RSS.....an idiots guide please

Hi all. So, I finally decided to use Real Solar System 1.0.2 and it works perfectly, however after 2 failed attempts to get into orbit and an hour reading about RSS on the net (which ive found that what ive read is way too technical for me to understand) I really could do with a couple of questions answered in very simple (idiot proof) ways. BTW, I can get to other planets, land, return etc in the Kerbin system, so not a noob to the game, just RSS.

Firstly, how much fuel do I need to get into a good position to set a manoeuvre node for orbit? I know on Kerbin it takes around 4550dv but when I launch from Earth, I get to about 200k, set the node then seem to run out of fuel using all stages of my rocket which is FASA's Apollo Nova. I have at least 2600m/s still to burn before I can get into orbit?

Secondly, once I understand how to get into orbit, is there a dV map for RSS? I have one for the Kerbin system but not in RSS. If not, can anyone recommend an "easy to understand" way to calculate dV needed in RSS or do I have to learn what ive tried to read before?

Sorry to sound like such a noob but the difference between stock and RSS seems huge but im loving even my failed 2 launches!

Any help would be awesome, however I'm going to keep trying to achieve orbit even if it takes me weeks!

No problem, everybody starts somewhere! :)

If you're not using Realism Overhaul, or at least RF Stockalikes, you're going to have a bad time. Earth takes about 9400m/s delta V to get into orbit (more for polar orbits or low-thrust stages, less from directly on the equator or from very high TWRs). As a general rule, assuming you're using RO, you want a sea level starting TWR of about 1.2, about 3 minutes burn time on the first stage, a vacuum starting TWR of about .8 on the second stage, and about 5 minutes burntime.

If you're not using any part patches, then you're going to need a lot more rocket than real life.

RSS _is_ the real solar system, so any _real_ dV map will work fine. :)

I tried installing RO but I only had the 0.90 version and it was incompatible. Also, what is RF Stockalikes? Never heard of that before. Not sure why RO would make a difference?

Also, I have a dv map now thankyou :)

Edited by maceemiller

Not sure why RO would make a difference?

RO makes engines and tanks realistically lighter which leads to higher TWR and better wet/dry mass ratio and thus much better delta V even with low Isp.

Your FASA's Apollo Nova is nowhere near real Nova rocket because it is stock config for 10x smaller planet with poor tanks and engines performance.

FASA's Apollo Nova is nowhere near real Nova rocket because it is stock config for 10x smaller planet with poor tanks and engines performance.

So FASA isnt good for use in RSS then? What do you recommend? Also, RO doesnt seem compatible with 1.0.2?

Edited by maceemiller

For now, if you want, you could look up real engines and put their numbers into any engine CFGs. It will make things better, though for the best experience you will just have to wait for RO to be released for 1.0.2. Or you could play with stock parts and learn to reach orbit with them, after that you'll be in for a major relief when RO comes.

Also remove that "/" from the first quote tag.

EDIT: ETA for RO is practically now.

And the ETA is tonight. :)

So I recommend you wait a few hours.

I wouldn't be too surprised if it is a mess of crashes initially, be prepared for that, but let's hope it will work well.

Edited by xrayfishx

RO's out. Although we're still working on CKAN.

RO will turn those FASA parts into the real thing, which would probably be the easiest approach for you. :)

RF Stockalike is a set of configs for Real Fuels where the existing KSP engines are given realistic efficiency, rather than being turned into 100% real engines as Realism Overhaul does. I.e. RO will turn the Mainsail into the H-1 (from the Saturn IB) whereas RF Stockalike will keep it a 2.5m lifter engine called the Mainsail.

FASA's Apollo Nova is nowhere near real Nova rocket because it is stock config for 10x smaller planet with poor tanks and engines performance.

So FASA isnt good for use in RSS then? What do you recommend? Also, RO doesnt seem compatible with 1.0.2?

FASA is good, it's even one of the best mods for RSS but only after RO installation. RO will give you just realistic performance for FASA parts.

Edited by winged

For now, if you want, you could look up real engines and put their numbers into any engine CFGs. It will make things better, though for the best experience you will just have to wait for RO to be released for 1.0.2. Or you could play with stock parts and learn to reach orbit with them, after that you'll be in for a major relief when RO comes.

Also remove that "/" from the first quote tag.

EDIT: ETA for RO is practically now.

So I recommend you wait a few hours.

I wouldn't be too surprised if it is a mess of crashes initially, be prepared for that, but let's hope it will work well.

Just woke up and it's here! Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

RO's out. Although we're still working on CKAN.

RO will turn those FASA parts into the real thing, which would probably be the easiest approach for you. :)

RF Stockalike is a set of configs for Real Fuels where the existing KSP engines are given realistic efficiency, rather than being turned into 100% real engines as Realism Overhaul does. I.e. RO will turn the Mainsail into the H-1 (from the Saturn IB) whereas RF Stockalike will keep it a 2.5m lifter engine called the Mainsail.

I see now :) Been looking at RSS for a while now but had to get to grips with stock first. Can't wait to get in from work today and try it out! Thankyou so much!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.