Science change 1.0.2

I discovered I can do TEMP analysis high over bodies (which was only allowed in near space)

It seems I can also do PRESSURE experiment in vacuum. Is it only possible on surface on vaccum bodies ?

Other new 1.0 science options ?

Thx

All can be done landed/splashed. All but Seismic scan and Athmosphere analysis can be done in high/low orbit. Some can be done flying over a biome, other at high altitude but i can't say for sure which. Best carry a suite of all instruments you've unlocked in sciency craft (athmospheric planes, suborbital turbojets, science landers, etc...)

Temp - available in all situations.

Pressure - available in all situations. Gives no reading in vacuum (but can still gather situational science for a biome).

Seismic scanner - only when landed and stationary. Gives reading in flight/space though (but no situational science/experiment).

Athmosphere analyser - only in athmospheric flight. I think it treats high and low altitudes separately but can't say for sure.

Gravioli detector - haven't used it much but it should be available in all situations. It refused to conduct an experiment a few times, maybe when the craft was moving/burning/in flight.

Goo/Science Jr. - all situations.

Crew report - all situations.

EVA - all situations though cannot be safely performed in athmospheric flight. Can be done unsafely...

Ore scanner - Not science but should point out that it gives a continuous readout best used when moving on the surface and trying to pinpoint the richest spot.

Mobile lab - Can analyse all experiments to gather research data, wheter done in the craft with the lab, or delivered by hand from elsewhere. Can reset equipment (goo canisters, science jrs.) on docked craft. Does not need a scientis for this. Needs a scientis to convert data into science.

[edit]

For max science it's best to remove data from each instrument by hand before moving to another biome. If you have duplicates, place them in separate capsules/cockpits. Then cover a new biome with fresh instruments. For example on Minmus it's possible to score midlans, slopes and one of the flats with minimal fuss. It's generally more expedient to analyse results in a lab, then transmit back home. I'm a pedant so i carry the damn things with me, but you don't have to. :)

Edited by georgTF

I discovered I can do TEMP analysis high over bodies (which was only allowed in near spaaace)

It seems I can also do PRESSURE experiment in vacuum. Is it only possible on surface on vaccum bodies ?

Other new 1.0 science options ?

Yes, those are the only two changes to actual instruments. The Science Lab's function has changed radically, allowing for more total science to be gotten, and you get science points for a successful ISRU scan on each planet/moon.

You can get science by detecting graviolies while orbiting various biomes. I don't recall that being possible previously.

That's always been a feature. Sciene from the negative gravioli detector is available from surface, low orbit and high orbit from each biome. The only place it doesn't work is in flight.

One change that's not an actual science change, but makes a big difference to game play:

Scientists can now reset a goo canister or materials bay without needing a science lab.

That's a huge win, you don't have to lug around that big heavy lab.

So to sum up

New to 0.9

- Temp scan is allow in high space (global, not biome dependent)

- Pressure scan are allowed landed or splashed (biome dependent) [was already allowed on non vacuum bodies only]

- Pressure scan are allowed in near and high space (global, not biome dependent)

Am I right ?

PS : Damn I missed the pressure scan on my Ike lander...

Edited by Warzouz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.