the guest list. I have left your gate crashers entry as per your request.

Attachments have been pretty borked since the move. GL with that. You may be OK with a fresh account but I cant post a thing.

I would like to submit another entry!

After building some silly large and sort of working SSTOs, I went back to basics and built a mid-size small tank SSTO that is showing a lot of promise... and a lot of delta-V. Expect legs on the next revision. Anyhow, here is the maiden orbit and return test trip. It is called Zanix...

7922251806_af695f37bc_c.jpg

7922257796_4888964894_c.jpg

7922260430_d7a55f77bd_c.jpg

7922263070_af25ac4143_c.jpg

7922267852_6a9e386076_c.jpg

7922272354_3b0f49e6a5_c.jpg

bsalis, on your word of a good >70km orbit then (because I cannot read the screeny PE which looks like 14,343m through a magnifying glass!) I have added a Zanix link after your previous entry on the honours roll.

Oh it's in orbit! Pe is 94313, see full image here.

Heck, as promised, the next revision...

7930322358_c20d5e48a9_c.jpg

... it can't get back though. Will send fuel to fix that.

Hehehehe, your SSTO design keeps getting better and better. I'm gonna have to start watching out for you.

Love the flying wing design.

Thanks for the screeny bsalis. Your ship is well and truely in orbit and my magnifying glass must be wonky!

That refuel mission sounds like fun. I dont want to be seen as misleading people as it worries me someone might get the wrong end of the stick, so just wanted to clarify that as far as the K Prize is concerned IMHO the stock fuel clause means it has to be done on one fuel load, so refuelling between launches on Kerbin is in the spirit of the K Prize if tanks are stock, refuelling on the Mün is very clever and more advanced and is not covered by the K Prize which is about a taking a reusable spaceplane to orbit and back on one fuel load.

So mid flight refuelling is gate crashing, but very cool gate crashing.

IMHO I still think someone else should start up an advanced spaceplane challenge thread for 17. :D

Edited by boolybooly

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.