Top Gun AI - The Official Tournament Thread

I HAVE BEEN VERY BUSY LATELY, AND HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO KEEP UP WITH THE THREAD. THE RULES TEND TO DIFFER TOURNEY TO TOURNEY, SO YOUR BEST BET IS TO ASK IN THIS THREAD. ALSO, PM ME IF ANY CHANGES TO THE OP NEED TO BE MADE. THANK YOU.

o37n8ol.png

Welcome to Top Gun AI, in which you will pit your best fighter designs against another, in a single elimination style tournament. May the best engineer win. :P

For those who are unfamiliar with Top Gun AI, and haven't seen the other thread yet, the premise is simple; you will build a plane, within a certain point limit, and then the tournament host will draw random seeds, and the designs will fight. Usually, each match is a best of 5.

All tournaments will be recorded and posted on YouTube, with #TopGunAI in the title.

Rules (ALL RULES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE BASED ON THE TOURNAMENT

-No mods. (Except for BDarmory)

-Fights are 2v2

-Fights are best of 5

-The last flying aircraft wins. If both are destroyed in the sky, the round is considered a draw.

-There is no part hard cap, however try to keep it low, for the sake of our PC's

-ALL DESIGNS MUST HAVE A COCKPIT, PROBES ARE NOT ALLOWED.

-REACTION WHEELS ARE ALSO NOT ALLOWED. They are stupidly OP.

-All designs must be withing the point limit, which is stated below.

-All turrets MUST be fixed forward

-One entry per tournament, unless stated otherwise.

-No clipping fuel tanks or engines. They can be slightly clipped for looks, but not completely inside each other. Structural parts and ammo, guns, gear, etc. Is ok. Wings are OK as long as you're not putting all your wings inside the plane.

Point System

60 point limit

-AIM-120 - 4

-AIM-9 - 6

-All other missiles - 4

-Flares - 3

Chaff - 2

Hammers - 20

-Ammo Can - 4 points (all types)

-.50 cal turret - 4 points

-GAU 8 30mm - 14 points

-M230 - 6 points

-Vulcan Hidden - 7 points

-Vulcan Turret - 7 points

-Goalkeeper - Banned

-Abrams Cannon - Banned

-M102 - Banned

-Millennium Cannon - Banned

ABL Laser - Banned

The points are also subject to change based on tournament rules, and if we notice trends in designs. (Countermeasure spam, etc.)

Setting up matches

If you are not already aware, BDarmory has an AI system, that is able to fly and fight planes. (As well as ground vehicles, but that is not our concern)

To set up the match, all planes will be Hyperedited into position, and then the host will quicksave, and start the match.

Star position will differ depending on who is hosting the tournament, but will usually be one of these.

y2BEVXm.png

I should note, I will not be hosting the tournaments, I do not possess a powerful enough PC. t3hJimmer is the one to run the tournaments usually, but anyone can as long as they know how

PLEASE KEEP ALL NON- TOURNAMENT RELATED DISCUSSION ON THE DISCUSSION THREAD. THIS THREAD IS MEANT FOR TOURNAMENTS, AND TOURNAMENTS ONLY.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/129182-Gauging-interest-stock-BD-Armory-dogfighters-AI-tournament

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPyRv7XclIA-KIWR5VzrbBw/videos

Also, t3hJimmer has lots of nice videos of matches on his channel. Be sure to check them out to see what Top Gun AI is like!

And lastly, have fun, and see you in the skies!

Edited by RocketTurtle

bmtgy8j.png

I've finally decided to publish my entry. It is a pretty basic fighter that just turned out to be a good mix between being maneuverable and maintaining stability to fire it's Vulcans accurately. It is also armed with 4x AIM-9 missiles for initial engagement. Airbrakes help with yaw stability during horizontal turns at lower speeds.

XMF-1

Max Speed: ~1200m/s ASL due to overheating

Powerplant: 2x J-X4 Turbo Ramjet Engines.

Armament:

4x AIM-9 (4pts) - 16 points

2x 20mm Ammo Box (4pts)- 8 points

2x 20mm Integrated Vulcan cannons (9pts) - 18 points

2x Countermeasure Pods (5pts) - 10 points

TOTAL: 52 points.

See you in the skies! :D

EDIT: Whoops, forgot the download link!

http://kerbalx.com/crafts/4063?download=true

Craft page, for some reason:

http://kerbalx.com/EvenFlow/XMF-1

Edited by EvenFlow
Adding a download link for the craft! c:

Well I have two that are ready to fight,

the first is the next generation of one of my aircraft the subat 2 mk1 with a total of 60 points:

6 x aim9x sidewinders(4pts)=24 points

2 x hidden 20mm vulcan(9pts)=18 points

2 x Ammo Cans(4pts)=8 points

2 x countermeasure pods(5pts)=10 points

(total of 63 parts with 2x turbojets)

the second one is the NF-1B Sea rat with a total of 52 points:

4 x aim9(4pts)=16 points

2 x ammo boxes(4pts)=8 points

2 x 20mm hidden vulcana(9pts)=18 points

(total of 34 parts with 1x turbo jets)

usdspNo.png?1

the subat is the more maneuverable of the two while the sea rat takes off in much less distance and the smaller of the two.

http://i.imgur.com/bmtgy8j.png

I've finally decided to publish my entry. It is a pretty basic fighter that just turned out to be a good mix between being maneuverable and maintaining stability to fire it's Vulcans accurately. It is also armed with 4x AIM-9 missiles for initial engagement. Airbrakes help with yaw stability during horizontal turns at lower speeds.

