[1.1.3] RealHeat (Minimalist) v4.3 July 3

NathanKell

Updated to v1.1.

Includes functionality to have low-altitude mach effects without having flaming ascents. To wit:

Supports changing aeroFX now. Defaults to making it intense down low, so you can set the normal aeroFX settings to much lower scaling to not have flames on ascent. Supports aeroFXdensityExponent1 (default = 2.0) and aeroFXdensityMult1 default = 90), and the final density passed to aeroFX will be (density^aeroFXdensityExponent1 * aeroFXdensityMult1 + density^PhysicsGlobals.aeroFXDensityExponent) instead of just density^PhysicsGlobals.aeroFXDensityExponent.

• 2 weeks later...

Nathan? (or anyone else if you happen to know :) )I wonder if you could help me. I saw a comment that you posted somewhere detailing a minor .cfg that would remove somethingorother from realheat, to make the aero/heat FX appear somewhat less madly intense in normal-scale KSP. It set some value to zero IIRC.

I cant find the thread it was in though, can you remember what it was? Or is it no longer necessary since the update to 1.1?

At the moment, with realheat, I get aero FX starting around 80m/s, meaning that any craft I build (unless a very slow mover for some reason) is almost always shrouded in either clouds or fire whilst in-atmosphere.

Removing realheat removes the problem, but in above mentioned thread I thik you said that it was not necessary, implying that realheat has some use to us normal-scalers?

Sorry to be so vague!

Thanks

Edited by p1t1o

• 1 month later...

I was recommended to get this mod to make aero capturing at Jool not completely ridiculous. Everything works fine but I'm getting mach effects at low speeds, like around 60m/s. Is there something I need to fix/change in order to get it to work properly? I don't have any other Realism Overhaul mods, just this one, if that has anything to do with it.

I want to use this mod to fix Eve and Jool aerobraking.

However, I also don't want to completely nerf Kerbin reentries. Will this mod leave Kerbin reentries about as "deadly" as stock?

I'm using stock aero and a non-rescaled (stock) solar system.

However, I also don't want to completely nerf Kerbin reentries. Will this mod leave Kerbin reentries about as "deadly" as stock?

I haven't tested Real Heat without Deadly Reentry, but with Deadly Reentry, Kerbin still definitely requires care and planning if you don't want to burn up.

You will need DRE if you want this. RealHeat by itself will make Kerbin re-entry pretty boring.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know whats going on but Real Heat is basicaly doing Earth to Mercury conversion for me.

http://imgur.com/a/BjrJt

Notice the radiating flux values and skin temp.

Near zero for stock, and ridiculous values for Real Heat with RO+RSS.

For Stock + Real Heat they are not so ridiculous but still a lot higher than expected, even at night.

KSP is latest from Steam, mods installed using CKAN, started new sandbox game for each test.

Edited by kpstjeev

There are at least three more that are affected by this in RO thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99966-1-0-4-Realism-Overhaul-v10-4-1-2015-264?p=2150057&highlight=overheating#post2150057

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99966-1-0-4-Realism-Overhaul-v10-4-1-2015-264?p=2195417&highlight=runway#post2195417 - video clearly shows overheating on runaway

Running KSP 32bit in win7-64.

Tell me if there anything else I can provide to help fix the issue.

Aaaargh that's what happens when I answer from a smartphone with a small screen. The guy in the video does not have an overheating problem.

The guy in the first post is from August and that was probably because of an outdated version of FAR which had radiative area problems back then.

You do look like you have an overheating problem. Post your logs (output_log.txt if Windows. player.log if Mac/Linux - if you're not sure where to find those files then see this post: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92229)

It wouldn't hurt to post your ModuleManager.ConfigCache file from your GameData folder either. Between the logs and the cache, quite a bit of info about your install is possible.

Do you also have Deadly Reentry installed?

If so, (or probably even if you don't) then unless parts are exploding, you don't have an overheating problem and the gauge is lying. It's a stock bug where the gauge checks for skin overheating by comparing skin temp to part internal max temp, which can be different. (In stock, AFAIK they're always the same. DRE and possibly other mods may set lower max internal temps with higher outers and it confuses the gauge. It'll be fixed in stock)

Edited by Starwaster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.