Odin Munar Progam - Odin 20 Part 1

Xeldrak

The first space station of the Odin program: Asgard

It is a convesion of a S-IVB stage and includes a docking adapter, a small space habitat and a workshop area. It was launched by an unmanned, modified Sleipnir V rocket. Using only the S-IC and S-II stages, it was put into and 122km x 122 km orbit around Kerbin. Once in space the solar cells deployed to provide energy to the station and soon after the OTM (Odin Telescope Mount) undocked and was moved from it's launch position to it's final position an the docking adapter.Asgard station is now ready for it's first visitors.

Edited by Xeldrak

The first manned mission to Asgard, the first Odin program space station: Asgard 2 (AG 2)

Val, Bob and Bill finally got back into space! This time they launched onboard a Sleipnir IB rocket, the first one launched since Odin VII, to board the Asgard space station. The well tested booster worked flawlessly and put the crew into orbit as planned. Just 43 minutes after launch veteran pilot Valentina Kerman docked the CSM to the station and the kerbonauts could begin to transfer equipment into the station.

Several days into the mission Bill had to do a EVA to retrieve a film from the OTM and replace it with new one. The remaining time on the space station was spent productively, conducting experiments, eating snacks and taking naps. But after 26 days the Crew had to return. They transfered all the equipment they were supposed to bring back to Kerbin into the capsule, switched off the light and undocked.

After drifting away from the station to a safe distance, Valentina activated the SPS and deorbited the CSM. Bill and Bob where unaware that she and CMP Thomas K. Kerman, of Odin XVI fame, had made a bet who could splash down closer to the KSC. While panic crept into Bill and Bob once they say the mountain range west of the cape in ominous distance, Val stayed confident. The capsule spashed down safely mere meters of the coast near the KSC.

Edited by Xeldrak

Nice! Love the naming of these things.

On July 16, 1969, a massive Saturn V rocket carrying Apollo 11 lifted off from Earth – launching Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, and Buzz Aldrin on their way to the moon. Their Command Module was named "Columbia," after Jules Verne's fictional canon (Columbiad) that shot a projectile-like ship to the moon.

Their Lunar Module was named "Eagle."

"Houston, Tranquility base here. The eagle has landed."

On July 20th, Armstrong and Aldrin landed on the lunar surface, in an area called the "Sea of Tranquility."

OliveBranchMoon.jpg The two men exited Eagle for 2½ hours to walk on the moon, becoming the first humans ever to do so. One of the things they did was to place a golden olive branch on the lunar surface.

Gold Olive Branch Left on the Moon

"This is the gold replica of an olive branch, the traditional symbol of peace, left on the Moon's surface by Apollo 11 crew members. Astronaut Neil A. Armstrong, commander, placed the small replica (less than half a foot in length) on the Moon. The gesture represented a wish for peace for all mankind." – NASA

After nearly 22 hours at Tranquility Base, the two astronauts launched up in Eagle to rejoin Columbia in orbit around the moon.

- - - Updated - - -

So it was Apollo 11, not Apollo 17 >.<

The second kerballed mission to the Asgard space station: Asgard 3 (AG-3)

For this mission the Odin XVI veterans John W. and Thomas K. Kerman were joined by engineer and space rookie Judith Kerman. Just like their predecessors the crew was launched on a Sleipnir IB rocket to the Asgard station. The tried and tested booster worked flawlessly and thanks to Thomas's maneuvering the CSM docked with the station only 45 minutes after launch. Once docked the crew started their work on the station, tranfering experiments, snacks and other supplies.

During their 58 day stay on Asgard the crew completed two EVAs to change film magazines on the OTM and for minor repairs to the solar pales. After almost two months in space supplies were nevertheless starting to run low. With the previous record of AG-2 for length of time in space thoroughly broken the crew packed their things, switched of the lights and undocked from the station.

After drifting to a safe distance Thomas activated the SPS to deorbit the capsule. The SM was shed shorty after the burn and the capsule reentered the atmosphere above the KSC. They spashed down safely several kilometers of the Space Center's coast. Val had won her bet.

Edited by Xeldrak

The second mission of the ODIN XVII crew and the third mission to the Asgard space station: AG-4

Like their predecessors the crew of AG-4 was launched into orbit ontop of a Sleipnir IB rocket. Both stages of the booster worked flawlessly and put the CSM into a orbit close to the space station. Pilot Ronald E. Kerman holds the new record for docking with the space station mere 29 minutes after launch. Once the two vessels were connected the crew started to transfer their equipment into the station. There were several hundred items to bring into Asgard for their almost three month long stay.

Nevertheless they crew finished the task within the first day and soon could start their scientific experiments. Gene took care of the OMT and, over the course of the mission, had to complete two EVAs to change film magazines. The crew completed hundreds of experiments, with their favourite beeing a snack tasting in space.

On their 86th day in space the snacks were almost depleted and the crew had to return to Kerbin. Since right now no further mission to Asgard were announced, they left their last bag of supplies near entrace as a welcoming gift, whoever the next visitors might be, and left the airlock unlocked. Once all preparations were completed to put the space station in mothballs, the crew undocked and returned to Kerbin.

The capsule reentered over the KSC and splashed down safely several kilometers off the coast.