XMF-1

Max Speed: ~1200m/s ASL due to overheating

Powerplant: 2x J-X4 Turbo Ramjet Engines.

Armament:

4x AIM-9 (4pts) - 16 points

2x 20mm Ammo Box (4pts)- 8 points

2x 20mm Integrated Vulcan cannons (9pts) - 18 points

2x Countermeasure Pods (5pts) - 10 points

TOTAL: 52 points.

See you in the skies! :D

Looks good. When the we get enough entries, we'll have a tournament. You'll have to post the .craft.

(Also, i'd suggest banning the ABL Laser. It might be a bit too OP for this challenge and it was not mentioned from what i saw in the rules. Sorry for spamming a bit too.)

Good idea. And talking is fine as long as it's related to tournaments. The discussion thread is for discussing designs, etc.

Well I have two that are ready to fight,

the first is the next generation of one of my aircraft the subat 2 mk1 with a total of 60 points:

6 x aim9x sidewinders(4pts)=24 points

2 x hidden 20mm vulcan(9pts)=18 points

2 x Ammo Cans(4pts)=8 points

(total of 63 parts with 2x turbojets)

the second one is the NF-1B Sea rat with a total of 52 points:

4 x aim9(4pts)=16 points

2 x ammo boxes(4pts)=8 points

2 x 20mm hidden vulcana(9pts)=18 points

(total of 34 parts with 1x turbo jets)

http://i.imgur.com/usdspNo.png?1

the subat is the more maneuverable of the two while the sea rat takes off in much less distance and the smaller of the two.

Those are cool. Given by how the fights have gone, if the Sea Rat's takeoff is a substantial difference, I would pick that. The takeoff speed has been extremely important in the past tournaments.

Also, like I said above, you'll have to chose one to enter in the next tournament.

Those are cool. Given by how the fights have gone, if the Sea Rat's takeoff is a substantial difference, I would pick that. The takeoff speed has been extremely important in the past tournaments.

Ok, just edited the subat and now takes off at around 65-80m/s(same as the sea rat) so i think i will be using the subat.

Edited by Im The One

From the wrong thread:

That was... extremely painful. However, I demand a rematch! New planes, no-holds-barred, no restrictions 1v1 fight to the death! I'm already building a floating fortress with huge cannons and armor.

Actually I'd prefer if you kept discussion of previous tournaments on the old thread, to prevent confusion.

This is basically the start of making these tournaments more organized and easier to find. I'll keep the OP updated based on the ongoing tournament.

Ok, just edited the subat and now takes off at around 65-80m/s(same as the sea rat) so i think i will be using the subat.

That's cool. I also recommend fiddling with your AI settings, because that is all up to you. You can set the minimum and default altitude really low, so your craft will engage first, however it poses the risk of crashing into the ground. So chose wisely. :P'

Right now I'm waiting for t3hJimmer to reply to this thread, as he will likely be hosting the tournaments, because he can record them, and knows how.

Once he does, I'll get all the craft files, and once I think there are enough planes, I'll draw seeds, and we will fight them.

Odd problem, that. Might be worth trying Konstructs on a bone stock install, might be another mod conflict?

The idea of arenas is nice - we can use polar caps, deserts, or even mountain ranges to catch out the really low min altitudes!

Yeah it would be really cool if we could have multiple runways set up for the planes to take off from.

The perfectly reproducible conditions are why I suggested just that. Having a change of scenery from the KSC is also nice.

I kinda want to learn BDArmory and try this challenge. What is the weapon point limit? I don't see it in the OP.

i do not believe that their is a point limit as of now, what it seems to me is their maybe ranges of points that act as categories that way you don't have an aircraft loaded with missiles fighting a small fighter with a very small amount of missiles.

I kinda want to learn BDArmory and try this challenge. What is the weapon point limit? I don't see it in the OP.
i do not believe that their is a point limit as of now, what it seems to me is their maybe ranges of points that act as categories that way you don't have an aircraft loaded with missiles fighting a small fighter with a very small amount of missiles.

Wow I'm dumb. The limit is 60 points. xD

My Blizzard is armed with 2 missiles, 2 Vulcans, 4 ammo cans, and 3 countermeasure pods, bringing it to 57 points.

No mods? Kinda a deal breaker for me. I need my B9 Procedural Wings and my Quiztech Aerospace.

Well, we've always done the tourney with no mods, but we can probably do a modded tournament in the future.

We already have quite a lot of submissions from the old thread, so if we wanted to do a modded tournament we'd probably have to wait quite a while for people to submit their modded aircraft.

I don't run these tournaments, I simply created this thread because the old one was really disorganized, and it was hard to find the rules, etc.

As I mentioned earlier, t3hJimmer usually runs them, however he hasn't replied.

I personally would love to do a modded tournament, though.

I'll sacrifice my Budgie... Have no idea how she'll do, but the design philosophy really embraces the moar power attitude....

2x Hidden Vulcans

2x Ammo box (20mm)

4x AIM-120

2x AIM-9

2x Countermeasure

Total: 60 Points

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jpa9w9xgsfiln7c/Budgie.craft?dl=0

I'd also love to see Quiztech and Mk2 Expansion parts...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.