Any aerospike engines?

Esme

Hello!

are there any mods that add aerospike engines to KSP, especially large ones? Please note - it's proper aerospikes I'm interested in rather than the plugnozzle design in stock that is erroneously called an aerospike. I'm mainly wanting something like a Pegasus/Ithacus type vehicle to use as a standardised heavy lifter to LKO, although it might be nice to be able to build a smaller version that could be used as a manned Duna lander. I've some interest in linear aerospikes designs for Shuttle-type craft, but am most interested in large circular aerospikes.

Esme

There is a much better model of stock aerospike in Ven's stock revamp. Also, OPT spaceplane, Nertea's Mk4 expansions, and some others feature linear aerospikes. RLA stockalike has one as well, but made more for rockets, not spaceplanes.

I think he is looking for a linear aerospike based on his request.

Fortunately, there is at least one work in progress mod that adds one.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/111691-WIP-1-0-4-QuizTech-Aero-Pack-v1-2-9-x-Updated-8-9-15

OP: The "plug nozzle" is not erroneously called an aerospike, it's just a different type. One is a Linear aerospike and the other is a toroidal aerospike. Saying it is not an aerospike would be like saying a sailboat is not a boat because it doesn't have a gas engine.

Edited by Alshain

• 2 weeks later...

Alshain, s/he does want annular. Pegasus and Ithacus did not use linear. Best bet would indeed be using the one from Ven's but probably squashing it a bit, if I remember the small version shown for SASSTO.

Esme: you might also like the old, somewhat ugly, but still serviceable one in Novapunch. IIRC it had a multitude of chambers ringing it, as God and Phil Bono intended. ^_^

"OPT Space plane" seems to have a linear aerospike: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97525-1-0-4-WIP-OPT-Space-Plane-v1-7

8F4Jm8Bl.png

and "Mark IV Spaceplane System" has something the mod author describes as a "multimode torroidal aerospike engine" which seems to be 2,5 m in diameter http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/101699-1-04-Mark-IV-Spaceplane-System-The-redo-everything-update-bigger-and-better-(24-07-15)

oWuc3fYl.png

It's not exactly what you asked for, but might still be worth checking out

Edit: Just saw that sashan already mentioned those ...

Edited by mysteriosmind

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.