Edited by Xeldrak

Yes, the eve flyby is planned but as I will try to keep it realistic, the fly-by will probably be the finale of this second phase.

On mods: I decided to do this recreation of Apollo basically with stock. My two main reason were probably:

1. I want this to be relatable. Everybody knows the stock parts, so when you see my spacecraft you will immediately have a feeling for how powerful it is. When I see a heavily modded craft I have no clue what it can do or not. I can't relate to it. (Cause I don't keep up with the all the mods)

2. The challenge: Where is the fun in using the "Saturn V" look alike parts with the "Saturn V" look alike engine to build a Saturn V? I don't want to be handed the perfect parts for the things I'm building and just stick them together. I want to make due with the stuff I have. You know, like in Apollo 13 ;) When they have to connect this thing to this thing, using only this table full of parts. It's part of the fun for me.

I almost installed tantares for the upcomming Soyus stand-in, since the stock parts really don't lend themselves to build russian stuff. But I kept to my priciples and while the final product might look a little strange, I dare anyone to come up with a better stock-only soyuz look alike ;)

Edited by Xeldrak

The Odin Zhar-Ptitsa Test Project was the first time the Kerviet Union and the Odin Program worked together in space. The goal of the OZTP was to dock a Odin and a Zhar-Ptitsa craft in LKO.

The Zhar-Ptitsa 19 launched first, from the Kerviet Cosmodrome. It's reliable booster, that cant trace it's heritage to the rocket that launched the first satellite, put the crew into a 120 km circular orbit around Kerbin. There the crew, consiting of Gherman Kermanov and Svetlana Kermanova, awaited the arrival of the Odin spacecraft.

Several hours later the Odin spacecraft launched ontop of a Sleipnir IB booster. The craft was crewed by our most senior team of Kerbonauts: Valentina, Bob and Bill Kerman. Once in orbit the spacecraft seperated from the second stage, turned around and extracted the Odin-Zhar-Ptitsa docking adapter, just like a MEM in a munar Odin mission. About one hour after it's launch the Odin spacecraft approached Zhar-Ptitsa 19. In this first docking the Kerviet craft would remain passive while the Odin capsule took the active part in the docking procedure. Once docked two crew commanders Valentina and Gherman exchanged the first international handshake in space.

The two crews assembled a commemorative plaque, exchanged flags and snacks, visited each other's ships, ate together, and conversed in each other's languages. After several hours the two ships undocked and Odin positioned himself in front of the Sun to produce a artificial solar eclipse for Zhar-Ptitsa 19. The spacecraft then docked a second time, this time with Zhar-Ptitsa as the active partner. However, this time none of the Kerbonauts changed their spacecraft. After a few more hours the two vessels undocked and went their seperate ways.

Both vessels stayed in orbit for a few more days, conducting several experiments. The craft that first reentered Kerbin's atmosphere was Zhar-Ptitsa, it landet safely in the desert. The Odin capsule splashed down off the coast of the KSC a little later.

Edited by Xeldrak

After reviewing several plans for the future of the Odin Progamm, the Odin Administrator has finalized the goals for Odin Phase Two:

• A Mission into polar Orbit around Kerbin, surverying the planet.
  • A Mission into polar Orbit around the Mun, surverying it for possible fuel extraction in the future and for spotting munar landing sites.
  • A mission to set up a small network of com-satellites around the Mun, oin order to communicate with Kerbals on it's far side.
  • Two to three missions to the far side of the Mun, the landing sites are yet to be determined.
  • Between one and three launches to upgrade the Asgard space station, turning it into a permant outpost in space and or a refueling station.
  • A kerballed eve fly-by mission, needing between one and three launches.

The Chief of the Kerbonaut Office has also updated the kerbonaut roster. Veteran Scientist Bob Kerman and Pilot Thomas K. Kerman are retired. In the future Bob will take care of Kerbonaut training, while Thomas went to the private sector. To stock up the team Sally and Kathryn Kerman joined the Kerbonaut corps and will fly their first mission in the near future.

Name                                  Occupation          Status            Missions
Bill Kerman                         Engineer                Active             ODIN 7-15, AG-2, OZTP
Bob Kerman                       Scientist                  Retired          ODIN 7-15, AG-2, OZTP
Charles M. Kerman, Jr.     Scientist                 Active             ODIN 16
Eugene A. Kerman            Pilot                        Active             ODIN 17, AG-4
Harrison H. Kerman           Scientist                 Active            ODIN 17, AG-4
Jebdiah Kerman                 Pilot                       Deceased     Odin I
John W. Kerman                Scientist                Active            ODIN 16, AG-3
Judith Kerman                    Engineer              Active             AG-3
Ronald E. Kerman             Pilot                      Active             ODIN 17, AG-4
Thomas K. Kerman, II       Pilot                       Retired          ODIN 16, AG-3
Valentina Kerman             Pilot                       Active            ODIN 7-15, AG-2, OZTP
Sally Kerman                    Scientist                Active            None (Rookie)
Kathryn Kerman               Engineer              Active             None (Rookie)

Edited by Xeldrak

Yes, I did some research on the Apollo Applications Program, it would have looked something like this:

mvfcutaway.jpg

Since this mission never came to be, I have a little more freedom. So right now between one and three launches are projected and I have a little wiggle room on what will actually fly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.