I miss NASA's "worm Logo"

Orbital Vagabond

For anyone who doesn't know, the "Worm logo" is the modern, stylized logo that was used by NASA between 1975 and 1992.

nasa-worm-logotype.jpg

As a child of the 80's, this was the first logo I ever saw for NASA, and, man, I just realized how much I miss it after looking through some old NASA stuff. It's just so clean, and minimalistic... I've always preferred it to the "meatball" logo.

Anyone else feel me on this?

I like both, and wouldn't mind both being used. Just fit them in different places depending on the spaces available. Or, perhaps, merge the two. Replace the serif text on the meatball with the worm text in white.

Fun Fact: The "Meatball" logo was actually the original logo, and was made after the NACA turned into NASA. It was made as a graphic that would be used for less formal occasions, and is based on the NASA seal, which was made first before the meatball and worm logos at the very start of NASA. The official seal would've been used for more formal occasions and nowadays is only used by the Administrator for awards and other such things. The "Worm" logo was actually made in 1974 when the government launched a "Graphics Improvement Program" and NASA got some National Endowment for the Arts funding to give to an artist to design a more modern NASA logo. The "Worm" was retired in 1991.

I prefer the Worm on spacecraft and the Meatball on buildings, uniforms, shirts, and ground vehicles.

Yeah, I know the meatball was the original logo, and it looks REALLY dated to me. The worm was in use from Apollo-Soyuz through early "shuttle years", and it just always sat well with me, certainly better than reviving an older design. I guess I'm in the minority on this one. /shrug

I grew up with the worm logo, but much prefer the meatball to the worm. It looks like it alludes to something, and as such is fitting as an emblem you'd put on vehicles, rather than a corporate logo designed to be plastered on buildings that just sit there. (Corporate names don't even need to make sense. What is a "Verizon"? Or a "Magnavox"? They're abstract in the extreme, and even though it doesn't fit as much these days, I like to think of NASA as potentially being known for doing stuff when it gets its act together.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.