[WIP][1.8.x] SSTULabs - Low Part Count Solutions (Orbiters, Landers, Lifters) - Dev Thread [11-18-18]

Shadowmage

I look at this forum all the time, but rarely post.  This mod is awesome and having been using it from its inception on this forum..
It has become my go-to default mod on every install..  So excited for the Soyuz!!  I'm made some beautiful crafts with this mod..  
So awesome that there is something released several times a week..  Definitely peaks my interest!  I post when I have something relevant
and positive to say and this mod warrants such..  Thank you, Shadowmage, for your dedication and continued work in doing your part to keep things fresh
and new..  \m/(>.<)\m/    Rock on!

screenshot13.png

32 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

I had experimented with skinned mesh stuff briefly, but didn't have much success.  Might take another look at it in the future though, as that would make some of the piping stuff work a bit better.

14 minutes ago, Anodizer said:

I look at this forum all the time, but rarely post.  This mod is awesome and having been using it from its inception on this forum..
It has become my go-to default mod on every install..  So excited for the Soyuz!!  I'm made some beautiful crafts with this mod..  
So awesome that there is something released several times a week..  Definitely peaks my interest!  I post when I have something relevant
and positive to say and this mod warrants such..  Thank you, Shadowmage, for your dedication and continued work in doing your part to keep things fresh
and new..  \m/(>.<)\m/    Rock on!

Thanks, I'm glad you are enjoying it, even in its current unpolished form.  Those are some nice looking craft :) -- goes a long way to show just how adaptable this stuff is too.

25 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Noted;  I've removed those lines from the patch notes.  Apparently I left those part config files in my dev folder (which doesn't get copied for packaging)... but no big loss, as they're not finished, and are supposed to be part of the next release version anyways.  Maybe I'll sneak them into the balance update tomorrow.

Yes please :)

3 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

In light of the Soyuz, will we be seeing the engines for the Soyuz as well (and the booster shapes) ?

Maybe (engines), and definitely not anytime soon/possibly at all (boosters).

Engines are on the engine stat sheet I believe.

Boosters are PITA shape, and not something that could be easily done with the current MFT system (at least as far as length-adjustment goes; diameter/straight scaling is easy enough to do).  I've been contemplating doing a half-procedural setup for those tanks (and the R-7 core tank design(s)), but they are so far out (timing wise) that I'm not going to speculate or promise anything at this point.

17 hours ago, stratochief66 said:

You've got an old, out of date TACLS I bet. Old TACLS caused parts with TACLS modules (ie. LOX -> Air, Fuel Cells) to stage the part they were attached to at load. That stopped me from being able to use TACLS for many parts (including some in FASA) but it was fixed in the most recent TACLS release.

I hadn't found the new TACLS that day. Is it updated now?

11 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Maybe (engines), and definitely not anytime soon/possibly at all (boosters).

Engines are on the engine stat sheet I believe.

Boosters are PITA shape, and not something that could be easily done with the current MFT system (at least as far as length-adjustment goes; diameter/straight scaling is easy enough to do).  I've been contemplating doing a half-procedural setup for those tanks (and the R-7 core tank design(s)), but they are so far out (timing wise) that I'm not going to speculate or promise anything at this point.

I can see many uses for them with scale-able diameters (with the whole tank scaling according to the diameter set but not having freely adjustable height), like making a Saturn-sized Soyuz, Vostok or Sputnik rocket with more powerfull engines, but I'm not sure how the R-7 parts would work being procedural or semi-procedural

worst case scenarios the Soyuz can be launched on a Long March alike, or in a Angara :P

(can you imagine? a Soyuz with 10m wide tank, and either 4x RS-25 or F-1B engines in the core and in each booster and 4x J-2 on the second stage? :P)

26 minutes ago, RedParadize said:

Is the soyuz released? I can't find it in the last publish.

Not yet; I apparently forgot to package it up yesterday.  Which is for the better, because its in a much more usable state today.  Will be packing up the final 0.3.26-pre release shortly, and have already moved the series-c stuff over to make sure it gets packaged this time.  Still nowhere near finished, but quite usable.

Should be available in an hour or so.

Nice photoshoot Mage! STartin up KSP as I type...  Is that EVE/Scatterer or are you using something else?

[edit]Playing with it now... Maybe a 1.875 step size? ;) 

[edit] Very cool!!!!  This thing is very cute, nice and tiny, makes a great addition. Already love it.

Edited by Jimbodiah

41 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

Nice photoshoot Mage! STartin up KSP as I type...  Is that EVE/Scatterer or are you using something else?

And yes - EVE/Scatterer combo; just started trying out some visual-enhancement mods for taking better looking screenshots.  I figured I might as well have some nice looking previews for the stuff :)

From the change-log:

• CHANGE - Interstage Decoupler - Use the height of the engine as 'minHeight' for interstage decoupler.
  • CHANGE - Interstage Decoupler to use SSTUFuelType setups to determine its fuel type, to more easily allow for dynamic modification of the fuel quantity and RF interoperability.
  • CHANGE - Add Solid as a FuelType -- used for interstage decoupler fuel volume updating
  • CHANGE - Interstage Decoupler to dynamically vary the engine thrust dependant upon current model scale (needs testing/verification/balance)
  • CHANGE - Add capability to auto-decouple the secondary node to Interstage decoupler -- if enabled, all decouplers are triggered when engine fuel is depleted; timer configurable in config.

Thrust should now scale with the size of the model, as should the fuel volume.  So, 'much more powerful' is a relative term, and would wholly depend on the size of the decoupler.  Generally smaller sizes (<5m) should be less powerful, and larger sizes (>5m) should be more powerful.

Edited by Shadowmage

3 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

Was anything changed to SC-GEN Radial? The thrust seems to have increased a lot and the flames destroy anything near it (wings/tanks etc).

Have not changed anything on that part in this release; the last change was adjusting the direction of the thrust transforms.  Perhaps that change is what is now resulting in destroyed stuff? 

Try turning off the exhaust damage in the config.  I noticed that it was enabled earlier while I was working through the effects stuff, and for a utility part such as this it is probably best to disable it. (have already done so in dev code).

OK will do.  I've used them on the last release though, but this time the tanks were closer to each other, maybe that is the difference. I'll test some more and switch the damage off otherwise..

The new way of ejecting is a lot nice, no boosters overtaking the core etc and the glide away nicely. Thanks for that change!

Gotcha on the auto-decouple!!! Took a couple of passes of reading it before the lightbulb went on. Nice feature, I'll test it out right away.

[edit] Just tested it. OMG, this is so freaking cool!!!

And this happened after an abort ;)  Funny!
soyuz_dart.jpg

Edited by Jimbodiah

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.