[WIP] DEV: Lithobrake Exploration Technologies 0.1 (2015-07-08)

NecroBones

why not a wedding between a Sparkler vacuum engine and a downsized LL-4M landing leg? And its big brother.

You know, I hadn't really thought about that. But integrated thrusters (and lights) could be interesting. I'll think on it. I was already thinking of another set of legs, to bridge the gap between the LL-4M and the larger stock legs.

Hi Necrobones,

just had an idea: what about adding floats and airbags, maybe even built into the command pod? And will there be a service module?

Thanks for this ne awesomness and Cheers

Huh, interesting idea. I'm trying to be careful about adding too much to any one part, but interesting ideas. A service module is a possibility.

I want that pod, oh yes, want it very much.

Awesome. Soon now. Very soon. :)

what about adding floats and airbags, maybe even built into the command pod? And will there be a service module?

for buoyancy in water, landing like a bouncing ball, or for increased drag while aerobraking/during atmospheric entry?

Something like the supersonic inflatable aerodynamic decelerator (SIAD) that NASA has been testing recently would be interesting... a thin "pancake" part that could sit just above a heat shield and then inflate into a large heat-resistant donut to significantly increase drag in the upper atmosphere.

Woah woah woah, I don't check the thread for a few days and come back to find this awesome new pod! I am very much looking forward to it! I would also second the idea of a 1.25 hitchhiker with space for two.

I face some troubles with the expanded service bay. When I attach something to the inside top, no problem, it connects to the node, but it's impossible to make something sticks to the ground.

Here, no problem wit the node

nyw9li.png

But it's the best I can have when trying to attach something of the lower internal node

2lkttgg.png

And same result if I try to attach anywhere on the ground, the part doesn't stick whatever I try.

And for some reason there some attachment problems with the octogonal service bay. When I try to stick something on it it's fine, then at a certain moment it's no more possible. And after that I can't even delete the service bay

29nf52p.png

On the screenshot I placed the part at the left and I'm clicking (standard way to deleted a selected part) and that doesn't work at all.

29ngplc.png

And If revert the action the game seems to give up totally. Nothing respond anymore. :sealed: the part I removed (the radial fuel tanks and engine) are duplicated randomly. This time I was lucky I could quit VAB, the 2 first times I had to use the good old task manager and terminate KSP T-800 style

For now, I think rather than add thrusters to the landing legs, I can at least get lights working. I'm still being cautious about adding too much to any one part. But the lights work pretty well (I have it functioning in testing).

Is the top 2.5m? Can we get a nice, huge LAS for it? :D

Actually it's 1.25m at the top, and 2.5m at the bottom, like the stock Mk1-2 pod, just a bit taller.

I face some troubles with the expanded service bay. When I attach something to the inside top, no problem, it connects to the node, but it's impossible to make something sticks to the ground.

Here, no problem wit the node

http://i60.tinypic.com/nyw9li.png

But it's the best I can have when trying to attach something of the lower internal node

http://i57.tinypic.com/2lkttgg.png

And same result if I try to attach anywhere on the ground, the part doesn't stick whatever I try.

Ah crap, I see the problem. Somehow one of the colliders got completely mangled. I fix that.

And for some reason there some attachment problems with the octogonal service bay. When I try to stick something on it it's fine, then at a certain moment it's no more possible. And after that I can't even delete the service bay

http://i61.tinypic.com/29nf52p.png

On the screenshot I placed the part at the left and I'm clicking (standard way to deleted a selected part) and that doesn't work at all.

http://i57.tinypic.com/29ngplc.png

And If revert the action the game seems to give up totally. Nothing respond anymore. :sealed: the part I removed (the radial fuel tanks and engine) are duplicated randomly. This time I was lucky I could quit VAB, the 2 first times I had to use the good old task manager and terminate KSP T-800 style

This, I'm not sure. KSP bug perhaps? It really shouldn't be bugging out the whole VAB. I've seen weird things like that happen before (and it often forces you to quit and re-enter the game), but I'm not sure what the service bay could be doing to cause that. I'll take another look at the colliders and make sure nothing's out of place here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.